Sign in to follow this  
transplantbillsfan

Allen 10 games in: 68.4%% comp, 7.9 YPA, 103.2 Passer Rating, 27 TDs, 11 TOs (Cards talk starts pg 18)

On 11/21/2020 at 12:01 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I dunno about Brown.  He had two strong years, then his production fell off big time in AZ and they moved on.  So it's been a pattern even when he was younger to have a great year then the next year to be plagued by injuries, and he did come back from it. 

I think it's possible that the sickle-cell trait he carries makes it harder for him to recover and heal up from injuries during the season, so it's just kind of going to be a matter of chance whether he gets dinged early enough to hurt his production.

Is the bolded potentially a thing? I know NOTHING about sickle-cell trait, other than it being more common in African Americans, and hearing the potential issues with altitude as reported in regards to a certain Steelers safety traveling back from Denver a few years ago...Chris Hope? Maybe that's not the guy. Chris Something, I think. 

28 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Is the bolded potentially a thing? I know NOTHING about sickle-cell trait, other than it being more common in African Americans, and hearing the potential issues with altitude as reported in regards to a certain Steelers safety traveling back from Denver a few years ago...Chris Hope? Maybe that's not the guy. Chris Something, I think. 

So there isn't strong evidence.  For Joe Sofa Spud, sickle cell trait causes no harms.  Normally blood cells of someone with sickle cell trait don't "sickle" and the person is asymptomatic. 

But "extreme conditions" including low oxygen levels caused by strenuous activity, and dehydration, can cause sickling of blood cells and symptoms.  There was a study of army recruits which concluded they were no more likely to die as the result of rigorous training, but they were more likely to have muscle tissue break down leading to kidney damage.  Another study found a higher risk of pulmonary embolism (albeit the overall risk was small).  The NCAA has a blurb sheet warning coaches not to "push" athletes who have SCT for "toughness" if they are experiencing muscle pain/weakness.  Some college athletes with SCT have died during conditioning drills.

So for an elite athlete performing an ultra-physical sport at the very highest level and trying to push his recovery as hard as possible, it seems likely that may be a bit harder with SCT.  Their bodies may have to clear more damage due to blocked circulation, and they may have to take greater care in re-conditioning to avoid courting pain or damage due to the sickling and not just the original injury. (note the use of the word "may")

The good news is that I'm sure the Bills training staff is up on all the latest treatments and strategies.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea KC, Seattle, Houston, both LAs and Arizona I think. 

I think the Rams might surprise people a bit but I 100% agree with him they are absolutely all in on Goff they love him in that building more than most outside observers. I do think the Bills are on that list though. The Bills are all in on Allen.

I agree the Rams are all in on Goff.

I agree the Bills are all in on Allen.

And I agree it was head scratching to leave Allen off that list.

Transplant, this is a great thread and love how you update each week.  Watch after this Sunday and the next, my bet is those numbers will go up.  I know SF can be stingy on defense, but without Kittle and Garoppolo, we should be passing on them all day.  

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Ryan Clark was the player. He almost died. He also had a sister that had sickle cell disease (worse than sickle cell trait). She ended up passing away due to complications of the disease a few years back I believe.

The interesting thing about sickle cell is that it was a genetic benefit for most of human history because you were more likely to live longer rather than die from mosquito transmitted malaria in your adolescence. Better to die in your 20's then in your youth. 

• Like (+1) 1