R I P Mack Yoho

A name from the past.   I didn't grow up with the Bills - they didn't exist until I was 13.  So when the Bills were created , it was all a new experience.  Yoho was one of the guys who taught us about foot

RIPball.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, freeagentqb said:

As he approached the kickoff, fans would yell  "yooooooooooooooooooooo"  and when he kicked the ball would yell "ho"..    Fun times.

I've watched the Bills my entire life.  But I was only 3 in 1960. Not surprisingly the name didn't ring a bell. But after reading about  the kickoff chant I instantly got some recollection.  Must have been from TV/radio game broadcasts. Even at 3, I watched or listened to Bills games with my uncles and grandfather.  Pirates games, too. Maz's World Series homer is one of my earliest memories.

RIP Mack

• Like (+1) 5

8 hours ago, dwight in philly said:

Saw that the Bills original placekicker , Mack  Yoho passed away recently.. Do remember him well , if for nothing else , his name..and  seeing him at the Rockpile as a youngster .. only the oldsters on here will remember  him.. 

I'm an oldster and remember him well. Fans did yell "yoooo" then "ho" when he kicked it as noted above. Yoho also played defensive end for a bit too.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, BubbaT said:

I'm an oldster and remember him well. Fans did yell "yoooo" then "ho" when he kicked it as noted above. Yoho also played defensive end for a bit too.

I remember him also.  He played DE and once returned an interception for a TD.  He was a former Canadian Football League player.  He was NOT a great place-kicker.  RIP!!

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, LB48 said:

I remember him also.  He played DE and once returned an interception for a TD.  He was a former Canadian Football League player.  He was NOT a great place-kicker.  RIP!!

Second pick 6 in Bills history. A week earlier, his 24 yard sack of Jack Kemp (then a Charger) led to the first pick 6 in Bills history on the next play. Had to do a lot of digging to find this. Will edit this tonight listing the name of the player with the first pick 6 if no one finds it. Go ahead and surf the world wide web, I couldn't find it there, maybe you can. As an aside, it was amazing how many PAT's we missed that first season.

Fun stuff. Before my time, so thanks for sharing the memories.

My Bills place kicker memories begin with this notable performance.

How I ever became a Bills fan during that 1971 season is beyond me. I guess I blame my dad. I was a little kid. I actually weirdly idolized this guy:

Kicking & Punting

Games 0-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50+ Scoring Kickoffs Punting
No. Player Age Pos G GS FGA FGM FGA FGM FGA FGM FGA FGM FGA FGM FGA FGM FG% XPA XPM XP% KO KOYds TB TB% KOAvg Pnt Yds Lng Blck Y/P
7 Grant Guthrie 23   6 0     1   2 1 5 1 2 1 10 3 30.0% 9 8 88.9%