How not to protect your blue chip franchise QB

Simon

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

That was one of two trullllly problematic throws I saw today.  But its still not enough to say its a "consistency problem," ya know? 

I agree.  First the "magic number" was 60% completions, so he has a 70%+ game, and still people complain. What will it take? 80%? 90%? I think there are a lot of people doomed to be disappointed. Reading a lot of these responses, you'd have though Josh had played at Darnold's level today. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TonyBeets said:

Everytime i see a run designed play for JA, it makes me think the franchise doesn't value JA as a franchise QB.  He took some big hits today.

JA needs to stop taking hits on his scrambles.  The designed runs need to stop.  This kid could be our franchise QB.

I don't think they DON'T value him as a franchise QB.  He has to stay in the pocket and make quick decisions. 

Agree, but in today's NFL a running QB is more dangerous than ever because of all the rule changes to protect them.  Defensive players are afraid to hit QBs "incorrectly" even when the Qb's are rushing for yardage.  This is why Josh can easily make so many guys whiff.   Can't hit him low, or high, or on the head, or late.   There's value in his running ability, but they need to be much smarter in the play calls (up 21-0 and cruising to a win isn't the time).  And Josh has got to protect the ball.   Absolute must.   Many don't seem to be worried, but this a worrying trend that's not getting better.   

16 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Stats don't tell the whole story--no one who watched that game walked away thinking the pass protection is a problem. As far as the run game, well, the Jets did have the best yds/c run defense in the league last year. 

I realize the Jets have a good run d, but I guarantee they don't hold opposing rbs to anywhere close to 2.3 y/c this season.

Edited by Turk71

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Allen should have reign to run if he scrambles and nothing is there. Don't take the running threat away but these read option and designed run plays are designed in a way for a QB to take contact. No issues with Josh running if he does it in a smart way. But stop designing plays for him to run. 

But where those designed runs helping open things up for him in the passing game since the rest of the running game couldn't get it going today? As I said a few times earlier, the issue isn't the designed runs but teaching Allen to go down or get out of bounds to not take the hits. If the running game was working today with Singleterry and Moss, they probably wouldn't need to run Allen as much

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I agree.  First the "magic number" was 60% completions, so he has a 70%+ game, and still people complain. What will it take? 80%? 90%? I think there are a lot of people doomed to be disappointed. Reading a lot of these responses, you'd have though Josh had played at Darnold's level today. 🤷‍♂️ 

when you come in with a reputation, and play to it, it inevitably takes more than 1 game to get credit for consistent accuracy. 

we will see how he evolves and how the comments do too.

The point is just about protecting your investment.  For whatever reason the organization has taken a cavalier/borderline negligent approach to protecting Allen and increasing their margin for error.  Allen rather remarkably has succeeded despite it - as opposed to the guy on the other team today who did not look good enough to win games all by himself like Allen can.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Turk71 said:

Like I said, they won't hold opposing rbs to 2.3 y/c this season like they did today, not even anywhere close to that.

Last year the Jets held opponents to 3.3 y/c. Today we averaged 3.1 y/c.  Sure, it could have been better. But this is, for the most part, a massive nothing-burger. 

He should've had what, 4 or 5 easy TD passes today though that he just missed?

At this point I feel like it's just par for the course for Allen. You need him to run to keep the defenses humble & helps open it up for easier passing plays for him throughout the game. The defense has to see he's going to be used as a running threat to keep them honest, but at the same time you're right, can't just keep taking huge hits all game.

Josh also needs to learn how to scamper better, slide, drop to the ground before taking hits or just get out of bounds. There's times he could either go down earlier, protect himself better or even just give up on a failed play sooner. I feel like only letting him run on broken plays will not go well. But yes, we need to find a way to ensure he's not KO'd out of a game or seriously injured. 

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

when you come in with a reputation, and play to it, it inevitably takes more than 1 game to get credit for consistent accuracy. 

we will see how he evolves and how the comments do too.

How dare you

He had one game with a high completion percentage and broke 300 yards that eliminates any previous things ever said about him. Of course if he had 1 bad game those same people would be here telling us how the sample size is too small to come to any conclusions

No one in here has complained about his performance today, but if you aren't fawning over how perfect he is at every aspect of the game, your a hater who is unhappy and miserable

14 minutes ago, Bills Oil Company said:

Agree, but in today's NFL a running QB is more dangerous than ever because of all the rule changes to protect them.  Defensive players are afraid to hit QBs "incorrectly" even when the Qb's are rushing for yardage... Can't hit him low, or high, or on the head, or late.   

This is not true. When he's a ball carrier those protections disappear and you can bust him up all you like.

He should watch Russel Wilson tape. He may have a couple designed runs a game, but most of his rushing yards come off scrambles, and he never takes a big hit cuz he slides or gets out of bounds. I think he ran so much today because the oline was getting no push and he was the most effective running option. I’d imagine they’ll try and get Devin and Moss going next week.

Edited by Motor26

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

This is not true. When he's a ball carrier those protections disappear and you can bust him up all you like.

But they don't because he can slide at any time and most QBs will - again, highly likely to result in 15 yd penalty if you bust him up.  

The problem is Josh doesn't get his arse down and go feet first.  All his fumbles tend to be with him leaning forward after contact and trying to get extra yards like a RB.   Lamar Jackson doesn't do this and its why he doesn't fumble when he runs the football.   He gets down or out of bounds. 

29 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

But where those designed runs helping open things up for him in the passing game since the rest of the running game couldn't get it going today? As I said a few times earlier, the issue isn't the designed runs but teaching Allen to go down or get out of bounds to not take the hits. If the running game was working today with Singleterry and Moss, they probably wouldn't need to run Allen as much

The issue is that the designed runs expose him to being hit in a way that is not more avoidable. Without Josh bulldozing his way forward those runs are less effective. The design of the play is the issue. If the running game isn't working with Singletary or Moss just go with short passes and screens more. No need to take unnecessary risks with your potential franchise QB.

Edited by billsfan89