OT - Toilet question

rockpile

Damn, but you ask a lot of intelligent questions for a girl! I bet you like football too!  :w00t:

Basement toilet.

No pump.

City Sewer.

Problem is we got so much rain that the storm sewers could not handle the volume of water. When this happens, the storm sewer spills over into the sanitary sewer. When that gets overloaded, water backs up from the street to the house.. you get the picture.  :)

Corked the stationary tub so I did not get sewage coming up there. A neighbor suggested I cork my toilet with a tennis ball (it worked in their toilet) to stop it from backing up.

When I did that, my toilet ate the tennis ball.  :pirate:

I solved my problem, but I want to read some more comments before I give you the Final Jeopardy answer.  :)

24076[/snapback]

Due to sewage backups, Hamilton County Ohio (Cincinnati) has institied a program to clean up and make homeowners whole due to that problem. It took a lawsuit to have them do that, though.

And one day when you have about $450 sitting around. Instal one of those special pump things that stop this from happening when you have a below ground toilet. I had one when I lived in Grand Island because they have a high water table (whatever that means).

And one day when you have about $450 sitting around. Instal one of those special pump things that stop this from happening when you have a below ground toilet. I had one when I lived in Grand Island because they have a high water table (whatever that means).

24117[/snapback]

http://www.disasterresistant.com/

Any guesses on how I got the tennis ball out?

C'mon you wise asses! Yer so DAMN smart! :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Hint, the shop vac didn't work, heh. :pirate:

The straw didn't work, Hey, I eat Garbage Plates, I can suck out a toilet if I have to. :)

Couldn't find the kanudle valve (bend over you plumbing impaired bastids). :w00t:

Oh, by the way, my first house HAD an outside stevestojaner! You could tell when spring was near when the only pages left in the Sears catalog were the shiny ones. :)

Any guesses on how I got the tennis ball out?

C'mon you wise asses! Yer so DAMN smart!  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Hint, the shop vac didn't work, heh.  :flirt:

The straw didn't work, Hey, I eat Garbage Plates, I can suck out a toilet if I have to.  :P

Couldn't find the kanudle valve (bend over you plumbing impaired bastids).  :doh:

Oh, by the way, my first house HAD an outside stevestojaner! You could tell when spring was near when the only pages left in the Sears catalog were the shiny ones.  :w00t:

24130[/snapback]

In all seriousness, isnt there any way you could "stab" the tennis ball with something sharp and pull it out...

the perfect tool would be a spear of some sort... ya know, it would go in, but hold enough resistance against the inside of the ball when you started pulling it back out...

think along those lines.

24117[/snapback]

Oooooh, they have a love canal there too! :flirt:

Remove the toilet, which would only require a new wax seal when reinstalling it. Then you could push it back up with something like a plumbing snake. Close?

or

Find someone with small hands/arm would could reach in and snag it.

In all seriousness, isnt there any way you could "stab" the tennis ball with something sharp and pull it out...

the perfect tool would be a spear of some sort... ya know, it would go in, but hold enough resistance against the inside of the ball when you started pulling it back out...

think along those lines.

24148[/snapback]

Close, but NOPE! :flirt:

24117[/snapback]

A sump pump and pump well? That was a smart purchase!

One of the best things to stop water in a basement is to drill a hole in the slab, insert a plastic tube with an elbow connected to a flexible pvc hose that discharges into the sump well - relieves pressure as the water pours thru the hose into the well and gets pumped away. After you've paid for the sump pump and well (and DO get a battery back-up pump for when the power goes out like it does during storm events- about 200 - 300 bucks with constantly-charging battery), running that pressure-relieving line is about ten bucks.

WNY is a wet area with porous dolomite rock beneath the soil.

how far down is the tennis ball? is it visible?

by the way... your toilet must not be of the highest quality. Im pretty sure I've crapped out something bigger than a tennis ball in my day, and the toilet had no problem with it.

24168[/snapback]

Ah, but I was hesitant to flush.....last resort before popping the porcelain. :flirt:

I really think it's awesome when this is the most popular thread of the day. That's why this place rocks!

This one is classic, and needs to be archived. SDS ... can you pin this one to the top for a while?

All I know is, Rock, if you have retrieved said tennis ball, will it become part of Sundays TBD Raffle? I think we could scare up some serious money with that thing,

24230[/snapback]

Hell, if you want it, Guff, I will give it to you! <ugh> It is still yellow! :flirt:

I really think it's awesome when this is the most popular thread of the day. That's why this place rocks!

This one is classic, and needs to be archived. SDS ... can you pin this one to the top for a while?

24215[/snapback]

See what happens on a slow news day? And here I thought that talk about whether or not GW really served a full stint in the reserve would be on everyone's mind! I would be in a real stevestojantty mood if that tennis ball suppository was still in place. :flirt:

Well.......Rock.

How'd you get it out ?

:w00t:

24408[/snapback]

Well se Rock was in the Navy and since he was so good at sucking raisins out of the Master Chiefs greased bellycutton, he just stuck his face in, stuck out his tongue and sucked that badboy out. :flirt:

Well.......Rock.

How'd you get it out ?

:flirt:

24408[/snapback]

He used the shop vac, but didn't suck... He blew, and out it came!

Rock, you've gotta install a one-way backflo valve on that bad boy.

You could get a stanky situation there if you keep playing Venus Williams to every stray thunderstorm that wanders by. :w00t:

Dont keep flushing the toilet- the tennis ball can get stuck deep in the plumbing then you have some serious problems. I accidently flushed a rag down the toilet and retrieved it with a toilet auger. A tennis ball would be much more tricky since it will not grab. I would call some plumbers(those guys screw you) get some quotes and go with the cheaper one. He might need to take the toilet off the base and it might be a production. Good luck! I hope you have other toilets in the meantime!

I just remembered a story from years ago. One of the sales people (a real ass) dropped a pen in the toilet while wiping. It in turn, caused some blockage. We tried using a snake to get it out, in the long run, since there was still stevestojan in the toilet, we just replaced the entire toilet.

Well.......Rock.

How'd you get it out ?

:D

24408[/snapback]

Gorsh, that sounds really personal, Harriet! :P

OK, I never flushed it (I knew that would not work). I was able to bend a coat hanger and hook the ball. I know it is boring when compared to sucking it out with a straw, but life is often mundane. :lol: