Officiating across the league is god awful

Brennan Huff

3 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

The issue wasn’t spinning the ball, it was spinning the ball in the face of the opposing team’s player. 

Why give the refs an excuse?  Is there anything to be gained by your QB taking any chance on a disqual?

Edited by hemma

On 11/30/2020 at 12:25 PM, Back the Blue said:

For all who believe that full-time officials are the answer, look to the NHL and even the NBA and MLB.  Officials/Refs/Umpires still make mistakes.  It's part of the game.

Then you take them out of the game and make everything automated with robotics. 

Would not be hard at all and would probably speed the game up.

There's no need for refs, the chain gang, etc. Computers can solve this entire thing.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/1/2020 at 10:54 AM, dave mcbride said:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but the replay showed that the ball that moss threw backward hit the defender in the gut. Weak call, but it did hit the defender.

Moss flipped the ball behind his back and the replay doesn't even show where the ball lands.  Not sure what you are smoking...Take a look here:  If he wanted to throw the ball AT the defender, don't you think he would be LOOKING at him? 

Weird unsportsmanlikeConduct penalty on zack moss | NFL Week 12 - YouTube

Edited by Azucho98

Every team is complaining about officiating plus they don’t seem to ever call for measurements anymore.  Some claim that it’s. Because the crews aren’t used to working with each other but  I find that a lame excuse.  You are a side judge you have responsibilities plain and simple.   OL holding calls must be significantly down this year but lots of tricky tack fouls being called

The problem is lack of standards and accountability. Refs should be held accountable for bad calls that affect the outcome of a game. And bad judgement. Mess up, get a week no pay. Mess up, get demoted. Mess up too much, lose your job. Strict accountability. Only the best of the best get to play in the NFL. Only the best should be officiating the best.

Edited by simpleman
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

Moss flipped the ball behind his back and the replay doesn't even show where the ball lands.  Not sure what you are smoking...Take a look here:  If he wanted to throw the ball AT the defender, don't you think he would be LOOKING at him? 

Weird unsportsmanlikeConduct penalty on zack moss | NFL Week 12 - YouTube

There was a reverse angle replay of it about a minute later. I am *certain* of this. It did appear to show the ball hitting the defender; of that I am fairly sure. But regardless, it was a stupid call. 

On 12/4/2020 at 9:05 AM, dave mcbride said:

There was a reverse angle replay of it about a minute later. I am *certain* of this. It did appear to show the ball hitting the defender; of that I am fairly sure. But regardless, it was a stupid call. 

Well if it hit someone it was not intentional - he flipped it behind his back.  lol BS call.

On 12/4/2020 at 5:30 AM, A Firm Tree Does Not Fear said:

this is at high school level and it seems the kid didn't like the idea of being ejected from the game.

I fully expect to see Hughes do that in his last game and I will put 100$ towards his fine.

The officials this year are part of what is making the NFL hard to watch. Hire the college officials and let the college have our putrid/disgusting bunch.

On 12/2/2020 at 10:50 AM, hemma said:

Josh got his taunting call for spinning the ball, then a mild reminder from McDermott that a second offense would lead to a disqual.

I started thinking about that and remembered that he did another ballspin later in the game.

At 3:45 in the 4th, he had a 13 yard run from the Chargers 24 on a 3rd and 9.  It ended up being negated by 2 other Offensive penalties, but while on his knees, he spun the ball again.

Officials didn't notice as they were already chit-chatting about the other 2 penalties.

He needs to immediately get that little ball spin gimmick out of his game.

Spinning the ball is not a penalty unless it’s deemed taunting 

On 11/30/2020 at 8:19 AM, Don Otreply said:

You know, if someone did such a show, kinda like the Josh Allen “ five minutes of drops” video, add in the “ is this games in the fix” ’angle,  the embarrassment factor might just have an effect. Also send a copy to GMFB and every other sports outlet and do a  YouTube channel, it just might force the leagues hand to fire a bunch of these hacks. Oh, and do four such shows each season, one for each quarter of the season. It would show what a farce the league office has turned into. 

Social embarrassment can be a powerful tool.

The NFL would probably just have it taken down for copyright reasons.  I guess you could argue its for educational purposes which I believe allows clips of material but I dont fully know those laws.

On 11/30/2020 at 11:43 AM, Jrb1979 said:

As I said in another thread IMO the reason for the bad officiating is due to the refs being game managers. Its a problem across all leagues, they are so focused on parity they do whatever it takes to keep games close. IMO it has ruined sports as a whole. All parity has done is make every team mediocre. No team stands out and all to make all fans happy. 

I would argue the Jets stand out 😃

On 12/5/2020 at 11:59 AM, Scott7975 said:

I would argue the Jets stand out 😃

Yes the Jets stand out. I'm not sure how many of you watch the NHL but their refs call the game to keep it close. It wouldn't surprise me the NFL does the same.