Jim Schwartz retiring? Taking at least one year off. Thanks for the great D in Buffalo

Draconator

If Frazier gets a HC job and leaves, which is a real possibility, maybe we could get Schwartz back as DC.  I think the personnel in Buffalo would fit his general model, and he could adapt his approach to the personnel as needed. 

If Frazier (or Daboll) leaves, the risk is that the replacement will be viewed as the guy who is now doing what Frazier would have done.  I would like a proven coordinator who can take the reins and make changes as needed.

5 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Agreed but at the time Terry and Kim where looking for a big name coach he was about as big a name as they could find 

And in that statement lies the problem they were officially plagued with. Why is that? Russ Brandon, in my opinion. His mind was always in marketing as opposed to fielding a solid team and changing the culture. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

If Fraizer gets a HC call.. who here wouldn't want Schwartz back in Buffalo?

Bills have had some very good DCs - Wade Phillips, Schwartz, Frazier - but Coach McD is first good DC I remember becoming our head coach who was a good one.

Do you remember the snow game in Detroit.  Do you think if Frazier leaves, McD would ever tolerate a DC getting hoisted up on their shoulders.  That’s their attitude back then.  

He was a good DC for us.  I don’t hold against him the failed HC gig.  We have the personnel to meet his style, but I don’t think McD wants a guy that doesn’t fit his style.  There’s nothing wrong with that philosophy.  McD was a driving force with Frazier having this defense increasing by the week throughout the year.

18 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Fletcher Cox is just starting to get old and Schwartz needs a 'generational' kind of talent at DT, so another smart move by him to avoid being exposed.

I think its more likely that whole staff gets gassed and they start a rebuild.

He just jumped ship before it got totally submerged.