Ex-Panther alert - Carolina set to release Pro Bowl DT Kawann Short

He's been a total waste of space since he signed the extension in Carolina. I totally get why everyone on here immediately rejects him but hold your horses. He is already getting over 9 million from Carolina to not play for them. You could probably get him for close to vet minimum and cut Vernon Butler freeing up cap space. You're upgrading at 3T for less money and you wouldn't be depending on him because Oliver is the future. This could happen. 

• Like (+1) 2

I love ya Chevy, but we just Busted playfully 78’s chops on a new thread for everyone being a cap casualty.  My apologies 78 as you tried to rectify and changed you’re title to cap or possible cap casualties.  If you guys want to start a new thread for the next 40 guys as cap casualties, but I’ll give 78 credit, he tried to get them lumped into one thread and would probably have 100 pages so we can just keep track of it.  

Im not a mod so whatever you guys want.  This is going to get long meaning a new thread almost everyday if it’s a new one for every hit.  You guys discuss and decide.

Edited by machine gun kelly

18 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Doesn't fit what we need. He's always been a 3 tech at his best

We are set at 3 tech with Oliver, and Jefferson .. short would be an expensive and old option

Do you think we’ll keep Jefferson?

Short seems like a guy what wouldn’t cost very much and, if healthy, could outperform his contract, hence good value with not much risk (low salary).  I haven’t seen him play in a couple years, similar to at least 90% of the posters in this thread that say he’s done.  I won’t say he’d be a terrible pickup just because he’s from Carolina and has been hurt.  To those that say he’s done, have you actually watched him? Or just look at his stats and injuries and assume?

Based on what I saw from Jefferson last season and what I’ve known about Short in the past, I think I’d rather role the dice on Short IF we can get him for 2-4M a year,  than keep Jefferson.  

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Pass.  Not an area of need, old and injury-prone.

Who do you believe will be our backup 3T?

I believe that Oliver’s backup will be an area of need, as I think we should and will cut Jefferson and Butler.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Were you disappointed with Daryl Williams?

Some see Carolina and immediately sigh and say no.

I haven’t see him play recently, so I’m not sure either.  Bring him in and see how he looks.  Offer him a team friendly contract if he looks like he can contribute imo.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Do you think we’ll keep Jefferson?

Short seems like a guy what wouldn’t cost very much and, if healthy, could outperform his contract, hence good value with not much risk (low salary).  I haven’t seen him play in a couple years, similar to at least 90% of the posters in this thread that say he’s done.  I won’t say he’d be a terrible pickup just because he’s from Carolina and has been hurt.  To those that say he’s done, have you actually watched him? Or just look at his stats and injuries and assume?

Based on what I saw from Jefferson last season and what I’ve known about Short in the past, I think I’d rather role the dice on Short IF we can get him for 2-4M a year,  than keep Jefferson.  

I mean I think it all depends on the deal short wants.  Jefferson was coming on at the end of the season, and he actually is pretty disruptive

At his peak short was a bigger stronger better player, and I wouldn't say he's done... But I'm not sure how much he has left

His quickness was one of his best assets for a huge man , and he's lost a step

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I believe that Oliver’s backup will be an area of need, as I think we should and will cut Jefferson and Butler.

By the time the new league year officially sets in I think there will be a lot more vets like Short available. Many of these guys like Short, Sheldon Rankins, etc will probably take some cheap “prove it” or ring chasing deals. The Bills getting to the AFCCG with a developing QB makes many of these guys relatively affordable options. As such.... I’m in wait and see mode because I think Beane will find a good match once all cap casualties hit the market. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I haven’t see him play recently, so I’m not sure either.  Bring him in and see how he looks.  Offer him a team friendly contract if he looks like he can contribute imo.  

Phillips and Zimmer.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Not at all.... the one ex Carolina Panther they signed who actually performed well. 

Still, Williams is younger and had been an all pro. Short is 32 and as mentioned has been injury prone and not been on the field the past two seasons. 

The one ex Carolina Panther I'd love for them to pursue is Curtis Samuel. 

Short has also been an All Pro.  Williams was bad and injury prone his last 2 years in Carolina....it's how we got him on a 1 year $2.5 million dollar contract to sign with the Bills this past year.

What would it hurt bringing in Short at something like that when you have a heavy rotation on the DL?  It doesn't guarantee he makes the roster and it doesn't keep you passing on someone who you might think is better.

• Like (+1) 3