Week 8: Patriots at Bills

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

yep and if they were as talented as we were it would be an even argument

I agree but I do not believe they are at least not with what they are going to put on the field this week. 

Edited by Scott7975

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think if Hyde is out for a game this is a good one because I just don’t see needing him back there in the passing game. I assume we will see Marlowe up in the box 

Agreed. By that same logic, could see unexpected contributions/big plays from Siran Neal and Taron Johnson. Those guys are often below average in coverage but are sound tacklers and run defenders. 

1 hour ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Could even go *5 with the first INT against the Titans bouncing off of Roberts hands (not the best pass but really more of a fluky INT).

Yeah, but every QB suffers those deflections that go for the INT.

I have never before seen the refs gift-wrap an INT out of what was at worst a tie between the WR and DB that by rule goes to the receiver.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, kkim0904 said:

Don't forget, We got beat by JV Titans. Put pressure and Blitz on Newton as we did against Jets.  I dont want to see conservative prevent defense against Pats.    

I have no idea what you mean by "JV Titans"

The traditional interpretation would be "Junior Varsity Titans", which would be...a bizarro-world description of a team that contended for the AFC championship last season and is currently 5-1 instead of 6-0 only by virtue of a 3 point loss to the Steelers.

It looked to me like a JV team on the field with the Titans at times, but it wasn't Tennessee.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think if Hyde is out for a game this is a good one because I just don’t see needing him back there in the passing game. I assume we will see Marlowe up in the box 

The bad news is that Hyde and the almost uncanny communication between Poyer and Hyde has been critical for the Bills secondary.

The good news is that I feel Poyer took a level-up in his abilities this season and is capable of stepping up for Hyde in this role.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have no idea what you mean by "JV Titans"

The traditional interpretation would be "Junior Varsity Titans", which would be...a bizarro-world description of a team that contended for the AFC championship last season and is currently 5-1 instead of 6-0 only by virtue of a 3 point loss to the Steelers.

I wondered that myself.   

• Like (+1) 1

Joe B article on Bills-Pats

https://theathletic.com/2171008/2020/10/30/bills-patriots-thoughts/

"The Patriots are well-known for attacking an opponent’s weakness. Given that running the ball is also their offensive strength, we could see them try to control the clock and the ball while limiting Josh Allen’s chances on offense.

Newton may be struggling as a passer at the moment, but he remains an elite zone-read quarterback who makes great reads of the free edge defender. Newton is also one of the most deceptive quarterbacks with his handoffs in the zone-read. He extends his arms to bait the defense into thinking he has handed the ball off, often triggering the edge defender to attack the running back. The Bills’ defensive ends must be on alert for this and not allow significant gains to the edge."

I'm not sure his assessment of the roster moves needed is correct.  He believes the Bills need to release a player or place a player on IR to free up a spot for Wallace:

"It would help if Wallace can return to the lineup this week. Wallace has been involved and doing a lot in practice, even taking one-on-one reps against receivers. He has a wrap on his left ankle, but he appears to be moving on it pretty well. Everything is trending in the right direction for Wallace to return this weekend, which would give the team more depth and improve the defense, especially if they have to play without starting safety Micah Hyde. Hyde is in concussion protocol and didn’t practice this week. Dean Marlowe is the better run defender and has been a part of the game plan almost every week, making him the best choice to replace Hyde over Jaquan Johnson. To make room for Wallace, though, the Bills will need to find a player to release or an injured player to put on IR."

With Knox still on covid-19 IR, I don't think that's true.  And because Knox (reportedly) had symptoms, I don't think he's eligible to return until Sunday or Monday at the (10 days post symptom development per NFL covid-19 protocol rules)

Sal C explains:

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, but every QB suffers those deflections that go for the INT.

I have never before seen the refs gift-wrap an INT out of what was at worst a tie between the WR and DB that by rule goes to the receiver.

True.  The Kroft one seemed completely made up.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

If the Bills want to play the sort of contain-the-zone-read defense they used against the Ravens last year, Hyde had a critical role in spotting the "eye candy" and getting the back end of the D in the right position.  The good news is without the Ravens triple-headed TE hydra plus Marquise Goodwin, the Pats may have a bit less to watch out for.

IMO, Hyde has been playing hampered.  He hurt his ankle in one game and limped off, got taped, came back, shrugged it off in interviews "it's football, stuff happens".  I think a week to heal up his body along with his head could help him going forward.  

Banged-up on Hyde and our injuries:

Media report on Hyde during practice:

3 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

True.  The Kroft one seemed completely made up.  

I could kind of understand if the ref blinked and then saw the DB rolling over with the ball and Kroft pulling at it and inferred what happened.

But that's SUPPOSED to be the sort of awful mistake that replay can fix.

4 hours ago, AKC said:

It’s like the calculation on STs of whether to send your KO out of the end zone to avoid a return but sacrifice the chance of a turnover or penalty. I’m not suggesting they’ll leave the field wide open for him but I‘ll be surprised if they don’t make it look like there’s room to run when possible.  A spy or defender can stack himself and hide from view for periods of time on most plays.

I just dont see that as a sound strategy. They'll get gashed. 

44 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Load the box and double the RBs on passing downs. Let the secondary play man to man...who are you afraid of? Patriots should look inept on offense based on talent.

Absolutely. There receivers are a bunch of nobodies. Even if we had a bunch of 5th string CB’s, they should still be able to handle them. Of course Tre will absolutely lock down one of their receivers. 

If the Bills lose to a well coached team with under preforming players, opt outs, injuries, and a change at QB this year it will sure bring a lot of people back to same old Bills.

Josh Allen needs to show up.

• Like (+1) 3