The End of the Lamar Jackson Era

34 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

I think the "he can't throw outside from the pocket" complaints are the loudest...anyone you can think of that had a similar issue?  Lamar clearly is dominant in the red zone (37 TD/0 INT!), and is excellent off play action and throws between the numbers. He's had plenty of downfield strikes, so arm strength doesn't appear to be a factor. I wonder why a QB would struggle with outside throws specifically. It's weird.

I think he can't throw outside well because he doesn't have the arm strength.   That throw from 7-8 yards in the pocket to 17 yards downfield on the sideline travels 35 yards in the air.  To complete that pass consistently, the ball needs some real zip on it, because the windows are small - throw it too far inside and it's a potential pick six.  So the ball has to go to the sideline, but can't be thrown until the cut, or just before the cut if QB and the receiver have really good communication.  Sometimes the QB has to throw off balance, sometimes he can't step into it.  

My impression watching Jackson is that that's a tough throw for him.  He can make it, but he needs good mechanics and excellent timing.  Mahomes and Allen can flip it out there and get it there faster.  That means they have a bigger window, which makes the timing on the throw easier.  

Can Jackson learn to make that throw?  I think so.  He's an extraordinary athlete.  But someone will have to tinker with his throwing motion, number 1, and number 2, he has to practice making those throws in game conditions - that is, he has to play real games in an offense that regularly asks him to make those throws.  But if you're the Ravens coach, if you know he doesn't do that really well and you can win in the short term by asking him to avoid those throws, that's what you're going to do.   The result is that Lamar never grows into a good pocket passer.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've said since the beginning of the year that I'm not buying the Lamar Jackson hype, and I'm not buying the Kyler Murray hype, either.   I know they are really special athletes, and they're a couple

Say it with me..."We don't have to tear down Lamar, to prop Josh up".   Lamar is a phenomenal player and deserves his place at the "elite of the elite" table. Josh is well on his way to earn

Eh. I would be pissed if JA had a clunker and the rest of the league said, see! I told you he wasn't any good! I don't think we should do the same to LJ.    Tonight seemed as much about LJ h

Posted Images

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They start threads about him when he does bad in a pro bowl drill (and then he wins MVP in the game).  

I totally agree he needs to be better as a passer but he has a garbage crew of receivers around him.   He the guy is still winning a lot of games.

I don’t think it’s racist but I don’t remember a guy his age and who’s been as successful as he is catching as much flack as he has.  Bill Polian said he should switch positions. 

I was responding to a specific person- your argument vs the OP is fine, but the guy I called out has often brought up race as the reason for some beliefs.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I think he can't throw outside well because he doesn't have the arm strength.   That throw from 7-8 yards in the pocket to 17 yards downfield on the sideline travels 35 yards in the air.  To complete that pass consistently, the ball needs some real zip on it, because the windows are small - throw it too far inside and it's a potential pick six.  So the ball has to go to the sideline, but can't be thrown until the cut, or just before the cut if QB and the receiver have really good communication.  Sometimes the QB has to throw off balance, sometimes he can't step into it.  

My impression watching Jackson is that that's a tough throw for him.  He can make it, but he needs good mechanics and excellent timing.  Mahomes and Allen can flip it out there and get it there faster.  That means they have a bigger window, which makes the timing on the throw easier. 

I can't recall a signal scouting report for Lamar that described "arm strength" as a flaw. When I watch him play, I do NOT see a guy limited by physical traits.

He does have a cool Vick esque flick throwing motion though.

Edited by TheElectricCompany
10 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

I can't recall a signal scouting report for Lamar that described "arm strength" as a flaw. When I watch him play, I do NOT see a guy limited by physical traits.

He does have a cool Vick esque flick throwing motion though.

Maybe you're right.  My impression is that he needs to get his body set and get his body into the throw to get velocity on deep balls.   

My impression also is that on the short throws he has a quick release and plenty of velocity.   

We'll see as the seasons go by.   

13 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

I'm not a Bleacher Report fan, but it's the first draft scouting report I found.   It says this among his draft negatives:

—Jackson's wrist-flip passing motion and narrow base when throwing cause the ball to sail.

—He'll have to rework his setup and better drive the ball with his legs to improve his accuracy—especially on out routes.

That's what I see when I watch him.   As I've said, it doesn't mean he can't change his game, but I think it's a bit of a challenge, especially when the style of offense he plays doesn't ask him to make those throws regularly.  

• Thank you (+1) 1
5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I totally agree he needs to be better as a passer but he has a garbage crew of receivers around him.  

Going overboard, no reason to drag the receivers because they are stuck with Lamar Dalton.  

You should wait to Stan for him after he wins a playoff game IMO.  

It was cute when y’all blamed Woods for playing with Tyrod.   

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30268094/baltimore-ravens-coach-john-harbaugh-says-qb-lamar-jackson-tighten-game

Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh says QB Lamar Jackson must 'tighten up his game'

Jackson has dealt with more struggles in his first eight weeks of this season, ranking 27th in passing yards (1,343) and 30th in completion rate (60.5%). He committed a career-worst four turnovers in Sunday's 28-24 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

11 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30268094/baltimore-ravens-coach-john-harbaugh-says-qb-lamar-jackson-tighten-game

Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh says QB Lamar Jackson must 'tighten up his game'

Jackson has dealt with more struggles in his first eight weeks of this season, ranking 27th in passing yards (1,343) and 30th in completion rate (60.5%). He committed a career-worst four turnovers in Sunday's 28-24 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Yet some people don't see any regression

I like how this thread keeps getting bumped.

They had a quality win against a very good team Sunday. It seems they schemed up some easy throws for him in the 2nd half and he got into a nice groove.  It wasn't a slump busting game, but he just keeps on winning. 25-5 to start his career (tied Marino's record)

Think he gets another 1000+ yard rushing season? He's trending towards 940!

Edited by TheElectricCompany
9 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Interesting note, the 2020 Ravens offense is 31st in passing attempts and passing yards.  #1 in rushing attempts and #1 in rushing yards. 

While I'm a big fan of a good run game...I'd rather have Josh Allen and the Buffalo offense. :D

That’s the Greg Roman offense 

25 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

I like how this thread keeps getting bumped.

They had a quality win against a very good team Sunday. It seems they schemed up some easy throws for him in the 2nd half and he got into a nice groove.  It wasn't a slump busting game, but he just keeps on winning. 25-5 to start his career (tied Marino's record)

Think he gets another 1000+ yard rushing season? He's trending towards 940!

His team keeps winning.  

• Like (+1) 1
2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Kyler Murray is much better than Lamar imho. I compare them because they are both elite runners but Murray is much better passer. Jmo

I'm not sold yet on Murray, either, but you're right - he looks much better.  And you're right, he looks like a much better passer.