Allen 2020 stats (MVP in any other year): 69.2% comp, 7.9 YPA, 107.2 Passer Rating, 46 TDs, 16 TOs (End of season talk starts pg 32)

On 11/21/2020 at 12:01 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I dunno about Brown.  He had two strong years, then his production fell off big time in AZ and they moved on.  So it's been a pattern even when he was younger to have a great year then the next year to be plagued by injuries, and he did come back from it. 

I think it's possible that the sickle-cell trait he carries makes it harder for him to recover and heal up from injuries during the season, so it's just kind of going to be a matter of chance whether he gets dinged early enough to hurt his production.

Is the bolded potentially a thing? I know NOTHING about sickle-cell trait, other than it being more common in African Americans, and hearing the potential issues with altitude as reported in regards to a certain Steelers safety traveling back from Denver a few years ago...Chris Hope? Maybe that's not the guy. Chris Something, I think. 

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

EDIT: Formerly "Allen has arrived" to be updated each week   Welcome to the age of having a superstar QB folks.

A fellow TSW poster bet me $100 he would not be a 60% passer or better before the season began.  He honorably reached out to me a few days ago and paid me without me even asking him about it yet.  

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Is the bolded potentially a thing? I know NOTHING about sickle-cell trait, other than it being more common in African Americans, and hearing the potential issues with altitude as reported in regards to a certain Steelers safety traveling back from Denver a few years ago...Chris Hope? Maybe that's not the guy. Chris Something, I think. 

So there isn't strong evidence.  For Joe Sofa Spud, sickle cell trait causes no harms.  Normally blood cells of someone with sickle cell trait don't "sickle" and the person is asymptomatic. 

But "extreme conditions" including low oxygen levels caused by strenuous activity, and dehydration, can cause sickling of blood cells and symptoms.  There was a study of army recruits which concluded they were no more likely to die as the result of rigorous training, but they were more likely to have muscle tissue break down leading to kidney damage.  Another study found a higher risk of pulmonary embolism (albeit the overall risk was small).  The NCAA has a blurb sheet warning coaches not to "push" athletes who have SCT for "toughness" if they are experiencing muscle pain/weakness.  Some college athletes with SCT have died during conditioning drills.

So for an elite athlete performing an ultra-physical sport at the very highest level and trying to push his recovery as hard as possible, it seems likely that may be a bit harder with SCT.  Their bodies may have to clear more damage due to blocked circulation, and they may have to take greater care in re-conditioning to avoid courting pain or damage due to the sickling and not just the original injury. (note the use of the word "may")

The good news is that I'm sure the Bills training staff is up on all the latest treatments and strategies.

• Like (+1) 2
9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea KC, Seattle, Houston, both LAs and Arizona I think. 

I think the Rams might surprise people a bit but I 100% agree with him they are absolutely all in on Goff they love him in that building more than most outside observers. I do think the Bills are on that list though. The Bills are all in on Allen.

I agree the Rams are all in on Goff.

I agree the Bills are all in on Allen.

And I agree it was head scratching to leave Allen off that list.

• Like (+1) 1
10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Ryan Clark was the player. He almost died. He also had a sister that had sickle cell disease (worse than sickle cell trait). She ended up passing away due to complications of the disease a few years back I believe.

The interesting thing about sickle cell is that it was a genetic benefit for most of human history because you were more likely to live longer rather than die from mosquito transmitted malaria in your adolescence. Better to die in your 20's then in your youth. 

• Like (+1) 1

Yesterday was not a good day for Allen

2 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Hopefully we can clinch the division early on so we can rest the starters against the fish 

Clinching the division is one thing- lets see how the AFC East playoff picture shapes out before we rest anyone.

when will we know more about Josh's knee? MCL sprain seems like the most plausible 

then again, with his shoulder they never did give details but he wore a brace and it obviously seemed to affect his play

it will be interesting to see how this one plays out... needless to say, I am nervous 

• Like (+1) 1

That Josh injury was scary.  Couldn't believe he came right back in and eventually scrambled for a TD.  

Even though he's a rare sighting, it seems like the few times Barkley has been in this year, he looks woefully unprepared.  Just awful.  I mean, the opponent is going to blitz on every play and he should be prepared for it if he throws. 

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

That Josh injury was scary.  Couldn't believe he came right back in and eventually scrambled for a TD.  

Even though he's a rare sighting, it seems like the few times Barkley has been in this year, he looks woefully unprepared.  Just awful.  I mean, the opponent is going to blitz on every play and he should be prepared for it if he throws. 

Preparation can't mitigate a blown blocking assignment against the best player on defense.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Josh' next big step is learning that do-or-die behavior on the field needs to be saved for do-or-die moments.  Take the 2 yard sack instead of trying to twist out of the defender's grasp and throw the ball.  Fall on the ball instead of trying to pick it up and make a play.

My favorite Josh play of all time is that 4th and 1 against Dallas last year when he dropped the ball, picked it back up and muscled his way through traffic for the 1st down.  It's probably his favorite play too.  He needs to internalize the difference between 4th down and 1st down.  "Discretion is the better part of valor."

• Like (+1) 1
40 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I think Josh' next big step is learning that do-or-die behavior on the field needs to be saved for do-or-die moments.  Take the 2 yard sack instead of trying to twist out of the defender's grasp and throw the ball.  Fall on the ball instead of trying to pick it up and make a play.

My favorite Josh play of all time is that 4th and 1 against Dallas last year when he dropped the ball, picked it back up and muscled his way through traffic for the 1st down.  It's probably his favorite play too.  He needs to internalize the difference between 4th down and 1st down.  "Discretion is the better part of valor."

Amen to that...hopefully this sinks in someday. 

On 11/25/2020 at 9:59 AM, GunnerBill said:

He did mention him last week in exactly that way. Think it was Drew Lock he was talking about and he said "he isn't Mahomes, he isn't Murray, he isn't Josh Allen." I don't think he thinks Allen is a star in the way we do but I don't think he is as down on him as people think. I have heard him at least twice say he thinks he was wrong on him coming out. 

I don't know... when he says crap like this the implication is that he's holding the team back from its true potential:

but the reality for anyone actually watching this team is that Josh Allen has really been carrying this team this season.

Allen might be the ceiling, but that's true of any team with their QB. But Allen is also the floor and if we're 8-3 with him not even playing to his potential... watch out!

Edited by transplantbillsfan
10 hours ago, rayray808 said:

when will we know more about Josh's knee? MCL sprain seems like the most plausible 

then again, with his shoulder they never did give details but he wore a brace and it obviously seemed to affect his play

it will be interesting to see how this one plays out... needless to say, I am nervous 

9 hours ago, zow2 said:

I thought it looked more ankle than knee injury, but Allen wasn't limping in any manner after it and played the rest of the game.

I'm guessing he'll be fine moving forward.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah CC is a good listen. He’s like Jim Rhome. What is hot today and quick hits that are massive generalizations. He was very pro Darnold during draft time and has reluctantly given JA props on occasion.
He sees highlights of games and knows the narrative ( having watched last years playoff vs Texans). These then meet his original narrative so keeps himself right. The only way for that lazy approach to change is for JA to win in playoffs. Stop Superman plays. It’s simple as that. Then CC will say he’s always seen his potential but as he said needs to stop Superman plays.

• transplantbillsfan changed the title to Allen 2020 stats (MVP in any other year): 69.2% comp, 7.9 YPA, 107.2 Passer Rating, 46 TDs, 16 TOs (End of season talk starts pg 32)