McDermott: Cody Ford will remain at Guard

YoloinOhio

He hasn’t played RT all season, so makes sense but if Williams were to get injured it looks like Nseckhe and Ford would not go back there 

What will be interesting is if he moves back to RG while Winters is hurt and Feliciano still out, and Spain back to LG. I think Spain played RG on Sunday  when winters went out? 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

He hasn’t played RT all season, so makes sense but if Williams were to get injured it looks like Nseckhe and Ford would not go back there 

I am happy they made the move.  I think it was obvious he had a higher ceiling at Guard the entire time.  What concerns me, is both the right tackle and right guard they want to keep in when healthy are free agents at the end of the year. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I am happy they made the move.  I think it was obvious he had a higher ceiling at Guard the entire time.  What concerns me, is both the right tackle and right guard they want to keep in when healthy are free agents at the end of the year. 

They seem to really like both and I can see them re-signing mongo, not sure he would be cost prohibitive. Williams is a different story. He might really get some cash on the open market if he stays healthy, at age 29. I think they could draft an OT. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Not concerned at all about RG and RT after this year.

If they perform they get extended if they don't  our GM with a track record of finding decent players at a decent price will get the void filled.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, JMF2006 said:

Not concerned at all about RG and RT after this year.

If they perform they get extended if they don't  our GM with a track record of finding decent players at a decent price will get the void filled.

The problem is you are likely playing with a lower cap next year, it may stay static or plunge as low as 180 million.   Tackles are costly, and so far Williams has earned it.

I trust Beane to make good decisions, but a lot of tough choices to make when Mongo, Williams, and Milano are all free agents.

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

What will be interesting is if he moves back to RG while Winters is hurt and Feliciano still out, and Spain back to LG. I think Spain played RG on Sunday  when winters went out? 

I think he stays at LG  to develop chemistry with Shnowman and Morse locking that part of the line for the next 3 years or more.

The right side is a work in progress.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They seem to really like both and I can see them re-signing mongo, not sure he would be cost prohibitive. Williams is a different story. He might really get some cash on the open market if he stays healthy, at age 29. I think they could draft an OT. 

If you shed Spain's contract you can get Mongo.    Not sure why they made the choice to re-up Spain but they did, so it is what it is. 

Some decent right tackle options in the draft like you said, so that may be the right way to go about it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

The problem is you are likely playing with a lower cap next year, it may stay static or plunge as low as 180 million.   Tackles are costly, and so far Williams has earned it.

I trust Beane to make good decisions, but a lot of tough choices to make when Mongo, Williams, and Milano are all free agents.

Lots of draft picks to find player and they are cap friendly.

Beane is pretty good at getting talent there. 

11 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

If you shed Spain's contract you can get Mongo.    Not sure why they made the choice to re-up Spain but they did, so it is what it is. 

Some decent right tackle options in the draft like you said, so that may be the right way to go about it.

If they keep him(Spain) one more year through 2021 releasing him as a pre June 1st cut would only cost 500,000 cap hit and save 4.75m

https://overthecap.com/player/quinton-spain/4612/

Edited by JMF2006

He played Guard through High School, ranked 20th nationwide as a recruit, and college so it was inevitable they move him to Guard.  It’s a much different position as you take several steps as a Tackle, but you’re first step matters as a Guard as those defenders are in you’re face.  It’s a very different position.  I’m glad and hope he is a locked up Guard for us for the next decade.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

draft a tackle and sign a guard... imo

also what’s with McDermott giving a definitive answer.  I’d expect, more of his magic 8 ball stuff like .... it’s going to depend on situations, I’ll need to see the film, it will vary week to week based on match ups... 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

draft a tackle and sign a guard... imo

also what’s with McDermott giving a definitive answer.  I’d expect, more of his magic 8 ball stuff like .... it’s going to depend on situations, I’ll need to see the film, it will vary week to week based on match ups... 

Just like he said, it would be detrimental to his development and the team to keep moving him. so wouldn’t sound appropriate to act like that was a possibility. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Minor concern.  Look how easily they signed both of them plus others in the past two years that have been much more than salvageable.  They could resign one or even both for a relatively cheap contract, if not find the next similar guy on the FA market and probably should draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round.  There is always a number of Felicinao type's every year that hit free agency.  The Bills i.e. Beane seem to know where to find them better than most.