Week 6 Postgame Thread KC at Bills

I have to confess that I was worried this week when I heard Micah Hyde say that "If they knew what the problem was on defense they would fix it." It brought back all kinds of horrible flashbacks to the Chan Gailey days. Did not inspire confidence.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Disagree. 

I like Single alot, and think he has some serious shake to his game. 

That being said, he will NEVER bust one 50+ to the house. He is a motor, and will chug along, but cannot be relied upon to provide a spark. 

I don't understand that people can't see he's made to meet a LB in the hole and make him look silly.  He has no holes this year.  We've already seen him do it

1 hour ago, y2zipper said:

Allen is regressing and needs to figure it out. For all the talk of the defensive gameplan, Buffalo made a choice and it largely kept them in the game in spite of Allen missing all over the field. This is 2 weeks in a row under 20 points and they have no chance to win with that scoring output.

Both teams had the same defensive game plan and it worked to contain the QB and WR production of their opponents offense.  The difference was that KC was able to rely on their TE and RB to take up the slack.  It meant the chiefs weren't going to be throwing it all over the field but they still had over 450 yards of offense, nearly 40 minutes of TOP, 250 yards rushing and scored 26 points.  It was a Bills death in slow motion.

In contrast the Bills are bottom 5 in the NFL at RB and TE.  The lack of production at these two position groups is alarming.  Against the defense the Chiefs played our RB's & TE's needed to be a lot more productive.  The RB's had 15 caries for 42 yards.  The TE's caught one pass. 

We have to fix this.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Go to bed. 

Diggs has been phenominal for this team. Allen has benefited off of it, and Diggs has taken advantage of many of his throws. Stop selling into the media narrative. By many accounts, Diggs is a hard worker and good teammate. This was one game, one play. 

No it wasn’t one play, it was one game. I love Diggs. I think he is great for this offense. His energy is great. But I think something is going on in the locker room. Or Josh Allen is feeling the pressure. But there is something you can see it. And Diggs just didn’t seem himself tonight. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, daz28 said:

Mahomes didn't need any deep balls.  Tannehill coud have rolled out for a first down every single play last week.  EVERY SINGLE PLAY. 

I know, contain on the edges and having that guy who can quickly come up on the QB just seems to be lacking this year. You are right about Tannehill he was high-stepping into the end zone and that irked me.

The thing that just had me blowing my top is when Mahomes got to the sideline and stopped and spun in a circle with a crowd of Bills defenders around him and no one put a hit on him. In fact he picked up almost 5 yards after that little dance. 

My theory is that they got "the business" from their coach on the sideline after that for their lack of follow-through which probably directly led to our players tossing guys into the benches after they went out of bounds on the next KC drive.

Queue the circus music.

1 minute ago, Rebel101 said:

No it wasn’t one play, it was one game. I love Diggs. I think he is great for this offense. His energy is great. But I think something is going on in the locker room. Or Josh Allen is feeling the pressure. But there is something you can see it. And Diggs just didn’t seem himself tonight. 

Nothing personal here, but I never got this perspective from anyone, national media, average Joe, etc:

Why is is that if they played bad or below expectation, something is off? Or a locker room issue? 

Maybe they just got their ass beat, or our schemed or out played? Sometime it is as simple as that. This is not a Bill O-Brien or Adam Gase led team. They aren't at eachothers throats.They were just handed the L, and to me, thats all it was. 

On to the next one!

36 minutes ago, daz28 said:

It's not ideal that being a prolific passing offense is our identity, but it SHOULD be that until we get other ducks in order.  If the D sucks, we have to gamble on plays, and hope we get lucky. 

Huh? After fretting so much about 300 yard passing games? 

It's not coaching...

The defensive front 7 lacks talent. They are small and soft.

Hughes does a spin and gets blocked out of the way every play. Oliver is invisible. I have no idea who the other DL even are and other than watching them drop like bowling pins I couldn't tell you anything about them. 

Secondary players are finesse guys who make big plays when the DL rushes the QB. Can't blame them when the front 7 could all out blitz and somehow not get pressure.

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

It's not coaching...

Hughes does a spin and gets blocked out of the way every play. Oliver is invisible. I have no idea who the other DL even are and other than watching them drop like bowling pins I couldn't tell you anything about them. 

They could be missing Star, J. Phillips--- and even Shaq.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Nothing personal here, but I never got this perspective from anyone, national media, average Joe, etc:

Why is is that if they played bad or below expectation, something is off? Or a locker room issue? 

Maybe they just got their ass beat, or our schemed or out played? Sometime it is as simple as that. This is not a Bill O-Brien or Adam Gase led team. They aren't at eachothers throats.They were just handed the L, and to me, thats all it was. 

On to the next one!

Just my personal opinion. They are a completely different team. The vibe the energy all of it. And Diggs was off tonight. And Allen has clearly been off his last week. The D has been off all season. I read a report awhile ago how the corona has caused the Pegulas to bring the morale down and that was at the beginning of the pandemic. So I don’t know what it is. But something ***** with peoples heads.  More so in the last 2 weeks. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

It's not coaching...

I actually thought Zimmer brought a bit of missing attitude to the group. I will give him props for hustle too. Saw him chasing a shallow drag route 15 yards down field from his DT position.

We will see if some guys earned more playing time and if others are going to have to think while riding the pine. McD always said he would play the best players, there are times you just have to look at those guys who may have been drafted high, or paid as free agents and ask yourself if they are earning their spot. If not, let some guy on the scout team who is hungry take some starting snaps.

• Like (+1) 2

Four observations:

1)  Defenses have figured out that to beat Buffalo's offense you need to take away the aggressive throws downfield to the WR's.  The last two weeks they've gotten away with taking away our offensive strength because the Bills RB's and TE's are not dangerous enough to make you pay the price for keeping your safeties way back in coverage. 

2)  I don't think it's so much that Allen has regressed as the O-line has regressed.  They can't run block and Allen took a beating tonight.  I think I saw one clean pocket the whole night  And the negative yardage on run plays is inexcusable.  A turning point in this game was when we came out of the two minute warning in the first half and had a 2nd & 3 at the Chiefs 45 yard line we lost 6 yards on a run!  This put us in 3rd & 9 and we have way to many 3rd and longs.

3)  The next two weeks will tell us whether the ship will be righted or we're passengers on the Titanic.  Win these games and they are very winnable and we go to 6 - 2 and give NE at least 4 loses at the half way point.  It would also put us in a commanding lead in the East.

4)  We've lost back to back games to two teams that are a combined 10 - 1.  Now is not the time to panic.  If we lose the next 2 games then we can run down the street screaming the sky is falling.

• Like (+1) 1

It was nice that Allen was able to drive down the field for a TD in like 2 minutes, but where was that all game?!

I hate this game for many reasons. Joe Buck and Troy Aikman going on and on about Mahomes and the Chiefs like they are the second coming. Terry Bradshaw calling Allen inaccurate, and there's nothing to be done about it.

It would have sucked if we lost but if it looked competitive, I'd have taken it. This game gave life to the Allen haters, and basically made a joke out of the only thing the Bills defense has been doing ok all year in stopping the run. 7 yards a carry? Yikes. Mahomes didn't even really light it up, and pretty much every throw he did make was easy because the Bills apparently don't know how to cover receivers.

I hate life and football right now.