Texans releasing JJ Watt

Can somebody sell me on Watt? He averaged .88 sacks per game start prior to 2019 and .38 after. His production in rushing the passer is less than 1/2 the level it used to be on a per start basis.

Is the thought he can be rejuvenated by a change in scenery, one more year and he will be even more healthy, playing in a 4-3 will help his production in pass rush, solid run D, play inside sometimes?  Sort of like a better version of Shaq Lawson? Are we getting so excited at his name or what we expect him to bring? I'm certainly interested in this storyline. Just don't know what to make of it yet if he does sign.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh please sweet baby Jesus, get it done Beane. Get it done right now

You don’t trade JJ Watt if you’re the Texans, you release him so he can go where he wants. It’s the classy move.

I think I figured this out.    1:14 AM Feb 24, 2021   1+1+4+2+4+2+0+2+1=17   Josh Allen! 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

Can somebody sell me on Watt? He averaged .88 sacks per game start prior to 2019 and .38 after. His production in rushing the passer is less than 1/2 the level it used to be on a per start basis.

Is the thought he can be rejuvenated by a change in scenery, one more year and he will be even more healthy, playing in a 4-3 will help his production in pass rush, solid run D, play inside sometimes?  Sort of like a better version of Shaq Lawson? Are we getting so excited at his name or what we expect him to bring? I'm certainly interested in this storyline. Just don't know what to make of it yet if he does sign.  

My angle is he played 90% of snaps and has been the focal point of preparation by opposing offenses his whole career. Hoping a lower % snaps can keep him healthy happy and rejuvenated. He'll be on a better defense, better coaching and supposedly the best training/ recooperating facilities in the league.

• Like (+1) 1
10 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

• Like (+1) 2
8 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

My angle is he played 90% of snaps and has been the focal point of preparation by opposing offenses his whole career. Hoping a lower % snaps can keep him healthy happy and rejuvenated. He'll be on a better defense, better coaching and supposedly the best training/ recooperating facilities in the league.

3 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Hmm, thank you guys.....This does have some intrigue. I mean, the Texans were pitiful last year and in theory Watts could have just been doubled almost every snap. He recovered with such force after the first injury...

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 1

One only has to google his 2020 highlights to see he still has it.  Total stud and instantly upgrades our run and pass defense.  I would get a total football chub if Beane manages to get Watt and resign Darryl Williams.  The rest I think we can manage through draft/FA.  

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This sounds more like he was just speculating than any inside info he has.

JJ Watt is unlikely to make any decisions until the QB situation around the league stabilizes.

Will Deshawn Watson be traded to Miami or another contender?

Is Rothlesburger retiring?

How about Dak Prescott, rumors are he could be traded, but where?

Etc...etc

44 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

The biggest thing for me is he was one of, if not the most double teamed guy in the league this past year (at least as far as edge-ish rushers go) and he was still productive. To me, this means that as long as he stays healthy, he should:

1. Free up Hughes, and to a larger extent, Oliver, to have more 1 on 1 matchups (particularly Oliver, who was very good when blocked by a single blocker but pedestrian against double teams)
  2. Improve our run defense
  3. Get pressure on the QB himself
  4. Continue deflecting passes at the line which could theoretically improve our tight end defense
  • Like (+1) 1
7 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

What a nice way of saying absolutely nothing at all.

“Watt will play for a team next season. He is currently picking which team he wants to play for. There are some suitors and the decision will be made eventually.”

• SDS locked this topic