Available players released from other teams

YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t think they would restructure Brown as you’re just kicking the can down the road.  With his injuries this year (I said this year not injury prone as that is not true if you look at his whole career), and subpar performance post injury, he probably would accept a pay cut.  No necessarily the minimum, but a hit.  

Why would he accept a pay cut?  He has a contract with the Bills for him to play and the Bills to pay him.  If the Bills were to follow some of yalls advice and dump him, some other team would be happy to pay him.

I remember we tried this with Fitz and he walked and we had to start EJ at QB cuz Kolb was cheaper. 

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Why would he accept a pay cut?  He has a contract with the Bills for him to play and the Bills to pay him.  If the Bills were to follow some of yalls advice and dump him, some other team would be happy to pay him.

I remember we tried this with Fitz and he walked and we had to start EJ at QB cuz Kolb was cheaper. 

Reddogg, go do a search as I’ve never posted to cut him.  Kroft, and one other took a pay cut last year as their leverage position was lower.  He’s at $9 mil, and I don’t see another team unless he can prove he is 2019 performance healthy.  I would love him back and don’t want to cut him, but a lot of players in 2021 are going to face a reality based on the team to a pay cut.  He’s not the only one.

we’re all entitled to our opinions, but never said cut him.  Cut would be first or cut pay and then restructure to spread out a much lower contract.  This team has a lot of players to extend and now we are in the Watt watch.  Hard decisions bud.  There are going to be losses.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

If he wants to stay on this team, which he obviously (imo) loves playing for, he will likely have to take a pay cut.  If he doesn’t, he rolls the dice on who he plays for and what he makes.  Playing for 7 mill on this team might be about as good as it gets for him

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If he wants to stay on this team, which he obviously (imo) loves playing for, he will likely have to take a pay cut.  If he doesn’t, he rolls the dice on who he plays for and what he makes.  Playing for 7 mill on this team might be about as good as it gets for him

I’m not sure there will be a big market for John brown, money wise. I could see him doing a restructure. Kicking the can down the road makes sense this year as the bills currently have 100 mill in cap space in 2022 and the SB window is now. Sure Josh and probably Edmunds will eat up some of that but not all.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

He probably will take a cut for three reasons: 

1- his value is low right now coming off a poor/injury riddled season. 

2- The WR and Draft markets are absolutely loaded with WR talent this year. As it stands now, he’d have trouble cracking the top 10 of FA WR’s. (Obviously some will not hit the market) 

3- The financials crunch the entire league is under means there isn’t much cheddar to go around.

all of that to say, it we offer him a decent valued restructure he will likely take it as being here will be best for his value rebuilding. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

2- The WR and Draft markets are absolutely loaded with WR talent this year. As it stands now, he’d have trouble cracking the top 10 of FA WR’s. (Obviously some will not hit the market) 

3- The financials crunch the entire league is under means there isn’t much cheddar to go around.

all of that to say, it we offer him a decent valued restructure he will likely take it as being here will be best for his value rebuilding. 

He also knows the offense and knows he will get the ball if healthy... makes his value greater next year. 

• Like (+1) 6

I hate that we are having to talk about re-structuring the quality of player and teammate that Brown has been. That being said, I hope that it happens because Smoke is a fantastic part of the team when healthy and he’s not likely to be in Buffalo next season if he doesn’t re-structure 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Maybe you're right.  I don't know.  I don't pretend to understand the salary cap. I don't know that anyone really does.  That's why teams have resident capologists earning 7 figure salaries.

I just remember how our offense looked when we had Allen and schmucks at WR.  Brown is a high quality WR and I hope we don't lose him.  I'll leave it at that.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Agree with the first part.  Brown would most certainly want the opportunity to market himself before accepting a pay cut.  A restructure that winds up paying him the same, sure.

I'm not sure Fitz is a good example.  For one thing, the Bills released him; for another, from what Fitz said in an interview, the Bills made him a single lowball offer and never responded when his agent countered.  I think Marrone really wanted a WCO QB.

5 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I just remember how our offense looked when we had Allen and schmucks at WR.  Brown is a high quality WR and I hope we don't lose him.  I'll leave it at that.

A reasonable counter to that perspective is to remember how our offense looked without Brown throughout this season. One could argue that they struggled to adjust to his absence early on (and struggled a bit for other reasons as well for a few games there), but then hit their absolute stride without John Brown in the lineup.

1. Diggs and Beasley are and should be the top two targets. 2. Defenses can try to specifically take away up to two passing options on a given play, as we've seen in the playoffs. 3. So when things get so matchup specific, the other targets need to be able to win against man coverage. Obviously it's a lot more complex than that, but then again, we've watched it essentially boil down to these kinds of isolated matchups. I have a few too many recollections of John Brown NOT winning his one-on-one opportunities when it really mattered most (against Baltimore in 2019 and in the playoffs both seasons). 

Love the guy. But I think Buffalo maximized his production in 2019, and he's no longer worth his contract given the reality of 2021's salary cap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I agree and think John Brown will take a pay cut.  IMO it is best for him and the Bills.  

Not sure how it would work.  He is making about $9.5 M and $1 M to cut him?  So, roll the $1 M into a new deal for one year? A 2nd year team option with no guaranteed money?

So, pay him $5 M for the year and heavy on the guaranteed money?  And it would save us $4.5 in 2021?

19 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not sure there will be a big market for John brown, money wise. I could see him doing a restructure. Kicking the can down the road makes sense this year as the bills currently have 100 mill in cap space in 2022 and the SB window is now. Sure Josh and probably Edmunds will eat up some of that but not all.

I agree.  Maybe something like $12-$13 M over two years.  $4 M guaranteed in 2021.  And, a roster bonus for $4 M next year.

Meaning if he plays well, we keep him in 2022 at a deal, but, easily cutable. And it gives JB a good income in an uncertain market that he can probably make $6-$7 M at best elsewhere.  I think he would want to stay for that giving him reasonable to good pay, a Championship caliber team with a great culture he believes in.  Lastly, he has the best chance with our team to put up big numbers for one last contract.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Agreed... I don't think a restructure is out of the realm of possibilities though.... and if he is released really hope they replace him with someone adequate and don't just count on Davis to fill the void. 

Agreed, but I wouldn’t mind so much if they believe Hodgins can step in and play a productive role this year and use the resources we saved on WR to go all in on a building a fierce pass rush.  

Diggs, Beasley, davis, Hodgins, resign mckenzie and than a mid/late rd pick or cheap FA could be good enough if our pass rush is a monster. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Zach Ertz, JJ Watt and draft equates to a Super Bowl appearance in my estimation 

Tough to do while trying to resign D Williams, Milano, and Feliciano. Would take some sort of cap wizardry on the part of Beane but I sure hell would be hyped for it. 

Hopefully we’re viewed as championship contenders and they leave a little on the table so we can round out the team. I would expect all of them to try and squeeze out every dollar. 

2 hours ago, Iamkrgr said:

Tough to do while trying to resign D Williams, Milano, and Feliciano. Would take some sort of cap wizardry on the part of Beane but I sure hell would be hyped for it. 

Hopefully we’re viewed as championship contenders and they leave a little on the table so we can round out the team. I would expect all of them to try and squeeze out every dollar. 

Do you forget?...Beane is a wizard!!