Kaepernick An 81 OVR FA QB In Madden 21

H2o

1 hour ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Omg yes.  And on D, if you run a play action pass you basically get sacked by LT before you even have control of the QB.  I actually still have the game and dust it off every football season.  Brings me back to my childhood and gets me amped for the season!

Ha, same here man, I’m totally an 80’s video game junkie. I fire up the ol’ NES quite often. 

Your username kinda gives you away as well ha.

• Like (+1) 1

And who is the worst starter? 

31 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Ha, same here man, I’m totally an 80’s video game junkie. I fire up the ol’ NES quite often. 

Your username kinda gives you away as well ha.

Get a Raspberry Pi ive got Nintendo, snes, Sega, 64 on mine

This is why every year I create a player and run the Tebow wildcat jump pass formation. It’s a game, for fun. 
They obviously are getting some bad press for the game this year, so add in some more bad press and everyone will talk about it. 

They got exactly what they wanted, national news over him being in the game. Look at the coverage over a video game, obviously now we see why he can never sign to an actual team no matter what. The coverage would be 24 hours a day non stop 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Do your own homework, Sue.

So you’re going to accuse another poster of using a word incorrectly and when questioned on why it’s incorrect your response is “do you own homework, sue” ?

What a compelling argument that you have made to give any credence to the idea that you know anything. 

14 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

You have a wildly different perspective of what virtue signaling is. Whether it is to remain in power or gain more power, gain revenue or to not lose revenue, or just because you want to be the most liked person in a group and you think doing something that seems virtuous will help that problem, that’s the exact situation the term virtue signaling is created for. EA is nodding to its social justice fans in hopes they will be seen as virtuous and sell more games. What is your definition?  

Keep in mind, these types of terms can go through several different evolutions of meaning as time moves forward. The colloquial use of terms can create completely new meanings, see the term “racism” and how it’s being changed to fit current narratives. So perhaps your idea is a more contemporary understanding where mine could be based on its original meaning and so on and so forth. 

Perhaps you are offbase on the original meaning of the phrase and describe things you don't like tangentially related to social justice or "political correctness" as virtue signaling like most everyone else who eagerly uses the phrase like a new toy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue_signalling

The history of the term is based on cheap, disingenuous statements instead of any real commitment or action.  Often it comes in the form of disingenuous outrage.  The only outrage here is from all the man-children triggered by a rating in Madden. 

If you think putting the most polarizing figure in football in the game is a cheap action in this climate where social media is replete with calls to boycott the NFL, NBA, NASCAR, and NHL due to their support of BLM (ironically, by the same people who are outraged by #CancelCulture) then I disagree.  If you think their actions are disingenuous, I would disagree.  Looks to me that EA puts their money where their mouth is. 

Overrating the skills and attributes of a video game character because you want to align with their politics in the public eye, if accepted as virtue signaling, must be the most contemporary use of the term. I would say this is maybe "3rd level virtual graphical virtue signaling" at best which is now my phrase and I own the definition.

@whatdrought  happy now?

29 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

So you’re going to accuse another poster of using a word incorrectly and when questioned on why it’s incorrect your response is “do you own homework, sue” ?

What a compelling argument that you have made to give any credence to the idea that you know anything. 

Patience child.

20 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Perhaps you are offbase on the original meaning of the phrase and describe things you don't like tangentially related to social justice or "political correctness" as virtue signaling like most everyone else who eagerly uses the phrase like a new toy.

The history of the term is based on cheap, disingenuous statements instead of any real commitment or action.  Often it comes in the form of disingenuous outrage.  The only outrage here is from all the man-children triggered by a rating in Madden. 

If you think putting the most polarizing figure in football in the game is a cheap action in this climate where social media is replete with calls to boycott the NFL, NBA, NASCAR, and NHL due to their support of BLM (ironically, by the same people who are outraged by #CancelCulture) then I disagree.  If you think their actions are disingenuous, I would disagree.  Looks to me that EA puts their money where their mouth is. 

Overrating the skills and attributes of a video game character because you want to align with their politics in the public eye, if accepted as virtue signaling, must be the most contemporary use of the term. I would say this is maybe "3rd level virtual graphical virtue signaling" at best which is now my phrase and I own the definition.

@whatdrought  happy now?

Patience child.

Well lookie here... you can defend your own point. Congrats. Real proud of you bud. 

As for your point: in using your provided definition “Virtue signalling is a pejorative neologism for the conspicuous and disingenuous expression of moral values with the intent to enhance one's own image.” 

I have a follow up question: 

Do you believe Kaepernick’s rating of 81 which ranks him as a top 20 or so starting QB in the league is based solely on the player that he is now, or is it influenced at all by his political and social stances?

Edited by whatdrought

21 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

@whatdrought  happy now?

Patience child.

Yes, they are virtue signaling based exactly how you portray it. Thanks.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Well lookie here... you can defend your own point. Congrats. Real proud of you bud. 

As for your point: in using your provided definition “Virtue signalling is a pejorative neologism for the conspicuous and disingenuous expression of moral values with the intent to enhance one's own image.” 

I have a follow up question: 

Do you believe Kaepernick’s rating of 81 which ranks him as a top 20 or so starting QB in the league is based solely on the player that he is now, or is it effected by his political and social stances?

I have no clue.  His last rating was an 81 and there has been zero film on him since. I do not know how they would adjust his rating in the absence of film and I haven't seen anything to suggest they won't update his rating in the event he gets signed and there's something tangible to base it on.

Now I have an ask for you.  Now armed with the definitions, make your case that a video game rating meets the criteria for virtue signaling.

2 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

Yes, they are virtue signaling based exactly how you portray it. Thanks.

Weak.  

18 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I have no clue.  His last rating was an 81 and there has been zero film on him since. I do not know how they would adjust his rating in the absence of film and I haven't seen anything to suggest they won't update his rating in the event he gets signed and there's something tangible to base it on.

Now I have an ask for you.  Now armed with the definitions, make your case that a video game rating meets the criteria for virtue signaling.

Weak.  

Ok, you obviously don’t agree. That’s fine, we can agree to disagree. They don’t believe what they’re saying, their pandering for sales.

You must have seen the twitter post from EA that shows their virtue signaling. It’s clear. 

Edited by HamSandwhich

3 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

Ok, you obviously don’t agree. That’s fine, we can agree to disagree. They don’t believe what they’re saying, their pandering for sales.

You must have seen the twitter post from EA that shows their virtue signaling. It’s clear. 

Is it virtue signaling if the entity making the statement believes it?  

Kap's 81 is not based on his play, there are so many examples of players being lowered 5 to 10 points just for having a season ending injury. Kap has been out of football for at least 4 years, there is no reason that he should be rated a 81 especially since his last year playing was horrid. This type of thing just shows what I believed all along and that is that this game caters to the bigger markets and lots of non statistics based bull *****.  

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

8 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Weak.  

Actually, his last rating was a 74 in the 2017 game which was reflective of his getting benched in 2016 after playing quite poorly. (he started 16 with an 81 rating)

I'd like to see where any other free agent is given such a generous curve rating wise. 

I think it's quite clear that his rating is artificially inflated based on his off field persona. Any argument otherwise would say that the likely assumption is a player that had steadily decreased over his last four years on the game (from 2013-2017 dropping from 89 to 74) would all the sudden increase his rating by 8% following a four year absence. I don't think that's a tenable argument at all. 

At that point you're left with the question: Is increasing his rating as a football player (as the rating is meant to reflect his capacity on the field exclusively) because of his off field activities disingenuous? I think it clearly is as it goes outside of their own standard and rating system, so we ask the motives for doing it, and that seems pretty obvious - to cater to those who are pro-Kaep right at this point in time - And it clearly strikes as moral/political/social statement. So when we lay it over the above definition:

"The conspicuous and disingenuous expression of moral values with the intent to enhance one's own image.”

And there we are. 

It's conspicuous as it was done publicly and they released statements about it, drawing attention to it. 

It's disingenuous (see above) 

It's clearly an expression of moral values 

And it's clearly done to curry favor with those who would look upon it favorably. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Is it virtue signaling if the entity making the statement believes it?  

My premise is that they don’t believe it. They are doing it to signal their virtue, to show they can be progressive, to gain sales. Simple. You can go ahead is reject that premise if you wish but I believe this to be the case.

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Actually, his last rating was a 74 in the 2017 game which was reflective of his getting benched in 2016 after playing quite poorly. (he started 16 with an 81 rating)

I'd like to see where any other free agent is given such a generous curve rating wise. 

I think it's quite clear that his rating is artificially inflated based on his off field persona. Any argument otherwise would say that the likely assumption is a player that had steadily decreased over his last four years on the game (from 2013-2017 dropping from 89 to 74) would all the sudden increase his rating by 8% following a four year absence. I don't think that's a tenable argument at all. 

At that point you're left with the question: Is increasing his rating as a football player (as the rating is meant to reflect his capacity on the field exclusively) because of his off field activities disingenuous? I think it clearly is as it goes outside of their own standard and rating system, so we ask the motives for doing it, and that seems pretty obvious - to cater to those who are pro-Kaep right at this point in time - And it clearly strikes as moral/political/social statement. So when we lay it over the above definition:

And there we are. 

It's conspicuous as it was done publicly and they released statements about it, drawing attention to it. 

And it's clearly done to curry favor with those who would look upon it favorably. 

He doesn’t realize he is making our case with when trying to discredit. It’s quite interesting actually.

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

And there we are. 

If he was an 81 in ultimate team, sure... whatever.  But to put him in franchise mode when he hasn't played since 2016 and make him an 81?  It's stupid.  He's going to get picked up by a random team, start, and totally ruin the like "simulation" element of the game that people like.  I heard this year's madden was terrible anyway so I decided not to get it.  

Just now, whatdrought said:

And there we are. 

The message needs to be disingenuous not the player rating.  The message appears completely in line with the rest of EA's corporate policy and messaging.  Is their corporate DE&I policy virtue signaling?

They overrate players all the time based on their public image.  Every year some rookie who the public loves gets an absurd rating because EA knows what fans want.  Is the entire profit motive virtue signaling?

Virtue signaling was a thin premise to begin with, the best example of which was viral slacktivism.  People on social media changing their status to Kony2012, Paris backdrops, RIP Harambe and other cheap displays of outrage.  The term is wildly overused and has no meaning when any public statement, action tangentially related to social justice is written off as virtue signaling.  In the very link I provided, it has been argued that the act of calling out virtue signaling is a form of the offense unto itself.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Jauronimo said:

The message needs to be disingenuous not the player rating.  The message appears completely in line with the rest of EA's corporate policy and messaging.  Is their corporate DE&I policy virtue signaling?

They overrate players all the time based on their public image.  Every year some rookie who the public loves gets an absurd rating because EA knows what fans want.  Is the entire profit motive virtue signaling?

Virtue signaling was a thin premise to begin with, the best example of which was viral slacktivism.  People on social media changing their status to Kony2012, Paris backdrops, RIP Harambe and other cheap displays of outrage.  The term is wildly overused and has no meaning when any public statement, action tangentially related to social justice is written off as virtue signaling.  In the very link I provided, it has been argued that the act of calling out virtue signaling is a form of the offense unto itself.  

You're welcome to hold this point of view and to argue the minutia of it all you care to. That being said, I think it's quite clear what they are doing and it is by your definition (and every other applicable and commonly used definition) virtue signaling. You're free to disagree. 

I appreciate you clarifying your points so we could have this discussion! 

The real tragedy here is that Josh Allen is only a 77 when he's clearly at least a 99. ;)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

"After we added socially conscious non-football-player Colin Kaepernick as a playable QB on every team in Madden, we realized we didn't have to stop there," said EA's CEO Andrew Wilson. "We are thrilled to be adding Greta Thunberg to the mix as a tremendously overpowered character! With every down, Greta will help Madden fans remember how terrible they are for killing the planet."

😆

99ovr

49 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

You're welcome to hold this point of view and to argue the minutia of it all you care to. That being said, I think it's quite clear what they are doing and it is by your definition (and every other applicable and commonly used definition) virtue signaling. You're free to disagree. 

I appreciate you clarifying your points so we could have this discussion! 

The real tragedy here is that Josh Allen is only a 77 when he's clearly at least a 99. ;)

You really can't suggest I am the one arguing the minutiae when your point revolves around the inner workings of EA's proprietary player rating system.

Virtue signaling as a term needs to be retired. It is the bastion of cynical nitwits but you are free to continue to label anything in the realm of social justice as virtue signaling.  I mean, what other motivations could a person or entity have for supporting ridiculous causes like Kaepernick's police brutality campaign, equality, and justice except trying to signal their moral superiority and elevate their public standing?  I mean, no one actually believes this crap, right?

1 hour ago, HamSandwhich said:

My premise is that they don’t believe it. They are doing it to signal their virtue, to show they can be progressive, to gain sales. Simple. You can go ahead is reject that premise if you wish but I believe this to be the case.

He doesn’t realize he is making our case with when trying to discredit. It’s quite interesting actually.

It would be easier to accept the premise you understand and can identify virtue signaling if you weren't still struggling with homonyms.  

Edited by Jauronimo

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

You really can't suggest I am the one arguing the minutiae when your point revolves around the inner workings of EA's proprietary player rating system.

Virtue signaling as a term needs to be retired. It is the bastion of cynical nitwits but you are free to continue to label anything in the realm of social justice as virtue signaling.  I mean, what other motivations could a person or entity have for supporting ridiculous causes like Kaepernick's police brutality campaign, equality, and justice except trying to signal their moral superiority and elevate their public standing?  I mean, no one actually believes this crap, right?

Is your point that Kaepernick deserves an 81?  If not, then why do you believe that EA is giving him such a high rating?  that's the virtue signalling, which is, we are so desperate to be seen as supporting this cause that we're going to take one of it's figureheads and shoehorn him into our flagship game in the hopes that the rubes customers will want to be a part of that.  "Social Justice" is now being used as a synonym for pretty much the entire leftist wishlist that's been around for 50 years.  Free college?  Social justice!  Legalize weed?   Social justice!   Kill all the landlords?  SOCIAL JUSTICE!!!!

I mean if they really want to get on the BLM bandwagon, why not put Talcum X in with a 99?

21 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Ah yes, the point of the debate wherein we have reached the ever so subtle insults and appeals to misdirection and emotion.

3 things and I'm outie: 

1- The whole question comes down to whether or not they rated him based on his actual performance or his off field activities. You said you didn't know- I presented an argument that no reasonable person can say they rated him explicitly on his football skills. You didn't respond either way, but that's fine- as you said, you don't know. 

2- If they did in fact rate him based on off field and not on field qualities (as seems obvious to me and just about every other person in this thread) then them saying his rating is football based in incorrect and disingenuous. Even if they admitted that they rated him higher due to his off field life- that's still a pretty big digression from their norm... I wonder why they would have done this... Could it be they're trying to signal something?... Hmm...

3- 

I mean, what other motivations could a person or entity have for supporting ridiculous causes like Kaepernick's police brutality campaign, equality, and justice except trying to signal their moral superiority and elevate their public standing?  I mean, no one actually believes this crap, right?

Right here you've made it quite clear that the conversation does not revolve around Kaepernick's football skills, but rather his off field activities and campaigns. Is your argument that they artificially boosted him into the top 15 of NFL QB's as a way of showing support for his cause? If so, I encourage you to come back with some backup in the "not virtue signaling" department. 

Think what you want, assume what you want. I know where I stand and I now know where you stand, and I didn't even have to do the homework, Nancy. 

Anyway - Nitwit out. 

Edited by whatdrought

44 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

It would be easier to accept the premise you understand and can identify virtue signaling if you weren't still struggling with homonyms.  

Ah, attacking my intelligence. The tool of the fool. 

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Ah yes, the point of the debate wherein we have reached the ever so subtle insults and appeals to misdirection and emotion.

3 things and I'm outie: 

1- The whole question comes down to whether or not they rated him based on his actual performance or his off field activities. You said you didn't know- I presented an argument that no reasonable person can say they rated him explicitly on his football skills. You didn't respond either way, but that's fine- as you said, you don't know. 

2- If they did in fact rate him based on off field and not on field qualities (as seems obvious to me and just about every other person in this thread) then them saying his rating is football based in incorrect and disingenuous. Even if they admitted that they rated him higher due to his off field life- that's still a pretty big digression from their norm... I wonder why they would have done this... Could it be they're trying to signal something?... Hmm...

3- 

Right here you've made it quite clear that the conversation does not revolve around Kaepernick's football skills, but rather his off field activities and campaigns. Is your argument that they artificially boosted him into the top 15 of NFL QB's as a way of showing support for his cause? If so, I encourage you to come back with some backup in the "not virtue signaling" department. 

Think what you want, assume what you want. I know where I stand and I now know where you stand, and I didn't even have to do the homework, Nancy. 

Anyway - Nitwit out. 

You have a real talent for highly convenient interpretation of text.  

The point of that statement is virtue signaling by definition is a hollow, disingenuous act.  Your view of this action and many others exposes your underlying bias, that Kaepernick's campaign and similar causes are of questionable legitimacy.   Sentiments that you rarely pass up an opportunity to express.  You view it as another fleeting cause celebre that organizations attach themselves too to win "woke points".  Any support could have no other motivation than winning cheap woke points since the movements are without merit.  You cannot accept that organizations act on matters of social justice in earnest.  That's why you and others label it all incorrectly as virtue signaling.  Virtue signaling is not a catch all for political statements you disagree with pertaining to social matters.  

When Brees wraps himself in the flag and waxes poetically about his patriotism why isn't that virtue signaling? Why aren't the "I support our troops" stickers virtue signaling?  Blue lives matter? Pro life bumper stickers?

2 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

Ah, attacking my intelligence. The tool of the fool. 

This might be the most beautifully ironic statement crafted today.  

7 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

You have a real talent for highly convenient interpretation of text.  

The point of that statement is virtue signaling by definition is a hollow, disingenuous act.  Your view of this action and many others exposes your underlying bias, that Kaepernick's campaign and similar causes are of questionable legitimacy.   Sentiments that you rarely pass up an opportunity to express.  You view it as another fleeting cause celebre that organizations attach themselves too to win "woke points".  Any support could have no other motivation than winning cheap woke points since the movements are without merit.  You cannot accept that organizations act on matters of social justice in earnest.  That's why you and others label it all incorrectly as virtue signaling.  Virtue signaling is not a catch all for political statements you disagree with pertaining to social matters.  

When Brees wraps himself in the flag and waxes poetically about his patriotism why isn't that virtue signaling? Why aren't the "I support our troops" stickers virtue signaling?  Blue lives matter? Pro life bumper stickers?

This might be the most beautifully ironic statement crafted today.  

Go ahead, say what you mean. Why is it ironic? 

3 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

Go ahead, say what you mean. Why is it ironic? 

You stated that attacking someone's intelligence is the tool of a fool.  You also called me a fool, thus attacking my intelligence.  The natural implication now is that you are a fool. 

I'm not even mad.  I'm just impressed.

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

You stated that attacking someone's intelligence is the tool of a fool.  You also called me a fool, thus attacking my intelligence.  The natural implication now is that you are a fool. 

I'm not even mad.  I'm just impressed.

A fool does not make a person unintelligent, I actually think you are intelligent. You have coherent arguments, they are just informed incorrectly in my view. That’s why I say we should agree to disagree, we are not going to see eye to eye. We are too far apart. That’s ok though, if we were to meet in person, I would hope we could still have a drink, talk about the Bills and speak intelligently about subjects that we would not necessarily agree with each other with without calling each other “evil” or appealing to our own tribe to call the other evil. That’s what this country needs. No ones perfect, certainly not myself, but we have a commonality in that we live in the awesome country (some don’t even believe that’s true) and we both love the Bills. So agree to disagree. I don’t need to character assassinate and I don’t think you need to either. 

Edited by HamSandwhich
  • Like (+1) 2