Tua benched again - will start in Buffalo week 17

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

For all we know, in McDermott's mindset, that was the reason the team played so stagnant for half the game against Houston. McDermott compared to last year has changed from a conservative mindset to an aggressive one. I honestly don't think McDermott will rest his starters come week 17

But neither side of the ball started stagnant in last years wild card game. We were up 16-0 at the half so I don't think that was the reason we lost.

If I am McDermott I think I actually take a page out of Belicheck's handbook on how they've approached meaningless games in the past. It typically involves resting guys like Edleman or Gronk but having Brady start and play the entire first half. But a lot of handoffs and safe throws. BUT, my big concern with Josh would be that he's not wired to live another down and take the safe play. He could end up getting hurt because he's trying to complete a first down on 3rd and 13. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

Just now, Inigo Montoya said:

If Josh Allen gets injured playing in a meaningless Week 17 game against the Dolphins, every post on this message board will be dropping napalm on McDermott.  If there is nothing to play for, let the starters get in for a series, and then sit them just like last year. 

We didn't lose the Houston game because the starters rested the week before.  We came out hot and got on top of the Texans early and only a comedy of errors and bad officiating cost us the game.  

Who cares about what people on this forum will do.

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

The last thing anyone wants is the Dolphins to make the playoffs. The only thing that can beat this Bills team is luck... and the Dolphins have had a very lucky year.

I'd rather play the Phins than Derrick Henry in bad weather in Orchard Park.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

But neither side of the ball was stagnant in last years wild card game. We were up 16-0 at the half so I don't think that was the reason we lost.

If I am McDermott I think I actually take a page out of Belicheck's handbook on how they've approached meaningless games in the past. It typically involves resting guys like Edleman or Gronk but having Brady start and play the entire first half. But a lot of handoffs and safe throws. BUT, my big concern with Josh would be that he's not wired to live another down and take the safe play. He could end up getting hurt because he's trying to complete a first down on 3rd and 13. 

I'll concede that Allen may play the whole first half. But maybe less if McDermott determines that the Dolphins are out to try and hurt Allen. It's not like I'm worried about losing to Miami. We beat them with their better QB playing the whole game and Allen dropping over 400 on their defense in their own house

24 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Tua stinks.

Never an elite NFL QB prospect.

Kurt Warner had a great comment that Tua needs to get used to NFL open for WR's. And he has a larger learning curve than other QB's because of how talented Alabama is. 

Thing I dislike most about Tua is that he doesn't seem to have a single elite skill set of any kind. You're basically hoping he can be the second coming of Drew Brees. 

2 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I'd rather play the Phins than Derrick Henry in bad weather in Orchard Park.

Nah I would rather play anyone b.c the Bills should be able to beat anyone. The only thing you cannot control is luck and the Dolphins have a ton of it. Bills actually did fine against Henry and our defense is better now.

Edited by TBBills

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Kurt Warner had a great comment that Tua needs to get used to NFL open for WR's. And he has a larger learning curve than other QB's because of how talented Alabama is. 

Thing I dislike most about Tua is that he doesn't seem to have a single elite skill set of any kind. You're basically hoping he can be the second coming of Drew Brees. 

Tua is the left handed Baker Mayfield.

Tua and Baker are the same. Neither have a single elite skill or trait of any kind.

26 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Tua can't complete a pass beyond 10 yards.  So you play press man and rush 5-6 on every play.  He won't stand a chance.  We're lucky Flores is an idiot.  Fitz would at least force us to defend the whole field.

to be fair the dolphins have one of the least talented offenses in the league 

might be worse than ours in Allen’s rookie year 

Just now, TBBills said:

Nah I would rather play anyone b.c the Bills should be able to beat anyone. The only thing you cannot control is luck and the Dolphins have a ton of it. Bills actually did fine against Henry and our defense is better now.

THIS!

There is just something about this Dolphins team. They are getting every bounce. Their rookie QB is garbage yet they still compete and just about win every game. I'm not favoring any match up really. And a match up with the Dolphins would be frustrating because we could be up 10 at the half and totally shutting down Tua only to then have to deal with Fitz and a better offense in the second half. 

Just now, Penfield45 said:

to be fair the dolphins have one of the least talented offenses in the league 

might be worse than ours in Allen’s rookie year 

They are night and day better with Fitz under center. The offensive skill players are not nearly as bad as they seem. 

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

Who cares about what people on this forum will do.

My point is the same people advocating on this thread that the Bills play to win a meaningless Week 17 game will suddenly forget that opinion and nuke McDermott for being stupid enough to play Allen in a meaningless game.   

The chance of the Bills winning a single playoff game without Allen is <5%.  

Something about Tua just irks the heck outta me... The way he throws and looks out on the field.... I frankly can’t even stand the sight of the guy.... I hope it’s cold windy and snowing next weekend when the dolphins come to town cause I’d love to see our defense smash the living#%^* outta that guy....

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

THIS!

There is just something about this Dolphins team. They are getting every bounce. Their rookie QB is garbage yet they still compete and just about win every game. I'm not favoring any match up really. And a match up with the Dolphins would be frustrating because we could be up 10 at the half and totally shutting down Tua only to then have to deal with Fitz and a better offense in the second half. 

They are night and day better with Fitz under center. The offensive skill players are not nearly as bad as they seem. 

that doesn’t mean anything 

fitz is a 10+ year Vet. He would look better than any rookie this season except Herbert 

8 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Jalen Hurts looks like a better prospect, to me.  Better arm, much faster, better escapability.

1 minute ago, Inigo Montoya said:

My point is the same people advocating on this thread that the Bills play to win a meaningless Week 17 game will suddenly forget that opinion and nuke McDermott for being stupid enough to play Allen in a meaningless game.   

The chance of the Bills winning a single playoff game without Allen is <5%.  

Ok... let them Allen isnt gonna get hurt.

Just now, Penfield45 said:

that doesn’t mean anything 

fitz is a 10+ year Vet. He would look better than any rookie this season except Herbert 

My point is you wouldn't be suggesting the skill players are so bad if they all had a couple hundred more yards and a couple more TD's each on the season because Tua never played 7 games. 

Just now, Warcodered said:

I mean who on that Bills 2018 offense is still starting anywhere?

Bueller? Bueller?

49 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We literally rested players last year. 

We rested players and it was still a 3-3 game until the 4Q.  We weren't playing to deliberately lose.

World of difference between saying "OK, we're going to hold these guy out and here's our plan to kick their butts anyway" vs saying "we're deliberately trying to lose this game"

36 minutes ago, QCity said:

Weather is not going to be that nice for him next week either.

Ehh...very early reports suggest it won't be bad. 34, partly cloudy and winds about 10mph. 

Things could change but as of right now it looks pretty tranquil.