How not to protect your blue chip franchise QB

Simon

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I'm still stunned by this franchise's cavalier attitude toward protecting their young franchise QB. This has been an ongoing issue since the Bills drafted him, whether it's throwing him out there behind an historically inept OLine, surrounding him with smurf WR's and no legitimate TE's or calling up plays that put him in harms way over and over and over again. You don't get players like this at the QB position very often (hell it took us a quarter of a century to replace Jim Kelly) and when you do you make sure you keep them healthy and put them into position to succeed. For the first time in his career Josh Allen has a legitimate NFL offense around him but they still seem intent on piling up hits on this kid at an unsustainable pace.

This is the best team the Bill have put on the field in 25 years and it is all going to go to waste if Josh Allen gets hurt. Daboll is clearly incapable of controlling himself on Sundays so imo it falls unto McDermott to do it for him. He needs to grab his OC by the earlobe and drag him into his office tomorrow morning and tell him to tone it down with the read option nonsense. Allen has a propensity to take off and make plays with his feet if he doesn't like what he sees downfield, and that is fine. But it also means he's going to take plenty of shots over the course of the season and the last thing Daboll should be doing is adding to that butcher's bill with a bunch of designed QB carries. I don't care if it's an advantageous matchup, if they continue to rely on it, it will eventually cost them what should be their best year in decades. Just tell him he gets two calls a game where he can use Allen as a ball-carrying option and that's it. There's enough talent on this offense to move the chains in other ways; don't rely on doing it in a manner that's eventually going to end your season.

I cringed when he would take hits as a runner and I’m sure many other Bills fans did as well.  I can do without as many designed runs, though I think their plan is to showcase his running to keep defense off-balanced.  Don’t agree with it but that’s what they were trying to do

I don't really get it, sure the occasional designed run when they do those sweeps with a bunch of blockers is fine or the short yardage hammer it up the gut play makes sense, but Josh is best as a runner when he decides to pull it down and take advantage of an opening he sees not designed runs.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

There was one time early in the game where Knox ran right past the only guy standing there. I ran it back and couldnt figure out why he didnt block him. It defied logic.  

That lead to a busted play. 

Singletary did this. Instead of chipping him, he actually moved out of the way and Josh got smacked. I was pretty furious. 

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

this week we could’ve won with that 10 man offense and Gregg Williams trains his defense to injure quarterbacks I think is the concern. 

if it’s a big game against a tough opponent I think most are fine pulling out all the stops. But you don’t want him exposed on a throwaway play. He can Kyle Orton it against the jets. 

I mean, I’d hope in another game where we are overwhelming favorites we won’t expose him more. We need him healthy when we play the rams, raiders, titans and chiefs!

There seems to be this pervasive all or nothing polar responses in this thread. I don't think anyone is saying Allen should not run as it is part of his game.

Many of the responses are just hoping that Daboll loses those designed Allen sweeps with lead blockers. Had some success early last year in the red zone, but teams have been feasting on those the 2nd half of last year and the less-than-awesome results so far this year should be telling Brian something about how teams are reading and blowing those up.

"Alarm bells are ringing Willie"

Edited by WideNine

The called option run plays were not well executed.  He hit on maybe 30% for positive yards.   And everyone one of the 70% put him at risk of injury.  Actually, the other 30% by proximity too.  I watched the first hour of the Pats game and Cam was executing the option masterfully. Allen is not the same runner. Cam is a juker.  Allen is a strider.  He does well in tight space to duck under a rusher and turn a negative into positive.  

Allen has also showed a lot of improvement in his passing game.  Nice touch and avoiding the overthrows of open receivers (the John Brown overthrow excepted.).

All in all a nice sign of growth and perhaps the sign of what a high draft pick can progress with a stable organization.

• Like (+1) 3

Its the new NFL. Josh needs to learn fighting for two yards is not worth it. The stiff arm looks cool until you break or dislocated a finger. Just go down and use the sideline. 

Designed running plays for your QB gets you an extra blocker and unlike the wildcat has a real threat to throw the ball. 

Mahomes was hurt on a freak QB sneak and RGIII was hurt scrambling in the pocket.

Daboll was fine today. Josh needs to hold onto the ball and get down. He will run less as the season progresses and they play teams less stout against the run.

The designed runs have to stop, they are what took Cam Newton from league MVP to a player that can't stay healthy. I get that its tempting every time you need 6-8 yards to just jam a big 6 foot 5 QB into the fire but you have to be thinking about him as a 10 year investment.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You gonna be ok or what

Sorry, forgot that facts aren't allowed here

I understand reading comprehension is a rare skill these days. Even less so when your just skimming to find something to trigger you because a response isn't Like OMG, isn't Allen perfect in every aspect and the greats football player ever!'

You posted stats from one game to prove (I assume) that Josh Allen has defences fearing his arm at this point in his career, so I responded with 3 other QBs who had similar stats that I guess must also have defences fearing their arms too.

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

Sorry, forgot that facts aren't allowed here

I understand reading comprehension is a rare skill these days. Even less so when your just skimming to find something to trigger you because a response isn't Like OMG, isn't Allen perfect in every aspect and the greats football player ever!'

You posted stats from one game to prove (I assume) that Josh Allen has defences fearing his arm at this point in his career, so I responded with 3 other QBs who had similar stats that I guess must also have defences fearing their arms too.

Enjoy the win smdh

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

The designed runs have to stop, they are what took Cam Newton from league MVP to a player that can't stay healthy. I get that its tempting every time you need 6-8 yards to just jam a big 6 foot 5 QB into the fire but you have to be thinking about him as a 10 year investment.

But if the Bills wanted a guy who can dominate just standing back in the pocket staying safe, they wouldn't have taken Allen whose biggest asset is his running ability. With a player like him, you take the risk that he could get hurt, just like he could get hurt standing in the pocket. What Allen needs to do to be successful and have a long career is to learn how to protect himself and go down before contact or get out of bounds.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Enjoy the win smdh

I am

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

But if the Bills wanted a guy who can dominate just standing back in the pocket staying safe, they wouldn't have taken Allen whose biggest asset is his running ability. With a player like him, you take the risk that he could get hurt, just like he could get hurt standing in the pocket. What Allen needs to do to be successful and have a long career is to learn how to protect himself and go down before contact or get out of bounds.

I am

Why do people think the kid can’t throw? Do you guys even watch the games? He makes some throws that few, if any other people can. And he’s getting better. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I'm still stunned by this franchise's cavalier attitude toward protecting their young franchise QB. This has been an ongoing issue since the Bills drafted him, whether it's throwing him out there behind an historically inept OLine, surrounding him with smurf WR's and no legitimate TE's or calling up plays that put him in harms way over and over and over again. You don't get players like this at the QB position very often (hell it took us a quarter of a century to replace Jim Kelly) and when you do you make sure you keep them healthy and put them into position to succeed. For the first time in his career Josh Allen has a legitimate NFL offense around him but they still seem intent on piling up hits on this kid at an unsustainable pace.

This is the best team the Bill have put on the field in 25 years and it is all going to go to waste if Josh Allen gets hurt. Daboll is clearly incapable of controlling himself on Sundays so imo it falls unto McDermott to do it for him. He needs to grab his OC by the earlobe and drag him into his office tomorrow morning and tell him to tone it down with the read option nonsense. Allen has a propensity to take off and make plays with his feet if he doesn't like what he sees downfield, and that is fine. But it also means he's going to take plenty of shots over the course of the season and the last thing Daboll should be doing is adding to that butcher's bill with a bunch of designed QB carries. I don't care if it's an advantageous matchup, if they continue to rely on it, it will eventually cost them what should be their best year in decades. Just tell him he gets two calls a game where he can use Allen as a ball-carrying option and that's it. There's enough talent on this offense to move the chains in other ways; don't rely on doing it in a manner that's eventually going to end your season.

You can make an argument that continuing the over-reliance on the read option also stunts Allen's development as a passer.  This has to stop.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GG said:

You can make an argument that continuing the over-reliance on the read option also stunts Allen's development as a passer.  This has to stop.

I agree.  OTOH Daboll used a LOT of eye candy today - plus read option - Daboll wants to make the defense think on the fly, it’s just his philosophy.

• Like (+1) 1