Jump to content
Billsfan1972

Week 3 always a bellweather

Recommended Posts

Yesterday's Miami win is a perfect example.  Two hard played tough losses (vs. NE & Buffalo) and many thought they are a lousy team.  They then soundly beat a Jax team that looked pretty good weeks 1 & 2. 

 

And now people are saying that Miami looks pretty solid.

 

We see this every year with teams that start 2-0 or 0-2 or seem to exceed expectations and then week three can easily change the narrative.  

 

This week you have Buffalo vs. LA and if one team wins convincingly there will be a new story.  

 

We have the same thing going to happen with teams such as the Vikings, Eagles, Jets, Giants, Chicago, Arizona, Detroit......

 

Example is Arizona everyone's darlings.  They should kick Detroit's butts, but maybe Detroit is not that bad.  Chicago is 2-0, but I expect Atlanta to beat them.....

 

Minnesota looks horrendous, but expect them to play Tennessee tough (and I think they'll win)

 

Week 3 is often one of the most interesting to me, and Buffalo & the Josh Allen love will be right in the middle of it vs. the Rams.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Yes we know that's why they play 16 games

 

Wait?!?!?  They play 16 games?!?!??!?  Who would thunk it?

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yesterday's Miami win is a perfect example.  Two hard played tough losses (vs. NE & Buffalo) and many thought they are a lousy team.  They then soundly beat a Jax team that looked pretty good weeks 1 & 2. 

 

And now people are saying that Miami looks pretty solid.

 

We see this every year with teams that start 2-0 or 0-2 or seem to exceed expectations and then week three can easily change the narrative.  

 

This week you have Buffalo vs. LA and if one team wins convincingly there will be a new story.  

 

We have the same thing going to happen with teams such as the Vikings, Eagles, Jets, Giants, Chicago, Arizona, Detroit......

 

Example is Arizona everyone's darlings.  They should kick Detroit's butts, but maybe Detroit is not that bad.  Chicago is 2-0, but I expect Atlanta to beat them.....

 

Minnesota looks horrendous, but expect them to play Tennessee tough (and I think they'll win)

 

Week 3 is often one of the most interesting to me, and Buffalo & the Josh Allen love will be right in the middle of it vs. the Rams.

 

Houston to beat Pitt and change two narratives too I reckon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yesterday's Miami win is a perfect example.  Two hard played tough losses (vs. NE & Buffalo) and many thought they are a lousy team.  They then soundly beat a Jax team that looked pretty good weeks 1 & 2. 

 

And now people are saying that Miami looks pretty solid.

 

We see this every year with teams that start 2-0 or 0-2 or seem to exceed expectations and then week three can easily change the narrative.  

 

This week you have Buffalo vs. LA and if one team wins convincingly there will be a new story.  

 

We have the same thing going to happen with teams such as the Vikings, Eagles, Jets, Giants, Chicago, Arizona, Detroit......

 

Example is Arizona everyone's darlings.  They should kick Detroit's butts, but maybe Detroit is not that bad.  Chicago is 2-0, but I expect Atlanta to beat them.....

 

Minnesota looks horrendous, but expect them to play Tennessee tough (and I think they'll win)

 

Week 3 is often one of the most interesting to me, and Buffalo & the Josh Allen love will be right in the middle of it vs. the Rams.

 

But allen threw for 400 yards against "just miami" so it is meaningless.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

makes betting the lines in week 3 difficult. Think I just need to stick to the Packers beating the Saints this week for my bets. Maybe sprinkle a little Bills win in there too for fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dneveu said:

 

But allen threw for 400 yards against "just miami" so it is meaningless.  

Miami is a good defensive team when Cam Newton is playing them which is why his performance against them was great (even though it wasn't).  But when Allen has a great game against them they're "Just the Dolphins".  At least that's what social media has been telling me... 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dneveu said:

 

But allen threw for 400 yards against "just miami" so it is meaningless.  

Minshew's 275 and 1 INT were a better performance - PFF

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good post OP.   It’s a long season, and one game doesn’t make it, but Week 3 is very interesting with a lot of intriguing match-ups.  
 

Miami is a great example.  Preseason sleeper hype, start out 0-2 against two, perceived to be, good teams.  All the hype dissipates and then they absolutely annihilate a Jags team that started getting the sleeper hype Miami once held.  
 

I think Miami was a decent win for us.  I don’t think they’re a playoff team, but they aren’t an easy win for opposing teams when “good” Fitz is out there. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are teams that start poorly through the first 5 or 6 games and then get red-hot to end the year going into the playoffs and can cause problems...example were the Titans last year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Minshew's 275 and 1 INT were a better performance - PFF

 

I'd find it difficult to spin.  Anything downfield in the first 3 quarters and he was missing by a mile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It always seems somewhere around Thanksgiving where you really know how the playoffs will be shaping up. Yet last year the top seeds and division winners were very much in doubt on Turkey day. Before that, everything is still way too fluid to guess the future, so for now let’s follow the cliche and take it one week, one win at a time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

There are teams that start poorly through the first 5 or 6 games and then get red-hot to end the year going into the playoffs and can cause problems...example were the Titans last year...

 

Jets finished 7-9 last year after a 1-7 start.  The fans saw it as - we had 3 games with terrible QBs so maybe we'll be good this year.  But they beat up on the cupcakes on the schedule much like buffalo did.  They even beat pitt and dallas.  The losses to the jags and bengals were what cost them a shot at a wildcard.  And then you have the W over buffalo's backups which is kinda meaningless. 

 

Now a year later - worse at WR, worse at CB, missing your all-pro safety... they're a worse team than last year.  

 

It's tough to start 0-2 and get the 9 or so wins that you need to get in.  Of all the 0-2 teams i'd probably give houston the best chance.  They started with the ravens and chiefs to begin the year.  There's a 3rd wildcard and they still have 6 divisional games.

Edited by dneveu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree it takes awhile, but week three is always when there are significant game changers.  This week being a huge week for some teams.  

 

Another example is Dallas vs. Seattle, with Dallas lucky to be 1-1 & if either team wins convincingly there will be endless talk.  Same with Balt/KC or NE/LV....  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Minshew's 275 and 1 INT were a better performance - PFF

Mineshew kept throwing this little 6 yard dump offs down 14 with 6 mins left. Some guy in my FF league keeps saying Minshew is great and if they build around him they will win the super bowl (hes not joking)

 

I told him he's a younger Fitzpatrick and less of a gunslinger. I think last night showed exactly what I meant by that

57 minutes ago, dneveu said:

 

I'd find it difficult to spin.  Anything downfield in the first 3 quarters and he was missing by a mile.

He just needs 10 feet high receivers. Clearly the receivers fault - PFF probably 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Mineshew kept throwing this little 6 yard dump offs down 14 with 6 mins left. Some guy in my FF league keeps saying Minshew is great and if they build around him they will win the super bowl (hes not joking)

 

I told him he's a younger Fitzpatrick and less of a gunslinger. I think last night showed exactly what I meant by that

He just needs 10 feet high receivers. Clearly the receivers fault - PFF probably 

 

I think he could grow into that role a bit.  The gunslinger mentality is there - the willingness to just huck it and chuck it.  They basically played the whole game sitting in deep zones, and jax needed to play cleaner.  Major struggles on 3rd down (typical for a young QB),  Holding the ball taking sacks, all the stuff that takes time.  

 

He checked to a cover 0 deep shot that he should have hit, and promptly threw a terrible pick the next play.  There's some gunslinger in him for sure, but i don't think thats like his top trait.  He's accurate on short stuff.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only hackneyed term I dislike more than 'bellwether' is 'bell cow'. 🤨

*
No offense meant to OP. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The only hackneyed term I dislike more than 'bellwether' is 'bell cow'. 🤨

*
No offense meant to OP. 😁

Got me!!!!🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Got me!!!!🤣

Actually, I think you 'got' me! 😁  At least 'got my goat'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...