Cam Newton tests positive for Covid, OUT Sunday v Chiefs UPDATE: Game postponed

Process
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please tightly restrict conversation in this thread to football and football-relevant matters.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. (This includes your opinion about the incubation/infectious period, interval before a positive test, and infection control measures the NFL should employ, and this means YOU.) We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

Just now, SCBills said:

Lol... NFL is not shutting down.   You think they’re going to be the only major sport that folds to this? No way..

2 of them did so in a bubble. Baseball is going to a bubble now and had the Cardinals play 53 games in 44 days.

im not going to freak out but football has the biggest rosters and most people connect to a team.  It is by far the most riskiest to keep virus free.  So while it’s not freak out fine, it’s definitely very concerning. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is so garbage.  I’m a huge Cam and respect him for battling back.  I also hate that Brady left.  I think we have a Bills team that was good enough to legit beat the Pats and this whole season is going to have a giant asterisk now.  

Maybe for you it will have an asterisk but for the reality of the world we live in it won't.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

2 of them did so in a bubble. Baseball is going to a bubble now and had the Cardinals play 53 games in 44 days.

im not going to freak out but football has the biggest rosters and most people connect to a team.  It is by far the most riskiest to keep virus free.  So while it’s not freak out fine, it’s definitely very concerning. 

NFL is not shutting down, especially with College Football playing.  

I’m sure there are contingency plans, likely the Week 18 addition for make up games.  

As far as playoffs go, no reason the NFL can’t bubble if we don’t have a vaccine by then.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

If the virus spreads as prevalently as a lot of people predict, adding weeks won't solve the problem.

Like I said, it depends on how many players and how many teams, if it's a whole lot and it's out of hand, then I agree with you. However if it's a few teams/players, like just say up to 5 teams (which I still think is a lot) I think adding weeks could help. 

But yes, if it gets totally out of control then I agree, adding weeks won't help, basically nothing will at that point. They would likely have to shut it down.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SCBills said:

I’m sure there are contingency plans, likely the Week 18 addition for make up games.  

As far as playoffs go, no reason the NFL can’t bubble if we don’t have a vaccine by then.  

I hope you’re right. But the nfl is by far the worst run of the sports leagues.  Roger is a moron. 

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

In all fairness, baseball really isn't even a sport so much as a bunch of guys standing around, seeing who can throw a ball better than everyone else.

How tough is it to stand in a grass field by yourself for 44 days?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

In all fairness, baseball really isn't even a sport so much as a bunch of guys standing around, seeing who can throw a ball better than everyone else.

How tough is it to stand in a grass field by yourself for 44 days?

Not gonna lie, I tuned into a baseball playoff game randomly and the announcer mentioned that they lost a player earlier in the game to injury...and I’m just like, how?

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I was wondering about this. If they were possibly thinking of doing that when the playoffs start.

They need to add 2 weeks to the end of the season for make-up games, then determine a player threshold for postponing a game.

The playoffs need to be in a bubble.

This season is too much fun. Pull out all the stops to make it happen.

30 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I've always really liked Cam Newton until he signed with New England.  I hope he has a quick recovery so our division title remains untainted.

I don't get this concept of "tainted", @BillsFanSD.  I mean, I know some people will say stuff, but they would say stuff if the player were out for a couple of games with a physical injury or a different illness like Mono.

Just now, SCBills said:

Not gonna lie, I tuned into a playoff game randomly and the announcer mentioned that they lost a player earlier in the game to injury...and I’m just like, how?

And the injury was probably something like an ingrown hair or hangnail. 

Just now, SWATeam said:

Lol.  You must not follow other sports

Bettman is a moron but hockey was in a bubble.  NBA is very well run.  The baseball  commissioner is dumb but You can do double headers in baseball to make up games.  

the margin of error In football is so much smaller.  So many people and it’s so much harder to reschedule. 

• Like (+1) 1