Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not apples to apples at all tho.

You need to be thinking back to the Ralph/Russ Bills. And then magnify the level of incompetence and dishonesty by about 1000X.

If I'm a Texans fans, I dont like the team trading Watson, but I'm more upset with the FO that created the situation that pushed Watson to want to be traded. They can be mad at Watson, or the trade, but the problems will persist well after he is gone. And that will ultimately prove that he is right in wanting a trade.

It wouldn’t change my love for the player.  It happened to me when I was a kid.  Joe Cribbs was my favorite player.  He left because of Ralph.   When he came back from the USFL and joined the Niners, I became a short lived niner fan.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea he holds the ball and tries to make a play when it breaks down rather than throwing it away... Wilson is similar in that regard... but Houston's line has been responsible for 80% of his sacks. They are awful. 

So has Wilson's lines.  I don't think either of them prefers to be constantly scrambling from D-line jailbreaks.  If Wilson always threw it away, they would never get beyond 8-8.

3 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

He's been sack prone his entire career then. You can't put it 100% on the line. It's also his style of play. 

Mahomes plays like that.  Is he "sack prone" too?  Josh runs around a lot and holds on the ball without throwing it away....is he sack prone?  How about a speedy improvisor like Murray?  Sack prone?

No.  They had 22, 26 and 27 sacks, respectively.  Watson's O-line stinks.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

It wouldn’t change my love for the player.  It happened to me when I was a kid.  Joe Cribbs was my favorite player.  He left because of Ralph.   When he came back from the USFL and joined the Niners, I became a short lived niner fan.  

Cribbs wasn’t the same player after he left Buffalo. I always liked him but he had a big problem staying healthy and I think that was one of the main factors on why Wilson didn’t want to pay him

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So has Wilson's lines.  I don't think either of them prefers to be constantly scrambling from D-line jailbreaks.  If Wilson always threw it away, they would never get beyond 8-8.

Agree I wasn't trying to suggest otherwise. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Cribbs wasn’t the same player after he left Buffalo. I always liked him but he had a big problem staying healthy and I think that was one of the main factors on why Wilson didn’t want to pay him

He was a great back up until he went to SF. He led the usfl in rushing yards in his first year in the league. He was leading the league in rushing in his second year and then stopped playing and went back to the nfl.  

regardless of how good he ended up being long term, my point was, I was pissed at the Bills for letting him go because he had a beef (and lawsuit) with the owner.  They could have paid him.  Instead, they were a laughing stock, going from 8-8 in 1983 to back to back 2-14 seasons without him.  

38 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

But those first two years in 80 and 81 Cribbs was to those teams what Thurman was to the early 90's teams.  I still think that 80 team would have gone to and maybe won the Super Bowl that year. Unfortunately Ferguson played the playoff game vs SD on one leg. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He was a great back up until he went to SF. He led the usfl in rushing yards in his first year in the league. He was leading the league in rushing in his second year and then stopped playing and went back to the nfl.  

regardless of how good he ended up being long term, my point was, I was pissed at the Bills for letting him go because he had a beef (and lawsuit) with the owner.  They could have paid him.  Instead, they were a laughing stock, going from 8-8 in 1983 to back to back 2-14 seasons without him.  

The Bills allowed 60 QB sacks for an NFL record at the time 554 yards in 1984 suggesting the troubles had more to do with Oline then RB IMO.

57 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Mahomes plays like that.  Is he "sack prone" too?  Josh runs around a lot and holds on the ball without throwing it away....is he sack prone?  How about a speedy improvisor like Murray?  Sack prone?

No.  They had 22, 26 and 27 sacks, respectively.  Watson's O-line stinks.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't see how anyone can definitively say it is all the lines fault or even divvy out some sort of percentage of blame. I'm guessing the truth is somewhere closer to the middle. 

I think Josh took a lot of sacks his first two years because 1. the line and skill players around him were not as good and 2. he became a better QB. better at recognizing pressure, avoiding pressure etc.

Also, in the case of Mahomes and Allen, I think they bail out of the pocket a lot more. Rolling right or left or back pedaling. End result is avoiding more sacks. When I watch Wilson and Watson, they don't do this as often is my impression. They like to hang in the pocket more often. This isn't necessarily a bad thing or a deal breaker. Both QB's are still extremely efficient. But I could see how it leads to more sacks.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

The Bills allowed 60 QB sacks for an NFL record at the time 554 yards in 1984 suggesting the troubles had more to do with Oline then RB IMO.

They carried over the same OL minus RT, where they actually upgraded in Joe Devlin over Justin Cross.

Regardless.....The Bills spent a first rd pick on his replacement and won 4 games over the 2 years he was gone.  Not Ralph’s finest moment imo

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Greg S said:

But those first two years in 80 and 81 Cribbs was to those teams what Thurman was to the early 90's teams.  I still think that 80 team would have gone to and maybe won the Super Bowl that year. Unfortunately Ferguson played the playoff game vs SD on one leg. 

No guts, no glory.

I would have liked to seen what a two legged Fergy could have done that year. 

If the Houston owner really did promise Watson that he would have some say into the GM hiring, then he is a complete idiot, and his team deserves to be as dysfunctional as can be.

I'm not sure what is worse, that he made the promise, or reneged on it?  What a clown show! 😂

Edited by BTB

5 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

He gone....

He is willing to sit it out until week 10 and then play to get his accumulated season with perhaps an injury like Plantars Fakeitis so he does not need to play more games.

Texans will need to fit his remaining salary under cap meaning they may need to cut some players whose salary is guarenteed.

All so Watson can keep his heavy-dollar-sign_1f4b2.pngigning bonuheavy-dollar-sign_1f4b2.pngfor an extension he willingly signed. 

1 hour ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Josh Rosen 2.0. 

Josh Rosen 1.5. 

1 hour ago, Figster said:

Tagovailoa performed admirably when thrust into the starting role in 2020. In 10 games, Tagovailoa completed 64.1 percent of his passes with 11 touchdowns against five interceptions

Performed admirably?  He was carried by rest of team.  Note stat quoted did not include number of pass yards or throws. Sounds like article written by agent.

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not apples to apples at all tho.

You need to be thinking back to the Ralph/Russ Bills. And then magnify the level of incompetence and dishonesty by about 1000X.

No need to magnify anything.

Then again, I am 99% pro-management anti-union, and this Deshaun Watson case sure as hell does not fit into the 1%. Let him stay home.

• Like (+1) 1