Bill Belichick the GM

JetsFan20

11 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

Hes drafted a ton of talent over the years 

Edleman, Gronk, McCourtey, Collins, Chandler Jones, Wilfork, Mayo, Hightower, Jimmy G. 

That's about one a year, not sure I'd put Jimmy G on that list either.  And how many are still there?  His drafting particularly in last few years has not been veey good.  The Bills have more pro bowl  players lately than NE does.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

That's about one a year, not sure I'd put Jimmy G on that list either.  And how many are still there?  His drafting particularly in last few years has not been veey good.  The Bills have more pro bowl  players lately than NE does.

That does it. Here comes the list. This is an actual 9 year stretch for a man who supposedly can't draft:

Jerod Mayo, Matthew Slater, Patrick Chung, Julian Edelman, Sebastian Vollmer, Devin McCourty, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Nate Solder, Marcus Cannon, Shane Vereen, Chandler Jones, Dont'a Hightower, Jamie Collins, Logan Ryan, James White, Malcolm Brown, Tre Flowers, Shaq Mason, Joe Thuney…. plus Malcolm Butler and David Andrews as UDFAs. I make that 20 actual difference makers who were established starters over a 9 year period.

That is without including guys like Elandon Roberts and Ted Karras and Nate Ebner and Duron Harmon and Brandon Spikes and Tavon Wilson who were solid depth and role players.... oh and of course Jimmy Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett one starting level and one top end backup Quarterback who were trade away for more capital.

Those drafts were the backbone of a roster that won 3 Superbowls and produced 7 all pro selections and 20 pro bowl selections (some were the same players multiple times).

They have drafted incredible BADLY since 2017. But for decade before that they smashed the draft out of the park.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

That does it. Here comes the list. This is an actual 9 year stretch for a man who supposedly can't draft:

Jerod Mayo, Matthew Slater, Patrick Chung, Julian Edelman, Sebastian Vollmer, Devin McCourty, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Nate Solder, Marcus Cannon, Shane Vereen, Chandler Jones, Dont'a Hightower, Jamie Collins, Logan Ryan, James White, Malcolm Brown, Tre Flowers, Shaq Mason, Joe Thuney…. plus Malcolm Butler and David Andrews as UDFAs. I make that 20 actual difference makers who were established starters over a 9 year period.

That is without including guys like Elandon Roberts and Ted Karras and Nate Ebner and Duron Harmon and Brandon Spikes and Tavon Wilson who were solid depth and role players.... oh and of course Jimmy Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett one starting level and one top end backup Quarterback who were trade away for more capital.

Those drafts were the backbone of a roster that won 3 Superbowls and produced 7 all pro selections and 20 pro bowl selections (some were the same players multiple times).

They have drafted incredible BADLY since 2017. But for decade before that they smashed the draft out of the park.

Do you subscribe to the Athletic, About 2 weeks ago there was an article there talking about their demise and how a number of things effected them but had lists, charts, showing how they have drafted worse than most teams in the league for the past 7 to 8 years, including the Bills.  Was the 9 year stretch you mention the past 9 years?  Doesn't look like it since some of those names were from back around 2009.

It also talked about how they'd sign these mid level cheap FA's  every year, but this year with no Brady and a few other things happening, that path dried up for the them too.  Basically players would sign for less to have a chance at winning the SB in next couple of years, but once Brady was gone, they weren't signing there. 

But also article talked about how they haven't drafted well in the past 7 to 8 years.  Guys like Edelman Gronk, McCordy, Solder and others arrived when they were still drafting well but not since around 2012 give or take a year.  James White has1000 rushing and 3004 receiving yards in 7 seasons.  You're calling that an example of drafting well?

17 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Do you subscribe to the Athletic, About 2 weeks ago there was an article there talking about their demise and how a number of things effected them but had lists, charts, showing how they have drafted worse than most teams in the league for the past 7 to 8 years, including the Bills.  Was the 9 year stretch you mention the past 9 years?  Doesn't look like it since some of those names were from back around 2009.

It also talked about how they'd sign these mid level cheap FA's  every year, but this year with no Brady and a few other things happening, that path dried up for the them too.  Basically players would sign for less to have a chance at winning the SB in next couple of years, but once Brady was gone, they weren't signing there. 

But also article talked about how they haven't drafted well in the past 7 to 8 years.  Guys like Edelman Gronk, McCordy, Solder and others arrived when they were still drafting well but not since around 2012 give or take a year.  James White has1000 rushing and 3004 receiving yards in 7 seasons.  You're calling that an example of drafting well?

I do subscribe to the Athletic. My list is 2008-2016. They haven't drafted well the last 4 years. And yea.... James White is an example of drafting well. I'll look up the Athletic article but their drafting was still pretty good until about 2017.

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I do subscribe to the Athletic. My list is 2008-2016. They haven't drafted well the last 4 years. And yea.... James White is an example of drafting well. I'll look up the Athletic article but their drafting was still pretty good until about 2017.

That was one of the things the article talked about their early success was due to drafting well in the first decade, lately not as well.

And BTW, this wasn't me asking the question! LOL

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bill-belichick-bristles-at-reporters-question-about-pats-lack-of-draft-success/ar-BB1aZjIt?li=BBnb7Kz

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

That was one of the things the article talked about their early success was due to drafting well in the first decade, lately not as well.

And BTW, this wasn't me asking the question! LOL

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bill-belichick-bristles-at-reporters-question-about-pats-lack-of-draft-success/ar-BB1aZjIt?li=BBnb7Kz

In the later half of that period you can argue he didn't hit his first round picks.... that is certainly fair. But anyone who wants to argue Joe Thuney in the 3rd or Ted Karras in the 6th or Trey Flowers in the 4th or Shaq Mason in the 5th or James White in the 4th isn't good drafting is gonna have a hard time making that argument.

On 11/13/2020 at 12:29 AM, Kwai San said:

I say he fades into obscurity ala the Tuna.  Is Tuna even alive any more?

All HC fade off into obscurity....At the end of the day, it is the players that keep the NFL ticking.   

The only reason the Bills still remember Marv and those SB years is because we have had nothing since then for 25 years until recently.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Doc said:

They liked him so much...they took him at the end of the 6th round after taking Antwan Harris (who?) earlier in the round.  At least they took him before David Nugent.

Just taking him at all when they already had three QBs on the roster - QBs they wanted to keep and indeed did keep all season, they went with four QBs that year - was an unusual move, and did indeed show that they liked him. It was good scouting.

We liked Russell Wilson a lot but didn't take him when we had the chance in the third. That was bad scouting. If you take a guy before anyone else does and he turns out good, you did good. If you like him but wait too long, that's what's bad. The Pats didn't wait too long.

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Just taking him at all when they already had three QBs on the roster - QBs they wanted to keep and indeed did keep all season, they went with four QBs that year - was an unusual move, and did indeed show that they liked him. It was good scouting.

We liked Russell Wilson a lot but didn't take him when we had the chance in the third. That was bad scouting. If you take a guy before anyone else does and he turns out good, you did good. If you like him but wait too long, that's what's bad. The Pats didn't wait too long.

Why was it an unusual move?  Friesz and Bishop were scrubs who were out of the NFL after Brady's rookie season and obviously the Cheaters were looking to upgrade the backup QB spot as Belicheat was eyeing Tim Rattay.  And again the guy who liked him was Rehbein. 

But again, you don't really like someone and wait to take him at the end of the 6th round.  Wilson was 5'10", not 6'4", and he still went in the 3rd round.

So people don't have to make up stories to best fit their own agenda...

https://www.businessinsider.com/patriots-draft-tom-brady-2014-5

How The Patriots Drafted A Hall Of Fame Quarterback In The 6th Round

Excerpts from the article:

A lot of people think the Patriots just got lucky in drafting a future Hall of Famer so late in the draft. In reality, luck had very little to do with it.

The Patriots Were High On Brady

Prior to the draft, quarterbacks coach Dick Rehbein was sent to scout quarterbacks, Belichick said in an interview with NFL Network.

When he returned, Rehbein told Belichick that Brady was "the best fit for the [Patriots'] system" and others in the front office and among the coaches agreed.

"But we were looking for the mental makeup...Belichick did a lot of homework on him, along with our staff, on his mental makeup. Watching the tape, he was the guy that would go in and lead them back to victory."

Edited by Ghost_002!

34 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

So people don't have to make up stories to best fit their own agenda...

https://www.businessinsider.com/patriots-draft-tom-brady-2014-5

How The Patriots Drafted A Hall Of Fame Quarterback In The 6th Round

Excerpts from the article:

A lot of people think the Patriots just got lucky in drafting a future Hall of Famer so late in the draft. In reality, luck had very little to do with it.

The Patriots Were High On Brady

Prior to the draft, quarterbacks coach Dick Rehbein was sent to scout quarterbacks, Belichick said in an interview with NFL Network.

When he returned, Rehbein told Belichick that Brady was "the best fit for the [Patriots'] system" and others in the front office and among the coaches agreed.

"But we were looking for the mental makeup...Belichick did a lot of homework on him, along with our staff, on his mental makeup. Watching the tape, he was the guy that would go in and lead them back to victory."

Come on Ghost, a Business Insider article from 2014?

The Pats* 2000 draft was a complete bust except for lucking into Brady.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Come on Ghost, a Business Insider article from 2014?

The Pats* 2000 draft was a complete bust except for lucking into Brady.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm

I am not arguing the grade of that draft or any of the pats draft....

You do not "luck" into a 6 round pick..ha ha not at pick 199..nobody including the pats knew he was going to be great...he worked at it...his coaches helped him...my point.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ghost_002! said:

I am not arguing the grade of that draft or any of the pats draft....

You do not "luck" into a 6 round pick..ha ha not at pick 199..nobody including the pats knew he was going to be great...he worked at it...his coaches helped him...my point.

What are you talking about?  Getting anything out of a 6th round pick is luck.  How many 6th rounders in NFL history have become HOF'ers?

And yes, the Cheaters had no idea he'd be great, or even good.  Hence the reason they gave Bledsoe a 10-year $100M extension after Brady's rookie season.