Haason Reddick - free agent I'd love

On 1/28/2021 at 2:57 PM, Victory Formation said:

I want JJ Watt. I think he’ll be cut. Wouldn’t pay him top money by any means, but if he’s serious about a Super Bowl and wants to go to a contender, Buffalo is a nice landing spot for him. We have no pass rush and if Watt has a rebound season it could potentially put our defense over the top.

Nostradamus???

• Haha (+1) 1

Of his talents, can he do the Hasson Chop? 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I would love to sign Haason Reddick but not sure if he's a fit in Mcd scheme. Mcd seems to favor bigger DEs . I'm not sure he's a great fit at Lber either because of his lack of coverage abilities.

Agreed.  He’d play the lorax/Aj Klein role for us imo.  I’m sure we’d find a way to have him get him more snaps to get after the qb, but Klein isn’t going anywhere due to his contract, so I don’t see Reddick as an option for us.  I

• 3 weeks later...

I really have never watched Reddick play... but this description really intrigues me:

https://theathletic.com/2419403/2021/03/02/nfl-free-agency-dl-edge-rankings-leonard-williams-shaq-barrett-headline-group/

Haason Reddick, Edge, Arizona Cardinals (27)

His background is different from the other players on this list in that Reddick has been both an edge rusher and an off-ball linebacker. He had a big second half last season and finished with 12.5 sacks, which was tied for fourth league-wide. Reddick finished second behind only Myles Garrett in Brandon Thorn’s sack score rankings. Reddick’s role in Arizona changed about 400 times in four seasons, but he has shown serious pass-rushing chops. He’s a hybrid-type player who could be really fun with the right defensive coordinator. The concern with Reddick is that he had just 7.5 sacks in his first three seasons.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, White Linen said:

Another issue is 5 of his 12.5 sacks came in one game against the Giants.  

So if you take away those sacks (which if you do that for every player, it would be crazy), he still leads us in sacks. He didn’t have a set position for a while in Arizona. Maybe he is a one year wonder but given his pedigree, this could just be a guy getting ready to take off. 

9 hours ago, White Linen said:

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So if you take away those sacks (which if you do that for every player, it would be crazy), he still leads us in sacks. He didn’t have a set position for a while in Arizona. Maybe he is a one year wonder but given his pedigree, this could just be a guy getting ready to take off. 

The biggest issue is he had far and away his best season in a contract year.  Pass.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

The biggest issue is he had far and away his best season in a contract year.  Pass.

He’s just entering his prime; he’s the former 13 pick; we just saw this with Hughes; and he didn’t have a set position for a bunch of his career.

If you believe in your coaches, it’s wild to dismiss a pass rusher this young who might have just figured out how to make it in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He’s just entering his prime; he’s the former 13 pick; we just saw this with Hughes; and he didn’t have a set position for a bunch of his career.

If you believe in your coaches, it’s wild to dismiss a pass rusher this young who might have just figured out how to make it in the NFL. 

Other than being a one game wonder, I see his biggest problem is positional fit.  He’s 6’1 230z. He’s a LB, not a DE.  

Where will he line up?  AZ played a 3-4. He played OLB.  

Is he going to play DE for us (@230).  Not full time.  No chance.  

Is he going to play Lorax’s hybrid spot, some LB, some pass rush?  That’s his best fit in our D.  

If that’s his role, what happens to Klein?  Is he now our 4th LB (making 6M)?  Does he take over for Milano?  Can we trust him to play 💯 of the snaps?  We’d probably have to draft a LB in the first 3 rds to take over for klein ASAP.  That a lot of resources invested into LB.  I’d rather just keep Milano and draft a couple pass rushers.  At least we know milano is good when healthy.  

Unless Reddick comes cheap, I don’t see him as a fit in this D considering our current roster and scheme.  If we were to switch up our scheme drastically, than maybe he makes more sense

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Point taken, however I think when 40% of a players sack production comes in 1 game against a weak opponent, you have to factor that in.

39 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Point taken, however I think when 40% of a players sack production comes in 1 game against a weak opponent, you have to factor that in.

And when 25% of your career sacks come in 1 game against a weak opponent, in a contract year...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Other than being a one game wonder, I see his biggest problem is positional fit.  He’s 6’1 230z. He’s a LB, not a DE.  

Is he going to play Lorax’s hybrid spot, some LB, some pass rush?  That’s his best fit in our D.  

If that’s his role, what happens to Klein?  Is he now our 4th LB (making 6M)?  Does he take over for Milano?  Can we trust him to play 💯 of the snaps?  We’d probably have to draft a LB in the first 3 rds to take over for klein ASAP.  That a lot of resources invested into LB.  I’d rather just keep Milano and draft a couple pass rushers.  At least we know milano is good when healthy.  

Unless Reddick comes cheap, I don’t see him as a fit in this D considering our current roster and scheme.  If we were to switch up our scheme drastically, than maybe he makes more sense

Puff, puff, pass

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

And when 25% of your career sacks come in 1 game against a weak opponent, in a contract year...

The way to adjust is to reduce the extreme number to a garden-variety very good game number -- 2/2.5. That leaves him with 9.5-10 sacks, which is very good. He also had 15 tackles for loss, 6 forced fumbles, and 4 passes defensed. That's a very good season, Plus you can't coach speed, and he's a 4.52 guy. Sign me up for more fast guys.

This is all academic because some other team is going to pay him more than the Bills will. Good pass rushers are simply too hard to find.  

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, dave mcbride said:

The way to adjust is to reduce the extreme number to a garden-variety very good game number -- 2/2.5. That leaves him with 9.5-10 sacks, which is very good. He also had 15 tackles for loss, 6 forced fumbles, and 4 passes defensed. That's a very good season, 

He is a playmaker.......which is so undervalued on this board, IMO.   I am down on Edmunds because he makes NONE.    If they start calling offensive holding again Reddick might see a bump too.    Perhaps not as much as the big targets who are easier to grab without it look like an absolute mugging.......but nonetheless that kind of sack production in a season where the OL was allowed to tackle DL was impressive.    I think the Bills were in on him in that draft too if I recall those rumors.    I doubt he falls in their price range but intriguing weapon.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

A LorAx type role might work really for us, especially this season due to the cap. Pay a little bit more to get a guy who can play both positions and lessen the Milano blow while picking up a pass rusher. Gives us some flexibility in the draft and UfA in the coming seasons well. 

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He is a playmaker.......which is so undervalued on this board, IMO.   I am down on Edmunds because he makes NONE.    If they start calling offensive holding again Reddick might see a bump too.    Perhaps not as much as the big targets who are easier to grab without it look like an absolute mugging.......but nonetheless that kind of sack production in a season where the OL was allowed to tackle DL was impressive.    I think the Bills were in on him in that draft too if I recall those rumors.    I doubt he falls in their price range but intriguing weapon.

The thing about Edmunds is that he was a playmaker in one category before 2020 - passes defensed. He had 12 in his rookie season, which was second in the league among non-secondary players. He was pretty good the next season too with 9, but this year he only had 3. I'm not saying he's in decline, and this is a stat that's pretty spiky anyway. But the fact of the matter is that until this season he has been a better-than-average pass defender for a linebacker. In a passing league, that's important. And there's really no difference between a pass defensed and either a stuff on a running play or a sack at the LOS. 

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The thing about Edmunds is that he was a playmaker in one category before 2020 - passes defensed. He had 12 in his rookie season, which was second in the league among non-secondary players. He was pretty good the next season too with 9, but this year he only had 3. I'm not saying he's in decline, and this is a stat that's pretty spiky anyway. But the fact of the matter is that until this season he has been a better-than-average pass defender for a linebacker. In a passing league, that's important. And there's really no difference between a pass defensed and either a stuff on a running play or a sack at the LOS. 

He clearly declined in pass coverage imo.  IIRC, the qbr when targeting him was 125+.  One of the highest numbers I’ve seen.  

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

He clearly declined in pass coverage imo.  IIRC, the qbr when targeting him was 125+.  One of the highest numbers I’ve seen.  

Yeah, I get that, but I certainly don't think it's physical decline given how young he is. Point is, he's capable of playing at a high level in pass coverage and has proved it. He just needs to fix his game.

14 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

A LorAx type role might work really for us, especially this season due to the cap. Pay a little bit more to get a guy who can play both positions and lessen the Milano blow while picking up a pass rusher. Gives us some flexibility in the draft and UfA in the coming seasons well. 

Klein was playing the lorax role.  If we sign reddick, does klein start in milanos spot?  Playing 3 LB sets is rare for a McD D.  Maybe we switch it up this year?  Taron Johnson would than get less snap.  

I’m a big believer that there are several ways to skin a cat.  If McD is willing to get creative with his personnel, I’d be all for it as long as it doesn’t break the bank.  I love his athleticism. 

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yeah, I get that, but I certainly don't think it's physical decline given how young he is. Point is, he's capable of playing at a high level in pass coverage and has proved it. He just needs to fix his game.

Either that or the opponents have figured out what made him successful in year 1+2 and schemed away from his strengths.  He was pretty bad in coverage the majority of the year.  Can’t believe they voted him to the pro bowl (not that it’s a big deal, but he definitely didn’t deserve the nod.)

I hope he gets his **** figured out.  I really hope we don’t have the same type of play at MLB again this year. 

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

The way to adjust is to reduce the extreme number to a garden-variety very good game number -- 2/2.5. That leaves him with 9.5-10 sacks, which is very good. He also had 15 tackles for loss, 6 forced fumbles, and 4 passes defensed. That's a very good season, Plus you can't coach speed, and he's a 4.52 guy. Sign me up for more fast guys.

This is all academic because some other team is going to pay him more than the Bills will. Good pass rushers are simply too hard to find.  

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Reddick has talent.  But that talent did little for his first 3 years (7.5 sacks during that time) and as such the Cards didn't even give him a 5th year option.  What I'm saying is that it's caveat emptor.

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

Reddick has talent.  But that talent did little for his first 3 years (7.5 sacks during that time) and as such the Cards didn't even give him a 5th year option.  What I'm saying is that it's caveat emptor.

Agreed, but he essentially played a different position in his first three seasons (OLB). He was almost entirely an edge player this past season. 

• Like (+1) 3

14 hours ago, White Linen said:

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

How many sacks does Matt Milano have?

If Reddick were to come into Buffalo, he might be viewed as more of a cross between Edge Rusher/Big Nickel.... which I'm curious about.  Reddick is bigger and faster than Milano and from what I've read in some of his scouting reports he does have experience in coverage.

I don't know that he's the guy we want or target because I do think he'll get paid.  But sometimes players just need a change of scenery to really thrive.... just ask Jerry Hughes.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

How many sacks does Matt Milano have?

If Reddick were to come into Buffalo, he might be viewed as more of a cross between Edge Rusher/Big Nickel.... which I'm curious about.  Reddick is bigger and faster than Milano and from what I've read in some of his scouting reports he does have experience in coverage.

I don't know that he's the guy we want or target because I do think he'll get paid.  But sometimes players just need a change of scenery to really thrive.... just ask Jerry Hughes.

I'm not arguing that possibility.   I'm just saying his 12.5 sacks are a bit of a mirage.

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Defending passes alone doesn't really discourage QB's though.

I think the information is out there that Edmunds simply isn't going to intercept or force a fumble if you throw at him..........so QB's attacked him more fearlessly this year.    We saw QB's throwing at him when he was actually in good coverage.......with excellent results.........his passer rating against was ghastly.    Call it a latter day case of "Thomas Smith syndrome".  

I also wonder if experience hasn't taken aggressiveness out of his game.    He's a shadow of the playmaker that he was as a rookie......... in GAME ONE of his career he showed his potential with a TFL/strip fumble play.   That's somehow still probably the highlight play of his career.:doh:

It's criminal the way they waste his potential in the middle.     People who doubt that.........look at the astonishing difference that putting Reddick on the LOS made to his productivity.  Edmunds should be an absolute stud pass rusher.    I thought he was the best PR prospect in that draft and I wasn't alone in that thought, even on this board.    Speaking of that.........anyone know whatever happed to @thebandit27?

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Hughes had 5 sacks his first 3 years. I don’t think HR has any character or work ethic concerns.  Sometimes it takes a bit. 

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

I'm not arguing that possibility.   I'm just saying his 12.5 sacks are a bit of a mirage.

So trending up when you’re 26 is a bad thing? Would it have been better if he had 12.5 sacks as a rookie and went backwards?

This team badly needs a legit number 1 pass rusher. Dude is probably going to be too expensive but I don’t why so many are quick to dismiss a guy trending in the right direction. Double digit sack guys entering their prime rarely hit the open market. 

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Agreed, but he essentially played a different position in his first three seasons (OLB). He was almost entirely an edge player this past season. 

What position do you think he would play for us?  He’s 230lbs

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Defending passes alone doesn't really discourage QB's though.

I think the information is out there that Edmunds simply isn't going to intercept or force a fumble if you throw at him..........so QB's attacked him more fearlessly this year.    We saw QB's throwing at him when he was actually in good coverage.......with excellent results.........his passer rating against was ghastly.    Call it a latter day case of "Thomas Smith syndrome".  

I also wonder if experience hasn't taken aggressiveness out of his game.    He's a shadow of the playmaker that he was as a rookie......... in GAME ONE of his career he showed his potential with a TFL/strip fumble play.   That's somehow still probably the highlight play of his career.:doh:

It's criminal the way they waste his potential in the middle.     People who doubt that.........look at the astonishing difference that putting Reddick on the LOS made to his productivity.  Edmunds should be an absolute stud pass rusher.    I thought he was the best PR prospect in that draft and I wasn't alone in that thought, even on this board.    Speaking of that.........anyone know whatever happed to @thebandit27?

Perfectly stated. 

I noticed that @thebandit27 wasn’t around in December and sent him a PM to see if everything was alright.  Was surprised that he wasn’t more active here during such an exciting time.  He’s yet to reply. 😞. I hope everything is alright 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/28/2021 at 2:15 PM, dave mcbride said:

He is a FA, and he's a lot more appealing to me than Milano (who I also like). I don't think we'll get him, but man, did he blow up this season after a mediocre first three years (young talented players do get better!). He'd 12.5 sacks and finished 3rd in the league in tackles for a loss with 15. That's 27.5 negative yardage plays. He also had SIX forced fumbles and four passes defensed. He also runs a 4.52 40. My guess is that he gets north of $15 million per. One can dream. 

1). Don't think he's a good match for Bills 4-3 D. I think Milano is far better for what this D. Wants to do.

2). I think your math iis off. A sack is,by definition,a tackle for loss. 

58 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hughes had 5 sacks his first 3 years. I don’t think HR has any character or work ethic concerns.  Sometimes it takes a bit.

The Bills certainly got lucky with Hughes.  But they basically traded nothing (Kelvin Sheppard) for him and didn't have to pay him much initially so it was a worthwhile gamble.  Reddick is going to be looking for big bucks. 

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Bills certainly got lucky with Hughes.  But they basically traded nothing (Kelvin Sheppard) for him and didn't have to pay him much initially so it was a worthwhile gamble.  Reddick is going to be looking for big bucks. 

Which isn’t available until next year so I’m guessing he will sign a 1 year deal.  If he has another 10 plus sack year he will break the bank.  

Edited by Weatherman

3 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Which isn’t available until next year so I’m guessing he will sign a 1 year deal.  If he has another 10 plus sack year he will break the bank.  

There are some teams will a good amount of cap space.  All it takes is one to offer him a multi-year deal.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

There are some teams will a good amount of cap space.  All it takes is one to offer him a multi-year deal.

We shall see.  Most of those teams with a lot of cap have rosters that are gutted and need a QB.  

Just now, Weatherman said:

We shall see.  Most of those teams with a lot of cap have rosters that are gutted and need a QB.  

Yeah but there aren't QBs available.  They have to use the money on something.

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah but there aren't QBs available.  They have to use the money on something.

Nearly all QBs signed via FA to be the starter will command a min salary of $15M. That’s a huge chunk.  Dalton, Fitz, Smith should get $10M min and Trubisky / Crab Legs should get $15M+

Edited by Weatherman

1 minute ago, Weatherman said:

Nearly all QBs signed via FA to be the starter will command a min salary of $15M. That’s a huge chunk.  Dalton, Fitz, Smith should get $10M min and Bridgewater / Crab Legs should get $15M+

Bridgewater is signed through 2022.  The rest of those guys will be lucky to break $5M this year.