Kyler Murray being lambasted for lack of leadership by Bart Scott making him sound Jay Cutler-esque

Big Turk

As good as Allen plays on the field, his intangibles and what he does off the field are even better. Have you ever heard anything lile that about Allen? People rave about his leadership skills...Murray it seems like only is a good leader when times are good but disappears when the team actually NEEDS his leadership ability during tough times. Not a good sign.

This sounds pretty Jay Cutler like. Murray has all the talent in the world but he isn't going to do much if he doesn't learn how to be a better leader.

Quote from Bart Scott:

“This isn’t a one-off,” said Scott. “If you listen to some of his other interviews after they’ve lost, especially last year after a tough season, he doesn’t come off to me as a leader of men.”

Scott added, “I think he’s all about me because he doesn’t put the onus on himself. He puts it on ‘We have to do something better’ when the team struggles.

“That tells me he’s a finger pointer and not a thumb pointer. Listen, I said it first — Kyler Murray is not a leader of men and if this team hits adversity, they lose Fitzgerald, they ever have an injury to Hopkins, he’s going to come apart at the seams. He’s going to be one of those guys that goes out and spazzes out on a reporter. He’s going to be one of those guys. I know what I know and I know what I’m watching.”

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/08/arizona-cardinals-kyler-murray-leadership-struggles/

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 6

Just look at the guy, he can’t do the things a Josh Allen does, Josh is mentality very strong and it shows on and off the field, should this trait continue it will be his Achilles heel, and may already be..., 

• Like (+1) 1

Sounds like a character assassination piece to me. He didn't cry when he was 6 down to Buffalo with under a minute to go. I can't speak to whether his character is douchey or not but he's only young and to be fair a large percentage of NFL players are probably douchey 

• Like (+1) 9

His pre-draft process where he spurned the A's and continued to stay vague as towards what sport he was committed towards rubbed me the wrong way from the start. From the sideline cam of the bills and seahawks games, he looked like a combination of pissed and pouting from what I had seen, too. 

That said, I'm not sure what this article's intent was aside from a few Bart Scott quotes - a single former player that has not played with him. That can be Arizona's (potential) problem - no need to associate with us and randomly raise Josh on a pedestal, yeah?

19 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

As good as Allen plays on the field, his intangibles and what he does off the field are even better. Have you ever heard anything lile that about Allen? People rave about his leadership skills...Murray it seems like only is a good leader when times are good but disappears when the team actually NEEDS his leadership ability during tough times. Not a good sign.

This sounds pretty Jay Cutler like. Murray has all the talent in the world but he isn't going to do much if he doesn't learn how to be a better leader.

Quote from Bart Scott:

“This isn’t a one-off,” said Scott. “If you listen to some of his other interviews after they’ve lost, especially last year after a tough season, he doesn’t come off to me as a leader of men.”

Scott added, “I think he’s all about me because he doesn’t put the onus on himself. He puts it on ‘We have to do something better’ when the team struggles.

“That tells me he’s a finger pointer and not a thumb pointer. Listen, I said it first — Kyler Murray is not a leader of men and if this team hits adversity, they lose Fitzgerald, they ever have an injury to Hopkins, he’s going to come apart at the seams. He’s going to be one of those guys that goes out and spazzes out on a reporter. He’s going to be one of those guys. I know what I know and I know what I’m watching.”

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/08/arizona-cardinals-kyler-murray-leadership-struggles/

It may be worth adding the comment about Bart Scott's opinion, from the article, "At that point, there had been no evidence validating Scott’s comments and many scoffed at the notion."

Also "Murray has been seen isolated, sitting by himself on the sidelines and then visibly frustrated when on the field"  I think that could be said of almost every QB when things are going badly, they sometimes need a bit by themselves to regroup.  I know there were times last year when Allen has just made a bad play and I see him sitting by himself and I think "man, get with Barkley, get with a coach, get on the surface, something!" but these guys have to know what works for them or figure it out and change it for themselves if it's not working.

I don't think there's much to this, myself.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Sounds like a character assassination piece to me. He didn't cry when he was 6 down to Buffalo with under a minute to go. I can't speak to whether his character is douchey or not but he's only young and to be fair a large percentage of NFL players are probably douchey 

Have you ever heard anyone bring something up like this with Allen?  No. Why? Because his intangibles are elite level off the charts. 

When these things are being brought up by ex-players who know how a QB SHOULD be acting on and off the field, it is a problem.

17 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Quote from Bart Scott:

I could tell he was a "me first" type of guy just by his actions of baseball vs football.  When he was drafted by the A's in the first round (7th I believe, maybe?) he guaranteed them that he wasn't going to be playing football professionally.  The A's then let him play for a season after they had already signed him after the baseball draft and he does fantastic and then changes his tune.  Went from I guarantee I'm playing baseball to, oh, now I'm having a good football season I will completely shift gears and screw over the A's (who just lost that pick with no compensation since he actually signed a contract) because he saw greener pastures in the NFL.  B.S. move in my opinion (yes, I am an A's fan, full disclosure).  Show's me that he is 100% for himself and not a "team" mentality.

Plus, he just comes off as awkward to me in general.  Not sure what it is.  In all the interviews I see of him I just get a bad vibe from him every time.

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, Mark80 said:

I could tell he was a "me first" type of guy just by his actions of baseball vs football.  When he was drafted by the A's in the first round (7th I believe, maybe?) he guaranteed them that he wasn't going to be playing football professionally.  The A's then let him play for a season after they had already signed him after the baseball draft and he does fantastic and then changes his tune.  Went from I guarantee I'm playing baseball to, oh, now I'm having a good football season I will completely shift gears and screw over the A's (who just lost that pick with no compensation since he actually signed a contract) because he saw greener pastures in the NFL.  B.S. move in my opinion (yes, I am an A's fan, full disclosure).  Show's me that he is 100% for himself and not a "team" mentality.

Plus, he just comes off as awkward to me in general.  Not sure what it is.  In all the interviews I see of him I just get a bad vibe from him every time.

He kinda reminds of The Weeknd in the way he acts...

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Have you ever heard anyone bring something up like this with Allen?  No. Why? Because his intangibles are elite level off the charts. 

When these things are being brought up by ex-players who know how a QB SHOULD be acting on and off the field, it is a problem.

If you look close enough anyone's behaviour can be critiqued. If your point is to bathe in the reflected glory of the comparible culture of the two teams then yes I expect Buffalo is much better than Arizona under Kingsbury- see Spain, Quinton, for keeping things quiet  But human beings generally are flawed. I ask myself what is the motive behind this article. I am however pleased that Josh is likeable.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Interesting take. I will say that every time they showed him on the sideline, he just looked "pouty". I don't sense any enthusiasm and "let's go" attitude. As much as I dislike Tom Brady and I thought he came across as fake, he was at least going up and down getting the team amped up when they got down. Sure, there were those great times when they were so far out of the game and he looked dejected on the bench, but he was mostly rah-rah.

I'll say it again, I would not trade MY quarterback for ANY in the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Quote from Bart Scott:

It is interesting because he does have a very dour facial expression and seems to get into a funk, but I have not heard any complaints from teammates at this point.  He is young and things have pretty much always gone fairly well for him - so learning to lead while there are team struggles is hard.  I am not going to knock him yet, but something to watch.  He has a long way to go in my minds eye.

I will also be interested in the HC because I really do not think highly of Kingsbury - he seems sort of in that same mold - great to be around when winning, but watch your back when times are tough.  I did not think he would be a great HC and as we saw at the college level - he was not a good leader there.

That entire team dynamic makes for some interesting potential drama.  I could see this team become a SB contender and/or totally flop and fall apart and maybe both at the same time.

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He seems so nice in the heisman commercials 

My wife and I laughed at that commercial- I said what a terrible person to choose - there is just no joy or fun in his voice.

That could have been a great commercial if the Murray part had been played by someone with a personality.