A "Wildcat Strike" By The NFLPA Coming?

H2o

18 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Again though, if a fortune 250 company is going to carve out an hour for their leadership team on the subject it certainly isn’t “non-existent” as some have suggested. 

This isn't unlike any other leftist revolutionary movement.

You WILL be made to care.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don't doubt it for a second. I honestly cannot remember feeling this positive about the Bills having a real chance to make the playoffs and beyond.

For a long time I have been quite skeptical due to watching management ruin the team. Horrible coaches, idiotic draft picks and lost, amateurish (I'm being kind) GMs were par for the course. They made such bad decisions that they almost looked like they were trying to suck.

Now, I will say it.....I think we have a chance at the title. :)

A strike in 2020 would seem to fit as part of being a Bills Fan.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Easy for me - if the pregame, commentary during the game, halftime, and highlight shows become nothing but social commentary and basically make the actual game a sidebar to the SERIOUS ADULT CONVERSATION that they are having at us, then yeah i'll go for a hike instead.   Do you remember ESPN magazine? it used to be great.  Slowly, then quickly, it morphed into yelling at white people about racial issues, and barely anything at all about sports.  I cancelled my espn.com sub because of it.  It has not been missed.  ESPN chose the get woke go broke route, but made all the right people pleased with them.  A shame those people dont watch ESPN, as reflected in their long term ratings decline.  You can only piss on your customers for so long before they decide they would rather not be pissed on.

Or you could watch just the game part of the game with no volume on.....

Magazines?? Come on.  No one reads them unless they are waiting for a plane.  

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Or you could watch just the game part of the game with no volume on.....

Magazines?? Come on.  No one reads them unless they are waiting for a plane.  

2 points

1) No, it's just not that important to me.  If you make it difficult, i'll route around it and find something else.  It's entertainment, not life.  If the message is "we hate you, but you should still consume our product" then yeah, I know where i'm not welcome, and will walk away

2)  ESPN Magazine committed suicide to please a bunch of people who were never going to read it or subscribe to ESPN.com, or even know where it is on their cable lineup.  It's fine, it saves me $60 a year and I can dial back the script blocking in my browser since espn.com is one of the worst big sites on the internet for tracking and nonsense

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I wlll watch materially less this year as the "lockdown" or whatever it is i have gotten new hobbies, probably down 50% in my nFL viewing, if there are no crowds, probably down 75% in NFL viewership, if the Bills suck, 95%.  Continues this trend i might not watch anything at all after this season..  

And i aint the only one.  Look at the ratings of all sports, way down, look at ESPN that is rolling over, and Hard Nocks with a "sports starved" populace is down, what 70% from last year.

I don't believe that.  

I can't imagine reducing my viewing for the lack of "a crowd" in the stands.  To me that makes no sense.  If I go to a crowded noisy bar to watch a game, I don't walk out because I can't hear Al Michaels.  No one does.  That's as silly as it sounds.  As for not watching nearly at all "if the Bills suck", then you would have quit years ago.

I'm calling BS on your entire response.

2 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

2 points

1) No, it's just not that important to me.  If you make it difficult, i'll route around it and find something else.  It's entertainment, not life.  If the message is "we hate you, but you should still consume our product" then yeah, I know where i'm not welcome, and will walk away

2)  ESPN Magazine committed suicide to please a bunch of people who were never going to read it or subscribe to ESPN.com, or even know where it is on their cable lineup.  It's fine, it saves me $60 a year and I can dial back the script blocking in my browser since espn.com is one of the worst big sites on the internet for tracking and nonsense

Muting the volume during the triggering portion of the broadcast isn't really "difficult"...

4 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Easy for me - if the pregame, commentary during the game, halftime, and highlight shows become nothing but social commentary and basically make the actual game a sidebar to the SERIOUS ADULT CONVERSATION that they are having at us, then yeah i'll go for a hike instead.   Do you remember ESPN magazine? it used to be great.  Slowly, then quickly, it morphed into yelling at white people about racial issues, and barely anything at all about sports.  I cancelled my espn.com sub because of it.  It has not been missed.  ESPN chose the get woke go broke route, but made all the right people pleased with them.  A shame those people dont watch ESPN, as reflected in their long term ratings decline.  You can only piss on your customers for so long before they decide they would rather not be pissed on.

ESPN is in serious trouble.  Serious ratings drop and financial issues.    I watch ESPN for sports, a little politics/ societal issues are fine but it never ends.  I dont care what athletes or former athletes think about the current political environment, they have zero more insight than 99% of the rest of the population.  I find their arrogance of their opinions as laughable. 

And i avoid this website a lot because of non-stop politics, get sick of it.  I hardly ever venture into PPP anymore and Shoutbox is almost as obnoxious only on the more liberal side but i periodically show up there and try avoiding politics.

So yes if broadcasters decide to babble on and on beyond sports i will turn it off.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't believe that.  

I can't imagine reducing my viewing for the lack of "a crowd" in the stands.  To me that makes no sense.  If I go to a crowded noisy bar to watch a game, I don't walk out because I can't hear Al Michaels.  No one does.  That's as silly as it sounds.  As for not watching nearly at all "if the Bills suck", then you would have quit years ago.

Muting the volume during the triggering portion of the broadcast isn't really "difficult"...

If you dont believe what i said then why did you even bother asking what I would do?  Sorry I have a life outside of football.  

And if you dont enjoy the crowd effect on a football game so be it, I do.

So yes in your very dramatic fashion you can "call BS" on my entire response since of course you know so much about me.  Hilarious,

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't believe that.  

You're really stanning for the NFL here.  Weird.  Any other mega corps you like to run out and defend on the internet?

If you go to a crowded noisy bar to watch a game, some portion of your decision, or at least that of normal people, is because they want to be in a crowded noisy bar.  The dialog of the game is secondary to the atmosphere of the bar.  I get it, and did that for years after I left Buffalo, and before I got DTV,

To your last point, if it's a 2 minute bit at halftime, sure.  I'll change the channel.  If it's a constant badgering, then why bother at all.  In that case they're making as clear as they can that if you're not a preening 'anti-racist' then they don't want you as a customer.  Lots of companies have bet wrong and gone out of business in the past, dramatically misjudging the market and their customers.  The NFL is not immune from this, no matter how much you want it to be.  Again, Roger and his merry band of idiots seem much more concerned with what their neighbors on the UES think than what their core audience does.  Guess what Roger, those people don't watch the NFL.  Their help might, but they don't.

10 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

If you dont believe what i said then why did you even bother asking what I would do?  Sorry I have a life outside of football.  

So yes in your very dramatic fashion you can "call BS" on my entire response since of course you know so much about me.  Hilarious,

You know this has me thinking, some enterprising eastern european streamer could make a nice mark with a service that strips the games down to just plays.  I'd pay $5 a game for that or some nominal figure.  That way, no BS, less wasted time, and best of all, no virtue signalling.  Instead of forming my Sunday around it, I could watch a 30 minute stream at 5p

• Like (+1) 1

This thread seems to be going in predictable directions. 

A lot of very smart people typing very smart things that are very inclusive of a broad range of perspectives. 

If the majority African-American players wish to strike without union approval in an attempt to force their white employers and their majority white audience to pay more attention, good. I'm with them. If some in that audience get turned off by that, well, I don't know. This nation is what it is, right?

Edited by Richard Noggin
stupidity
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think it's unlikely the season will finish on time anyways. If one team has a covid outbreak, my understanding is they would cancel that entire week of games. This is bound to happen eventually. I don't think the sesson will be outright cancelled but I'm expecting delays. They'll have the Super Bowl in April if they have to.

Then if P*ts are going to have a hard time one week they will declare an outbreak since Billicheat is always so honest with his health reports so they can do it later when they can get more intel.

The NFL will not want to move Superbowl out of sweeps month for it is a major contributor of determining ad rate.

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

ESPN is in serious trouble.  Serious ratings drop and financial issues.    I watch ESPN for sports, a little politics/ societal issues are fine but it never ends.  I dont care what athletes or former athletes think about the current political environment, they have zero more insight than 99% of the rest of the population.  I find their arrogance of their opinions as laughable. 

And i avoid this website a lot because of non-stop politics, get sick of it.  I hardly ever venture into PPP anymore and Shoutbox is almost as obnoxious only on the more liberal side but i periodically show up there and try avoiding politics.

So yes if broadcasters decide to babble on and on beyond sports i will turn it off.

We all have interests outside of NFL.  Yet here we are....

2 hours ago, dorquemada said:

You're really stanning for the NFL here.  Weird.  Any other mega corps you like to run out and defend on the internet?

If you go to a crowded noisy bar to watch a game, some portion of your decision, or at least that of normal people, is because they want to be in a crowded noisy bar.  The dialog of the game is secondary to the atmosphere of the bar.  I get it, and did that for years after I left Buffalo, and before I got DTV,

To your last point, if it's a 2 minute bit at halftime, sure.  I'll change the channel.  If it's a constant badgering, then why bother at all.  In that case they're making as clear as they can that if you're not a preening 'anti-racist' then they don't want you as a customer.  Lots of companies have bet wrong and gone out of business in the past, dramatically misjudging the market and their customers.  The NFL is not immune from this, no matter how much you want it to be.  Again, Roger and his merry band of idiots seem much more concerned with what their neighbors on the UES think than what their core audience does.  Guess what Roger, those people don't watch the NFL.  Their help might, but they don't.

You know this has me thinking, some enterprising eastern european streamer could make a nice mark with a service that strips the games down to just plays.  I'd pay $5 a game for that or some nominal figure.  That way, no BS, less wasted time, and best of all, no virtue signalling.  Instead of forming my Sunday around it, I could watch a 30 minute stream at 5p

So if I didn't like what the network commentators (who are not part of the NFL "corps") were saying about a broadcast and turned down the volume, but still watch the game...I am "really" "weird" "stanning" for a mega corp?

Hmmm....now that you mention it, I'm stanning for mega corps all the time!  I drive a car made by a mega corp.  When people talk about cars I tell them how much I like my car.  Then I ask them what they drive, and I say "yeah that car blows, you should be driving what I drive".  And when I go to a restaurant and order the mega corps cola that I prefer and they say: "is (other mega corp cola) ok?" I let them know that it is NOT OK, and I ask for tap water instead (that's a lost sale!). And when I see someone tapping their rank smart phone I can plainly see that it is not made by the mega corp that makes my very nice phone, I might say to them: "hey, what.....do you get that free with your TracFone prepay??"---and then I laugh at them and put my far nicer phone to my ear and pretend I just got a phone call as I walk away.

But seriously, I can't tell if you are serious with your reply.  If the current cause-of-the-day "badgering" is insurmountably difficult for you to endure--so much so that you won't even watch the football game parts--then you weren't a real fan of the game to begin with and the NFL likely has written you off in their calculus anyway.  They will "See you next season", because you will be back.  Just like Roy B will be back.  This site has had innumerable posters over the years decrying the impending "end of the NFL"  and/or "i'm done with then NFL", only to keep on a-posting.

See you soon!

8 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

With all the things to worry about in 2020 already, I'm not going to worry about things that may or may not happen.

That is an important life lesson we have learned the hard way. The serenity prayer comes in handy at times. 

• Like (+1) 1

Has it been mentioned anywhere that if a player misses a game without having an injury or some other CBA accepted excuse he doesn't just lose 1/17 of his salary? He loses 25% of it, including 25% of prorated amounts of signing bonuses and roster bonuses. Dak Prescott would be giving up $7.75 million. Stefon Diggs - $2.95 million.

Of course for every high paid player there's a dozen or so who make much less. Is Zack Moss going to give up $209,650 of his $610,000 for a one game protest? One would think if the players were that serious about effecting change they could find a better use for that money besides giving it back to their employer.

Now if the NFLPA is talking to the league about somehow doing this without that kind of retribution, then it would no longer be a wildcat strike. It would just be a thing agreed to by both sides.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

And this is why our country is in the shape it is in.  I like to believe most people are in the in between category but you don’t really get a choice for that anymore.  It’s pathetic.

Most people probably are in between. With this beautiful social media world, generally the few with an agenda to push make the most noise. The in between are more likely to be less active pushing the in between.

I've also read that countries like Russia and China actively incite unrest by doing things like pumping in memes and and hound social media platforms so that can't help.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Jobot said:

If they sit out until changes are made, then I'll respect these decisions, until then it's hollow.

I don’t mean to be an ass but all I can do is laugh at this line of thinking.

Anyone that thinks a law enforcement officer, when faced with the decision of using deadly force against a minority, or a non-minority, is going to be thinking what sort of effect this will have on what athletes may or may not do concerning playing games,...well, that isn’t going to happen because that will be one of the furthest things from his or her mind when making the decision to pull the trigger or not to.

About the only thing that can be done to prevent the death on an innocent person is to take firearms away from 800,000 officers in this country. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Back to the point of this topic....I wonder what would happen, let’s say, if the NFLPA started boycotting games and fans that paid for the Sunday Ticket started a class action suit against the NFL/NFLPA/DirecTV to recoup money spent for a product that wasn’t delivered?

• Like (+1) 1