CBS All Access / VPN experiment failed

Ra-cha-cha

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Call them up and tell them about it. See how it goes for you. Then call the NFL, if they still have cell service at the top of their giant pile of money I'm sure they will take your call.

Great!!!!  So funny and so true.

11 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

Couldn’t someone in Buffalo create a Zoom session, invite all the out of town people who can’t get the game, and point their laptop camera at the tv?

Hilarious!

9 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm so glad someone posted about ExpressVPN.  I signed up yesterday, picked a German server and bought NFLGAMEPASS for about $200.  Now I will get all the games.

You should be watching free games - all games for nothing.  I'm watching the Miami NCAA football game right now on my PC. 

2 hours ago, Cinga said:

Y'all are doing it wrong with CBS if you're trying to use a VPN... Save the money, and do it yourself. 

Hopefully I don't get banned, but I doubt this is illegal since I can go out of town on business and CBS All Access will pick up that local channel where i am. You're just going to fool it to think you're somewhere else.

You might want to dedicate a browser JUST for this, if you use Chrome, CC Cleaner browser is almost exactly the same. See the 3 dots at the top right? Click on them, got to Developer tools.

Once there is the hardest part, you have to find the Sensors. Your probably going to have to click those 3 dots a little lower than the others this time.

Now that you're in Sensors, see the Location? It probably shows "No Over Ride" but go ahead and click Manage. Here you'll see a few pre-loaded locations, and see that it is by geolocation? That's latitude and longitude. I hope most of you can find lat and long for somewhere in Buffalo area. Once you do, click Add Location. Don't worry about the time zone and stuff, not needed but name your new location. YOU WILL NEED TO LOAD IT EVERY TIME YOU GO TO CBS! I just leave it open on the right until I'm watching WIVB then I close it. If you make a mistake and forget, close out of CBS right away, and try it again... This is one of the reasons a totally separate browser is a good idea so the cache from it doesn't interfere and if it messes up, you can always uninstall and re-install with no loss of other important stuff.

Now you just learned a large part of what a VPN does for you and it cost you nothing.... 😉 

So I went through the steps you described, is there some way to test it out right now  to see if it's working.  I don't have CBS all Access, at least not right no, but just wondering if what I did will work for me?

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Oh, I hit a nerve with a DirectTV sales rep, I see.

I'm just tired of people bitching that they can't have things for free.

35 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

Couldn’t someone in Buffalo create a Zoom session, invite all the out of town people who can’t get the game, and point their laptop camera at the tv?

Just screen share, no camera necessary. 

29 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So I went through the steps you described, is there some way to test it out right now  to see if it's working.  I don't have CBS all Access, at least not right no, but just wondering if what I did will work for me?

Afraid I don' have a way to test it, but  i think CBS has a trial period, at least they did when i tried this for the first time last year. Just to double check... your longitude should be a negative number (a mistake I made once) Make sure you select your location. Click another one, then re-select it to make it work

Okay, there is a way to test it, but it worked in Edge for me but not in Chrome... Again, click another geo-location, then re-select the one you want. Then i did a search for Pizza near me. First it's going to use your cache (cookies) to locate you. But click change, and allow the computer to find your location, This should use the Geo-location you programmed...

I just came up with this
image.thumb.png.ff88874ee0dbc1489539ee1951f31e58.png

Edited by Cinga

11 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Then shut up and do what you need to do to pay for it. When the contract comes up for bid again you'll get it the way you want it because Att is moving away fr the sat based model anyway. Until then stop kvetching.

Go take your meds, grandpa.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Cinga said:

Afraid I don' have a way to test it, but  i think CBS has a trial period, at least they did when i tried this for the first time last year. Just to double check... your longitude should be a negative number (a mistake I made once) Make sure you select your location. Click another one, then re-select it to make it work

Okay, there is a way to test it, but it worked in Edge for me but not in Chrome... Again, click another geo-location, then re-select the one you want. Then i did a search for Pizza near me. First it's going to use your cache (cookies) to locate you. But click change, and allow the computer to find your location, This should use the Geo-location you programmed...

I just came up with this
image.thumb.png.ff88874ee0dbc1489539ee1951f31e58.png

Yes it worked,  I have some other methods up my sleeve, but this is a good back up and will consider it as may be more reliable. 

Hmm there's now a Carbones Pizza in Buffalo.  That is one place I missed from when I lived in Rochester

Thanks for the explanation!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cinga said:

Now that you're in Sensors, see the Location? It probably shows "No Over Ride" but go ahead and click Manage. Here you'll see a few pre-loaded locations, and see that it is by geolocation? That's latitude and longitude. I hope most of you can find lat and long for somewhere in Buffalo area.

Worked for me. I used the Bills Stadium (42.773294 -78.787661), I do have CBSAA, before I made the changes I was getting my local Syracuse station. Added Orchard Park to the list, changed No Override to OP, and now I get WIVB when watching CBSAA. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For those interested, I just tried to connect through ExpressVPN to the NFLGamePass account I created.   Seemed to work fine.  I had the Chiefs game, maybe an 8 or 10 second delay from whats on NBC.  It looked fine, should be better when I feed it to my TV.   So it cost maybe $250 of the season, but as LOGIC said, it seems quite reliable. 

I spent some time on this today because I usually go to a bar to watch the Bills games (I am out of market) and I had planned to use a VPN + CBS All access in order to watch the games.

For a short while, I thought this was impossible, but I think I may have found a workable solution. I hope this works and I hope this helps another bar-bound fan to be able to watch the games at home this season. In short, I have been able to watch the live CBS feed from Buffalo this evening. I watched a bit of Big Brother for the first time in years.

Here is what I had to do:

1) I signed up for a pay-for-VPN. I went with NordVPN.

2) I chose a Buffalo-area location from the VPN’s list.

3) I had to try multiple internet browsers. I found that there were two competing obstacles working against each other:

competing obstacle #1: Not all web browsers “geolocate” in the same way. I found that, at least with NordVPN, Chrome and Firefox did not do a good job of geolocating on the Buffalo IP address. (These browsers must use a different method.) I found that Microsoft Edge does do a good job of geolocating on the Buffalo IP address.

competing obstacle #2: CBS All Access live streaming performance changed dramatically based on web browser. It was by far the worst on Edge, better on Chrome, and best on Firefox. (NOTE: I run Windows 10 and I updated all three web browsers before this exercise.)

So, I basically could not get video on Edge, but at least the video was from Buffalo.

I could get video on chrome and Firefox, but the geolocation was so poor that I ended up getting feeds that were outside of the Buffalo market!!!

I found a workaround however...

4) In Firefox (the browser that seemed to work best with CBS All Access), I downloaded an add-on called “Change Geolocation” by “ilGur”. With this add on, I was able to input a latitude and longitude for the city of Buffalo. Now the geolocation was spot on! (NOTE: the add-on will make a little green icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen - next to the favorites icon - and right clicking here will get you to the lat and long menu.)

5) I closed and reopened Firefox then I reset my Firefox cache and cookies. Logged back into CBS and boom! I had the buffalo feed! My IP says Buffalo... my browser’s geolocation says Buffalo... and CBS’ live stream works with the browser.

My fingers are crossed... PLEASE let this work on Sunday!

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, gregor7777 said:

It's a little spendy but you can get ExpressVPN and buy the international version of gamepass. It's like $125 for the season plus $12 for the VPN.

That didn’t occur to me. I live in Saratoga. I coached for a while and one of my athletes is in med school, so I had her sign up for the student version for like 90 bucks. 

DTV told me I couldn’t get the streaming version, I had to get them as my cable provider. 

Here is something to try.  You need to do it from a computer though.  If you have a Google Chromecast you can just cast it to your TV rather than physically connecting an HDMI cable.  Not sure if this will work with CBS but it does work with locast.org.  What you do is you us spoof your location in Chrome using developer tools.  You will have to manually set this every time you want to use it.  You can save the location that you want though.  You need to get the latitude and longitude of the city you want to be detected in.  If these links seem tough to follow just do a search for chrome developer tools change location. Here are a couple of links. 

https://www.techjunkie.com/fake-location-google-chrome/

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-privacy/change-location-chrome-firefox-spoof/#:~:text=In a browser window%2C hit,Geolocation dropdown to Custom location…

Can anyone confirm that the Bills App will have the games live?  I didn't get an email from them about it, but if that works, everyone's problems are solved.

My backup plan is nflstreams. I tried it tonight for the Chiefs game & it worked flawlessly, on a few second delay.

13 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Crazy that in a year like this the NFL and directv couldn’t figure out a deal for the common fan to make this work. The amount of money being left on the table here is INSANE. I don’t want directv service, but I would gladly pay them even $50 more than the college deal to get a login to watch the games. 
I don’t know any college kids 😢

I am not a big fan of illegal online streams but I feel like my hand is kind of being forced here. I refuse to watch Tannehill and the titans every week instead of the bills 

THIS!!!!