John Brown Appreciation Thread

RocCityRoller

I should have started this thread in the doldrums of summer, but PPP has been captivating this year with COVID-19 and an election and all.

Has anyone else been watching the 2019 highlights or games? John Brown was a beast last year as a minor WR FA signing.

When Buffalo signed JB I thought 'one trick pony', of deep speed and not much else, but I was very wrong.

JB was a very good hands receiver able to snag many more zesty JA passes with his hands along the sideline than I thought. He was a much better 'hands' WR than I imagined.

John Brown went 72 REC/ 1060 YDS/ 6 TD last year.That is a solid stat line for any WR #1.

I went back into history to put it into perspective. We have had Andre Reed, Eric Moulds, Lee Evans, Frank Lewis, Golden Wheels Dubenion and others catch passes. Where did J Brown fit into history last year? It ends up pretty darned well.

I don't know if you realize that JB's 1060 yards receiving in a season is 14th all time for the Bills player in a single season.

JB's 72 receptions last year is also 14th all time among all players in a Bills season.

His 6 TDs on the season puts him in league with Reed/ Lewis/ JD Hill for a regular season.

When I looked at people with 30+ receptions in a year he was also in the top 15 for yards per reception in a season.

By any metric J Brown had a top 15  Buffalo Bills all time WR season last year, and we don't discuss this at all. I was wrong on JB, he is a very good, quite complete WR.

Stephon Diggs is a better version of John Brown, but is like John Brown. Buffalo is going to be a real handful next year. We might have smurfs, but this is going to be a lot of fun.

Beasley at WR #3 in the slot is ridiculous because JB and Diggs on the perimeter is a nightmare. Safeties will have to play back.

JB is a complete, and very fast WR, JA learned that last year. Diggs is JB 1.5/ Nastier to cover. Go ahead and put your #2 CB on JB and your #3 CB on Cole Beasley. Someone should be open.

I'm happy we got a bruiser at RB. Some nasty to go with the glitz. Z Moss will be a household name by season end. Mark it now. He fell into the perfect situation this time, and it was with the Bills. D Singletary is an ideal 3rd down/ change of pace/ or late drive killer back. He is an ideal scat back. I think back to Cincy with J Hill and G Bernard.

If Kroft can remain healthy, and/ or Knox can improve... watch out.

JB doing his thing as a WR#2 should be fun. Diggs may have more receptions, but Brown may have the yards if JA is willing to rip it.

I was wrong abut John Brown. He and Diggs are a nasty 1-2 to deal with. Beasley underneath is a whole other nightmare. I'm cool with Kroft/ Knox at TE and Moss/ Singletary at RB.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

John Brown isn't a flashy WR. He does his job and doesn't draw attention to himself away from the field. Deliberately and definately a team first guy. I like him and his goofy TD seizure dance or whatever he calls it.  

You make some good points, and i think he was a great signing.  If anything,  he's underhyped by the talking heads/media. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

John Brown isn't a flashy WR. He does his job and doesn't draw attention to himself away from the field. Deliberately and definately a team first guy. I like him and his goofy TD seizure dance or whatever he calls it.  

You make some good points, and i think he was a great signing.  If anything,  he's underhyped by the talking heads/media. 

Thanks for the comment. When Buffalo signed JB I thought it was only as a deep threat ploy. But wow, JB is a terrific hands catcher of the football. He made some of the best rip catches I've ever seen in a Buffalo uniform. His size limits him some, but if JA is willing to rip to him if open then go for it.

Add in Stefon Diggs, now JB is on CB#2 and this could be nasty quick. As much as I love the S Diggs move (and I love it 100%) it opens up the whole offense.

I think J Brown will feast this year, because he is a small but complete WR. 75 REC/ 1200 yds./ 8 TD as #2. Sneaky Play.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1

John Brown is ******* craZy!!

9 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Thanks for the comment. When Buffalo signed JB I thought it was only as a deep threat ploy. But wow, JB is a terrific hands catcher of the football. He made some of the best rip catches I've ever seen in a Buffalo uniform. His size limits him some, but if JA is willing to rip to him if open then go for it.

Add in Stefon Diggs, now JB is on CB#2 and this could be nasty quick. As much as I love the S Diggs move (and I love it 100%) it opens up the whole offense.

I think J Brown will feast this year, because he is a small but complete WR. 75 REC/ 1200 yds./ 8 TD as #2. Sneaky Play.

I had the same feeling. I thought he was a burner and very limited in his routes.  Boy we’re we wrong.  The kid is an absolute stud and unless you watch all of his games, you won’t appreciate how good he really is

• Thank you (+1) 1

John Brown was a pretty good #1 WR last season.

John Brown will be an amazing #2 WR this season.

Not since Moulds and Price were here and rolling have we had 2 WRs this good at 1 time.  Watkins and Woods were great when healthy together, but it wasn't for long enough.  Diggs with Brown, Beasley, and Davis have the potential to be the best overall WR room we have ever had.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I should have started this thread in the doldrums of summer, but PPP has been captivating this year with COVID-19 and an election and all.

Has anyone else been watching the 2019 highlights or games? John Brown was a beast last year as a minor WR FA signing.

When Buffalo signed JB I thought 'one trick pony', of deep speed and not much else, but I was very wrong.

JB was a very good hands receiver able to snag many more zesty JA passes with his hands along the sideline than I thought. He was a much better 'hands' WR than I imagined.

John Brown went 72 REC/ 1060 YDS/ 6 TD last year.That is a solid stat line for any WR #1.

I went back into history to put it into perspective. We have had Andre Reed, Eric Moulds, Lee Evans, Frank Lewis, Golden Wheels Dubenion and others catch passes. Where did J Brown fit into history last year? It ends up pretty darned well.

I don't know if you realize that JB's 1060 yards receiving in a season is 14th all time for the Bills in a single season.

JB's 72 receptions last year is also 14th all time in a Bills season.

His 6 TDs on the season puts him in league with Reed/ Lewis/ JD Hill for a regular season.

When I looked at people with 30+ receptions in a year he was also in the top 15 for yards per reception in a season.

By any metric J Brown had a top 15  Buffalo Bills all time WR season last year, and we don't discuss this at all. I was wrong on JB, he is a very good, quite complete WR.

Stephon Diggs is a better version of John Brown, but is like John Brown. Buffalo is going to be a real handful next year. We might have smurfs, but this is going to be a lot of fun.

Beasley at WR #3 in the slot is ridiculous because JB and Diggs on the perimeter is a nightmare. Safeties will have to play back.

JB is a complete, and very fast WR, JA learned that last year. Diggs is JB 1.5/ Nastier to cover. Go ahead and put your #2 CB on JB and your #3 CB on Cole Beasley. Someone should be open.

I'm happy we got a bruiser at RB. Some nasty to go with the glitz. Z Moss will be a household name by season end. Mark it now. He fell into the perfect situation this time, and it was with the Bills. D Singletary is an ideal 3rd down/ change of pace/ or late drive killer back. He is an ideal scat back. I think back to Cincy with J Hill and G Bernard.

JB doing his thing as a WR#2 should be fun. Diggs may have more receptions, but Brown may have the yards if JA is willing to rip it.

I was wrong abut John Brown. He and Diggs are a nasty 1-2 to deal with. Beasley underneath is a whole other nightmare. I'm cool with Kroft/ Knox at TE and Moss/ Singletary at RB.

I'm happy to admit that I felt the same way when Buffalo signed him.  It was more of a "oh ok", "meh" type feeling.  I knew Brown was fast and that was it, and I wasn't thrilled about us signing yet another sub 6 foot WR.  Brown exceeded all my expectations.  He took the WR1 role and owned it, and did it humbly.  Some of the moves he put on CBs was just plain nasty.  I'm with you in that I cannot wait to see our WRs in action this year, because you simply cannot double Diggs OR Brown.  I think the biggest problem we'll face when it comes to them is spreading enough love around, cause SOMEBODY is gonna be open.  EVERY play.  

Is it game day yet?? 🙂

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Not since Moulds and Price were here and rolling have we had 2 WRs this good at 1 time.  Watkins and Woods were great when healthy together, but it wasn't for long enough.  Diggs with Brown, Beasley, and Davis have the potential to be the best overall WR room we have ever had.

I'm with you 100%

JB was a better than advertised #1. He grew into it, actually became a #1. Then you add Diggs.....

He put up 1,000+ and 7 TD's his 2nd year and just turned 30 this year. He gets injured a lot 2 straight years after his 1,000 yard campaign then one rather solid year with a Baltimore team where his skill set just wasn't the best fit. He gets back into a good fit, stays healthy and what do you know, 1,000+ yards and 6TD's. Key for Brown is staying healthy. Probably not a textbook #1 but can play the role and certainly among the better #2's in the league. I also have to think Beasley is one of the better #3's. What I Iove about both of them, especially with Josh, is he didn't seem to lose focus with with Diggs trade. Not pulling the "me" first routine. When you talk about "the process" Josh Brown IS the process.  

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 1

I really wanted John Brown when he signed with the Ravens, and I was very excited when he signed with the Bills last year. He was my number one player on my free agent wish list.

He is a good WR. Should be fun to see him coupled with Diggs. Those two together might be the best route running tandem in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

I really wanted John Brown when he signed with the Ravens, and I was very excited when he signed with the Bills last year. He was my number one player on my free agent wish list.

He is a good WR. Should be fun to see him coupled with Diggs. Those two together might be the best route running tandem in the league.

So did I. He is a really good player. I think he is, in reality, a very good #2 receiver. But he carried the load mighty impressively last year. The thing that really stops him being in that proper #1 conversation is those tough catches in the big moments. The Baltimore play and the Houston play etc. That has always been the missing piece with Brown going back to Arizona.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I don't know if you realize that JB's 1060 yards receiving in a season is 14th all time for the Bills in a single season.

JB's 72 receptions last year is also 14th all time in a Bills season.

This made my underwear tighter. Yessssss! Imagine our offense at 35ppg. Does that get us a banner? Maybe. Id argue likely yes. JA takes the next step on the curve hes on, and this offense is ready to explode all over.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

This made my underwear tighter. Yessssss! Imagine our offense at 35ppg. Does that get us a banner? Maybe. Id argue likely yes. JA takes the next step on the curve hes on, and this offense is ready to explode all over.

This thread does nothing for my underwear...

2 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

LOL wear boxers!

I'm in a stupid pissing match about how good Davante Adams is in another thread. I suggested GB/SF/Philly could all use Robert Foster as a WR#2 WR#3 now.

Somehow it became a pissing match about DA and JB. No where did I imply JB was better than DA even though JB has 2 x 1000 seasons while DA has one, all the while JB has been on 3 teams and DA only  with Aaron Rogers.

I digress JB was awesome last year. More than he gets credit for. Top 20 Receiving season for Buffalo last year. He is now #2! This team is loaded!

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, sven233 said:

As an oldster can I offer Reed and Lofton?, I won't go back further.

I do think Diggs, Brown and Beasley may be our best trio though.

Edited by RocCityRoller

I don’t think John Brown was a minor signing.. nor do I think Beasley was a minor nor signing neither. Nor do I think Stefon Diggs is a better version of John Brown.. I knew John Brown would be a huge jolt to this offense when we signed him.. I wanted him to come here the year before but he went to the Ravens on a 1 year deal.. when he came here I was very excited... and I also knew that Cole Beasley is exactly what we needed..

Anyways, as far as your John Brown to Stefon Diggs comparison goes.. they both have elite ability on go routes but Diggs also has elite ability as a possession receiver as well... Diggs can tally up 100 receptions in a season and I fully expect him to do that here.. it would not surprise me to see Diggs with 111 catches 1,350 yards and 10 TDS.. he can do it all and I feel he meshes extremely well with Josh Allen’s strengths..

All in all, this offseason has been bizarre... How will Corona affect the Bills? I don’t know... had we continued on last year’s momentum, combined with the addition of Diggs and with John Brown at that #2 spot I would expect career years from Diggs and Brown.. Brown should eclipse 72+ catches yet again along with 1,000 yards.. it wouldn’t surprise me to see him have his best year as a pro... Diggs quite frankly has the ability to be one of the best WRs in Bills history.. maybe not quite as good as Andre Reed or Eric Moulds but within that echelon of top Bills WRs of all time.. This is probably in our top 2-3 WR units of all time.. we haven’t had a 1-2 punch like this since Eric Moulds and Peerless Price.... for that reason I would not be surprised to see Josh Allen put up huge numbers as a pro.... but Corona makes me a little uncertain. If all goes well, I could see Allen with mega numbers.