How not to protect your blue chip franchise QB

Simon

29 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I agree.  First the "magic number" was 60% completions, so he has a 70%+ game, and still people complain. What will it take? 80%? 90%? I think there are a lot of people doomed to be disappointed. Reading a lot of these responses, you'd have though Josh had played at Darnold's level today. 🤷‍♂️ 

we both know the true standard....95% Minshew (whatever the hell that is)

3 hours ago, Simon said:

But it also means he's going to take plenty of shots over the course of the season and the last thing Daboll should be doing is adding to that butcher's bill with a bunch of designed QB carries. I don't care if it's an advantageous matchup, if they continue to rely on it, it will eventually cost them what should be their best year in decades. Just tell him he gets two calls a game where he can use Allen as a ball-carrying option and that's it. There's enough talent on this offense to move the chains in other ways; don't rely on doing it in a manner that's eventually going to end your season.

THIS THIS and THIS!  Keeerist on a raft I was screaming Dabol had him run so many times!!!!  WTAF!!!

I love Josh but he is reckless with the ball when he runs. That is unarguable at this point in his career. I want Daboll to call some designed runs, especially within ten yards from the goal line. What I don't want is three called runs in a row. Or running him often when you are up 21-0 and the passing game is clicking on all cylinders. He runs enough when pass protection breaks down. I'm not even really worried about him getting hurt. He's huge, tough, and country strong. But he's reckless with the ball and it's obvious. If McD saw this from a RB he would overrule Daboll and bench him. Run him, just half as much. 

I think Allen is somewhat comparable to Cam Newton in running styles - bigger/tougher guys that are willing to take hits.   They are the "tight end" style of running QB's.  Where Lamar Jackson, Kyle Murray, etc are faster and thinmer "WR" style running QB's.  Even though I think Allen can withstand more hits than a lot of QB's and should still try to use his running as a strength.   Its not going to be sustainable for a long career.  Have to find a happy medium

8 hours ago, BillsCuse said:

I think Allen is somewhat comparable to Cam Newton in running styles - bigger/tougher guys that are willing to take hits.   They are the "tight end" style of running QB's.  Where Lamar Jackson, Kyle Murray, etc are faster and thinmer "WR" style running QB's.  Even though I think Allen can withstand more hits than a lot of QB's and should still try to use his running as a strength.   Its not going to be sustainable for a long career.  Have to find a happy medium

When the show Kyler's highlights, the difference is night and day.  Kyler never puts himself in a position for a direct hit and has a naturally beautiful baseball slide when harm is near. 

On the first fumble, there was no reason for Josh to be looking for extra yards.  He already picked up the first down, and there was zero chance for him to get in the end zone.  Just slide and move on to the next play!

14 hours ago, Simon said:

I'm still stunned by this franchise's cavalier attitude toward protecting their young franchise QB. This has been an ongoing issue since the Bills drafted him, whether it's throwing him out there behind an historically inept OLine, surrounding him with smurf WR's and no legitimate TE's or calling up plays that put him in harms way over and over and over again. You don't get players like this at the QB position very often (hell it took us a quarter of a century to replace Jim Kelly) and when you do you make sure you keep them healthy and put them into position to succeed. For the first time in his career Josh Allen has a legitimate NFL offense around him but they still seem intent on piling up hits on this kid at an unsustainable pace.

This is the best team the Bill have put on the field in 25 years and it is all going to go to waste if Josh Allen gets hurt. Daboll is clearly incapable of controlling himself on Sundays so imo it falls unto McDermott to do it for him. He needs to grab his OC by the earlobe and drag him into his office tomorrow morning and tell him to tone it down with the read option nonsense. Allen has a propensity to take off and make plays with his feet if he doesn't like what he sees downfield, and that is fine. But it also means he's going to take plenty of shots over the course of the season and the last thing Daboll should be doing is adding to that butcher's bill with a bunch of designed QB carries. I don't care if it's an advantageous matchup, if they continue to rely on it, it will eventually cost them what should be their best year in decades. Just tell him he gets two calls a game where he can use Allen as a ball-carrying option and that's it. There's enough talent on this offense to move the chains in other ways; don't rely on doing it in a manner that's eventually going to end your season.

Hear, Hear!  

The second fumble Josh made, pretty sure when the all-22 comes out it will show that he was being upended, as in the pass reception he made to score a TD in Houston, and he had the choice of putting his right forearm down and rolling, or protecting the ball and potentially landing awkwardly on his already surgically repaired shoulder and breaking or mangling it.

Now he may have had a window to drop and tuck and was fighting too hard for extra yards, but that’s because he’s a born “gamer”.  Your point still stands.

It’s very disturbing to me that we couldn’t manage to run on the Jets except by Josh keeping the ball.  It’s a fair counterpoint that the Jets had one of the best run D’s (2nd I think) in the NFL last season, and I’m sure their game plan was “make Josh be a QB and throw it more than 30 times, and we’ll win”.  Your point still stands.