Geno Atkins and Richard Sherman are a couple of names that could help the Bills’ D

Tipster19

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m ok with adding post 30 players at this point of this team’s super bowl window if they are still close to their prime. I don’t think either of these two fall into that category. 

the only thing that gives me pause is Sherman’s intensity and success. I think he could’ve been moved the needle in the AFCCG with how the defense walked into the building as poyer was wrong when he said they had been through everything already. They hadn’t been in the biggest game against the best team and that’s a big jump from even the regular season game against the chiefs.

that said, not sure he works out as that leader as a depth guy. 

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Switch to safety maybe?  Or just give gus bradley a player voice?  The defense there was a bit devoid of identity so i could see it.

I think safety is where Sherm should be looking to play now. Not saying he is Charles Woodson but I think he could extend his career in a similar way by doing so. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think safety is where Sherm should be looking to play now. Not saying he is Charles Woodson but I think he could extend his career in a similar way by doing so. 

That's a good point. Wonder if that's something he is interested in doing? I could definitely see him making more of an impact at S than at DB at this point in his career. Would be interesting to see if that happens.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean....this year 5 sacks, but two years ago Mario Addison had 9.5 sacks.  3 years ago 9 sacks and if you go back 4 years ago 11!

By this same logic Addison was a great signing?

I'd say he was overpaid.  Of the signings on the definsive line though I'd say he had the greatest impact.  

As for Atkins - im not going to lie and say ive watched the bengals play at all.  Could be mis-cast in the defense, obviously 2020 was an injury wash year.  

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Played for years with thomas too, and vegas has a bit of a need for leadership and a center fielder.  He certainly has the size for the position.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Both been great players but both looked done to me last year. Pass on both.

5 hours ago, CSBill said:

No! On Sherman ..... non-process guy, best days way behind him. He would be Josh Norman 2.0

Atkins, forgot he was still in the league .... for a low-end no risk contract, sure. If he makes it, great! If not, "you've had a nice career, enjoy your next life."

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I'd be OK with Atkins for a year, although if we're going to go after a vet with a year or two left I'd take Watt first.  Sherman is a no for me.  We don't need an aged CB; we need more speed there and I want to see Jackson get his chance.

1 hour ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Maybe Atkins but not so sure about Sherman. At this point I don't see him as being any better than Norman this late in their careers.

Reference Sherman's ability...I realize that the below is 2019 and 2020 wasn't as great. Maybe he's fallen off the proverbial cliff.

But to say he's done or even at a Josh Norman-esque level is, I think, premature.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-rankings-top-25-cornerbacks-through-week-17

1. RICHARD SHERMAN, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

As PFF’s highest-graded cornerback, Richard Sherman has regained his dominance by perfecting a top-down technique that allows him to use his 6-foot-3 frame in the 49ers' single-high man-to-man or deep Cover-3 zone scheme. Sherman has always been a smart and savvy player who is a perfect fit for press coverage with a mix of both man and zone coverage. He has the NFL’s 10th-best forced incompletion rate (17.6%) and has allowed only one touchdown across 517 coverage snaps.

Above all, Sherman has the most coveted trait you want in any pass defender — he doesn’t allow big pass plays downfield. In 2019, he allowed only 8.4 yards per reception, third-best in the league, while just 13 of his 51 targets were converted to a first down, which was the fourth-best total by any player at his position.

Sherman plays with plenty of swagger, but his performance is backed up with plenty of substance, as evidenced by the fact that opposing quarterbacks have managed a passer rating of just 46.8 when throwing his way. As he wraps up his ninth NFL season, Sherman has hit the sweet spot of consistency by bringing his A-game to a top-10 defense.

Edited by timekills17

26 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I'd say he was overpaid.  Of the signings on the definsive line though I'd say he had the greatest impact.  

As for Atkins - im not going to lie and say ive watched the bengals play at all.  Could be mis-cast in the defense, obviously 2020 was an injury wash year.  

Played for years with thomas too, and vegas has a bit of a need for leadership and a center fielder.  He certainly has the size for the position.

I agree on Sherman. On Addison.... meh.... I suppose so. I thought Butler the second half of the year played the best in terms of a run of consistent games from any of the new guys but he was poor the first half of the year so that goes against him. 

I think Geno is done sadly, and I say that as someone who loved his game. On a really cheap deal I'd take a flier but the sort of money I'd be happy to pay him I think he'd rather retire than take....

12 minutes ago, timekills17 said:

Reference Sherman's ability...I realize that the below is 2019 and 2020 wasn't as great. Maybe he's fallen off the proverbial cliff.

But to say he's done or even at a Josh Norman-esque level is, I think, premature.

Sherman plays with plenty of swagger, but his performance is backed up with plenty of substance, as evidenced by the fact that opposing quarterbacks have managed a passer rating of just 46.8 when throwing his way. As he wraps up his ninth NFL season, Sherman has hit the sweet spot of consistency by bringing his A-game to a top-10 defense.

If I told you that the passer rating against him in 2020 was 116.2 and the completion percentage over 72% how would that change your view? He gave up 1 touchdown in coverage the whole of 2019. 4 in 2020. He could still play I think if he was willing to move inside and be a center fielder.... but on the boundary? I think it is over for him. 

EDIT: Just for comparison sake.... Norman (I know he played less) gave up 65.6% completion % and an 84.0 passer rating. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

On 2/4/2021 at 10:06 AM, Chicken Boo said:

I will not tolerate Geno slander on here.  He's been elite for too long.

Only 32, I'd definitely kick the tires on that one.

The slander is due to lack of significant production the last two seasons. 24 games and he has 9.5 sacks. 

Edited by The Jokeman

55 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I will not tolerate Geno slander on here.  He's been elite for too long.

Only 32, I'd definitely kick the tires on that one.

I've watched his whole career here in Cincy, I'd at least bring him in for a physical and a workout.

I'm so confused by people that want to get older on an already aging D-Line and a secondary we need to upgrade. We need to get younger. Pass on Atkins, Watt and Sherman. 

So weird, these people want to bring in these older guys but cut Morse. 

8 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Impending FA Richard Sherman would be a great addition to the Bills’ secondary and Geno Atkins should be available for next to nothing. Although Atkins is a bit long in the tooth he’s a former All Pro that I believe that still has a little left in the tank. I think he’s more of a victim of circumstance more than anything else. Being under a rather new regime and signing a massive contract extension back in 2018 I believe he’s caught in a numbers’ game more than anything else. McDermott likes aged veterans in his defense and a re-energized Atkins could be a nice little defensive find in a salary cap strapped year.

I went with "no" on Sherman in the other Sherman thread.  

Figured I would double down, since we have been given the opportunity...

Back in Madden2012, the first thing I would do to the Bills roster is trade whatever it took to get Atkins from Cincy. So I'm a big Atkins fan.

But that was 9 years ago.

And I feel like we have plenty of 3-techs, but no real 1-techs outside of Star. So that is where I'd rather focus any DT acquisitions.

I've been a big fan of both players, but I'm not really interested in bringing them in as they fall off the cliff.

If I had to pick one, I'm more interested in Atkins. But not as excited as I would have been a couple of years ago.

7 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

The slander is due to lack of significant production the last two seasons. 24 games and he has 4.5 sacks. 

Well, he was injured this season so that wouldn't count.  So his 4.5 sacks in 2019 would rank tied for 2nd on this team.  I'd expect that number to go up, being this defense is levels better than Cincinnati's.

Age 32 season, I believe, is when the Bills let Pat Williams walk in free agency.

Edited by Chicken Boo

13 hours ago, CSBill said:

No! On Sherman ..... non-process guy, best days way behind him. He would be Josh Norman 2.0

Atkins, forgot he was still in the league .... for a low-end no risk contract, sure. If he makes it, great! If not, "you've had a nice career, enjoy your next life."

Agree on Sherman. Is he an upgrade over Norman ?? Either re sign Norman at team friendly deal. Or draft mid to late round cb for depth. Move Jackson to active roster to complete w Levi. Corner is a moderate to low priority. 

21 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Geno is done sadly, and I say that as someone who loved his game. On a really cheap deal I'd take a flier but the sort of money I'd be happy to pay him I think he'd rather retire than take....

IMO he’d be an excellent addition in a cheap “finish out his career” contract. What’s particularly intriguing to me is that he has a very similar body size and skill set to Oliver and played at such a high level. I’d imagine that EO could benefit from picking Atkins brain for a year or so.