Week 8: Patriots at Bills

YoloinOhio

24 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Everyone seems to think absurd the idea that McDermott will be in hot water if he loses this game. I don't get it. When you've yet to beat the Patriots during your tenure, you can almost secure the division with a win, and you're hosting them at 5-2/2-4, how is there not a referendum on McDermott if he can't lead the Bills to a win here? He absolutely has to.

While I share your sentiment that this is the biggest game of McD's tenure, IF the Bills lose (I don't believe they will) I think how we view McD will depend upon what sort of loss it is.  If it's a sloppy, weather-impacted game with a bunch of turnovers then you probably let it slide.  If the Bills are pushed around we've got problems.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Speculating on McDermott getting fired.  That's what we do when we're 2-5, not 5-2.

never did i say in my post that i speculate him getting fired. i just said they would lite a fire under his but if we lost. get your cards straight

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

captain injury report... great coaches find ways to win

Just now, eball said:

While I share your sentiment that this is the biggest game of McD's tenure, IF the Bills lose (I don't believe they will) I think how we view McD will depend upon what sort of loss it is.  If it's a sloppy, weather-impacted game with a bunch of turnovers then you probably let it slide.  If the Bills are pushed around we've got problems.

I don't agree. If we win, it will be lumped into the "who have you beat?" category. If we lose it will suck but we are also very short-handed at key positions. And who knows how bad the weather will be? We could lose on a bad bounce. We have much bigger games ahead of us to fret over this withered husk of a formerly great team.

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

never did i say in my post that i speculate him getting fired. i just said they would lite a fire under his but if we lost. get your cards straight

cliche alert.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Logic said:

Isaiah McKenzie would be a sneaky big loss if he can't suit up. Those jet sweeps are just what we need against the weak edges of the Pats D.

If McKenzie can't go, I hope they still run those plays. I know that Diggs or Beasley could effectively handle them.

Roberts could possibly take that role as well if needed I would imagine. Although not as quick he could still be effective.

• Like (+1) 1

If you dig a little deeper, you find NE is really banged up, consider:

RB: 1st: Damien Harris: Q

WR: 1st: Julian Edelman: O

WR: 1st: N'Keal Harry: Q

WR: 3rd: Marqise Lee: O

LT/RT: 1st: Justin Herren: Q

RG: 1st: Shaq Mason: Q

RT: 4th: Marcus Cannon: O

LG: 2nd: Joe Thuney: Q

RT: 2nd: Jermaine Eluemunor: IR

RT: 3rd: Yodny Cajuste: IR

LDE: 1st: Lawrence Guy: Q

WLB: 2nd: Shillique Calhoun: Q

WLB: 3rd: Josh Uche, IR

SLB: 1st: John Simon: Q

RILB: 2nd: Brandon Copeland: IR

FS: 3rd: Kyle Dugger: Q

NT: 2nd: Carl Davis: Q

NT: 3rd: Michael Bennett: IR

SS: 3rd: Cody Davis: IR

SS: 4th: Brandon King: O

RCB: 1st: Stephon Gilmore: Q

And of course Covidions:

RB: 1st: Sony Michel

Edited by wjag
biwt
  • Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

wanna bet? not to let him go or anything like that but if i were gm with this talented of a team after a NE loss? you have to know a flame would be lit under his but or something

McDermott and Beane work as a unit. They hold each other to a high standard. This is just kind of oddly worded... I’m sure they’ll sit down and discuss things at length... but you obviously don’t know anything about McDermott to think he needs a flame lit under him... dude is a self starter.

McDermott talks about the Process for a reason. It’s not lip service. There’s constant reevaluating of things. People don’t want to buy it... that’s cool. It’s just a lack of understanding of the dichotomy of a professional sports front office and the men we have in charge. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

McDermott and Beane work as a unit. They hold each other to a high standard. This is just kind of oddly worded... I’m sure they’ll sit down and discuss things at length... but you obviously don’t know anything about McDermott to think he needs a flame lit under him... dude is a self starter.

McDermott talks about the Process for a reason. It’s not lip service. There’s constant reevaluating of things. People don’t want to buy it... that’s cool. It’s just a lack of understanding of the dichotomy of a professional sports front office and the men we have in charge. 

oddly worded and your right a sit down and talking about it in itself would lite the flame

Stephon Gilmore added to growing Patriots injury report before Week 8 vs. Bills

The New England Patriots injury report keeps growing, and one of the team's best players was added Thursday.

Veteran cornerback Stephon Gilmore has a knee issue and was limited in Thursday's practice ahead of Sunday afternoon's game against the Buffalo Bills at Bills Stadium. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/stephon-gilmore-added-growing-patriots-injury-report-week-8-vs-bills?cid=Yahoo&partner=ya4nbcs

5 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I heard it here: Daboll was on the "hot seat" from the start of the season.  Seems it did well for him 4-0 offense looked great.

Little Hot Seat for McD could do just as well:

https://www.thegreenhead.com/2020/08/hot-seat-portable-heated-chair.php

Only thing that puzzles me: Daboll up in the booth, easy to put a hot seat up there.  I don't ever see McDermott sitting down during a game, though.  Thus, I'm uncertain as to how the hot seat is to be applied, unless it's a very close game and he carries it in the manner of a pilot or an air traffic controller who has just gone through a near miss.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Stephon Gilmore added to growing Patriots injury report before Week 8 vs. Bills

The New England Patriots injury report keeps growing, and one of the team's best players was added Thursday.

Veteran cornerback Stephon Gilmore has a knee issue and was limited in Thursday's practice ahead of Sunday afternoon's game against the Buffalo Bills at Bills Stadium. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/stephon-gilmore-added-growing-patriots-injury-report-week-8-vs-bills?cid=Yahoo&partner=ya4nbcs

Sounds his knee has a bad case of "I'm not going to be playing here soon anyway"-itus.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I would hope Josh runs the ball like crazy, delivering his biggest game of the year rushing.

He's by far our best rushing threat and running is by far what he does best.  

I also hope he somehow finds a way to *hold onto* the football.

He's held onto the football while rushing quite well the last couple of games.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Define "hot seat."

You’ll have to ask the person that brought it up if you suspect that the definition is different from the colloquialism we’ve come to know.

59 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Everyone seems to think absurd the idea that McDermott will be in hot water if he loses this game. I don't get it. When you've yet to beat the Patriots during your tenure, you can almost secure the division with a win, and you're hosting them at 5-2/2-4, how is there not a referendum on McDermott if he can't lead the Bills to a win here? He absolutely has to.

Nope. If they go 10-6 with 2 losses to NE****** they’ll still win the division and host a playoff game—something that hasn’t been done here in 25 years.

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Because you are living in the past if you think that beating the pats this year is more significant than beating Miami. Beating them Sunday isn’t like beating them in other years. It is just another division win given the current circumstances. If they lose its not a referendum on anything other than its their 1st division loss and 3rd loss overall, and more pressure to win the following week etc. Pats are going nowhere this year. Just another W.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Because you are living in the past if you think that beating the pats this year is more significant than beating Miami. Beating them Sunday isn’t like beating them in other years. It is just another division win given the current circumstances. If they lose its not a referendum on anything other than its their 2nd division loss and 3rd loss overall, and more pressure to win the following week etc 

and 3rd loss in four weeks with Seattle up next.

39 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Great coaches also lose games sometimes, even to bad teams (like the Patriots losing to Miami multiple times over the past few years).

And yeah, great coaches also put their injured players on the injury report ... because that's the rule...

41 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't agree. If we win, it will be lumped into the "who have you beat?" category. If we lose it will suck but we are also very short-handed at key positions. And who knows how bad the weather will be? We could lose on a bad bounce. We have much bigger games ahead of us to fret over this withered husk of a formerly great team.

cliche alert.

No doubt, 

I’m going with, “the game is won and lost in the trenches”

Next...