A "Wildcat Strike" By The NFLPA Coming?

H2o

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Hmmm we’ll see that depends...

i think there would be a contingent who will find it not only offensive but repressive, and as a result believe all people should have their legs amputated for justice and of course ban the word, rename people named Midge, and remove the letter m from the alphabet. 

Then on the other hand there would be those offended that it might be considered offensive, maintain using the word is their god given right and if we must go to war and die to use the word, so be it AND too bad for those born into that lack of height... it’s their problem, society owes them nothing.  Their parents were probably sinners.  

so somewhere in between there.

We don't have in-betweens anymore. You have to choose one extreme or the other.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No, it is tied to the media deals and where they are heading. The NFL currently receives $5B a year from media partners. Football is the crown jewel of networks. That isn’t changing anytime soon. We are multiple TV contracts away from that changing. That is a generation or more. 

I’m not trying to be rude but you really aren’t grasping a very simple concept. The money involved in sports now is SO different from the 1930’s. That is what drives stability. Until there is a MASSIVE migration from football and the networks pull out it is bulletproof. You really don’t understand this and the next deal is going to grow making football MORE bulletproof moving forward. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/02/22/nfl-tv-rights-up-for-renewal-in-2022-and-big-media-will-pay-more.html

dead horse 2X

"Until there is a MASSIVE migration from football"  As i have implied/said multiple times, there was massive migration away from Boxing and Horse Racing and it happened in a matter of a few decades...and it happens to all sports.

And CTE and Football are real issues, football was almost banned for being too violent, with liability issues could happen.  Football was almost banned 115 years ago.  Start paying college players and guess what, they are de-facto employees and think of the Billions in CTE related lawsuits.

Oh yeah, there could easily be a massive migration ways from football.  Want to see what football could look like, watch the pro bowl.

I mean If college football, especially the SEC did this, there would be no sports for snowflakes to watch.  

I love football and would hate missing a week but this is how you get people to listen. 

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

We don't have in-betweens anymore. You have to choose one extreme or the other.

And this is why our country is in the shape it is in.  I like to believe most people are in the in between category but you don’t really get a choice for that anymore.  It’s pathetic.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

dead horse 2X

"Until there is a MASSIVE migration from football"  As i have implied/said multiple times, there was massive migration away from Boxing and Horse Racing and it happened in a matter of a few decades...and it happens to all sports.

And CTE and Football are real issues, football was almost banned for being too violent, with liability issues could happen.  Football was almost banned 115 years ago.  Start paying college players and guess what, they are de-facto employees and think of the Billions in CTE related lawsuits.

Oh yeah, there could easily be a massive migration ways from football.  Want to see what football could look like, watch the pro bowl.

So, football’s media deal will double. It is trending up but the expectation is that it will die shortly thereafter? That makes no sense. Now, maybe the CTE stuff gets worse (I tend to agree there) and participation drops. Maybe the product gets worse and people lose interest? If that happens the networks scale back (although it’s a long way to go from $15B annually to zero). That’s why I say it’s AT LEAST a generation away. 

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

And this is why our country is in the shape it is in.  I like to believe most people are in the in between category but you don’t really get a choice for that anymore.  It’s pathetic.

Umm, one of the candidates for president is "in between" but his opponent -- who is completely extreme -- has to paint him as extreme to incite his base.  There are millions of us who are "in between" but sometimes you have to take a stand on the most important issues where there truly is no "in between."  Race is one of those issues.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

dead horse 2X

WTF??

Anyway, as soon as football was televised to a majority of Americans, it was a done deal.  That won't change.  Baseball, NBA and NHL are happening no one's noticed.  Instead, everyone is counting the days until Week 1.

1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Lol these block heads think we care what they have to say about anything that’s not about football 

Judging by the comments in this thread, I’d say they have good reason to think that. Seems some of us care a great deal about what they’re saying about something that’s not about football. 

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

WTF??

Anyway, as soon as football was televised to a majority of Americans, it was a done deal.  That won't change.  Baseball, NBA and NHL are happening no one's noticed.  Instead, everyone is counting the days until Week 1.

Been discussed ad nauseam already.  Yeah right it will NEVER change, ok got it! 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not in your lifetime.  You won't stop watching, so why would the masses?

Meh. Tastes change, people find other things to do.  Your father probably had a similar thought about network television in the 80s.  Now the only time i have network television on is for local news, and only then if there's a weather crisis

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean If college football, especially the SEC did this, there would be no sports for snowflakes to watch.  

I love football and would hate missing a week but this is how you get people to listen. 

Just curious, Biscuit, but what don’t you feel like you have a choice in anymore? 

These athletes have an over inflated opinion of themselves.  Nothing they do in terms of sitting out games, antics during the national anthems, etc... will make a damn bit of difference. 

They want to make a difference? Sit down with inner city leaders, police commissioners, and elected officials and demand change and ask what they can do to help?   How often does this happen?   I’d guess not very often, if at all. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, eball said:

Umm, one of the candidates for president is "in between" but his opponent -- who is completely extreme -- has to paint him as extreme to incite his base.  There are millions of us who are "in between" but sometimes you have to take a stand on the most important issues where there truly is no "in between."  Race is one of those issues.

Race is an issue because the media wants it to be an issue.  And that's because they hate our president and want the masses to believe he is a racist, which he is not.  And by inflaming America, they are actually helping to reelect the man they hate.  Most of you on here live in some proverbial bubble and think that most people actually care about the concept of "Social Justice".  Its a made up fallacy by people who feel that white folk have too much.  They call it "White Privilege."  In actuality there were two unfortunate incidents this summer perpetrated by at least one group of bad cops.  The recent incident in Wisconsin is not so clear cut.  (I guess it depends on what you feel a cops rights are to subdue a knife weilding suspect who has several outstanding warrants, and is your typical scumbag)  You get rid of the rogue cops and the country is fine.  Everyone has equal rights in this country in 2020.  I believe most people get along w each other regardless of the color of their skin.  And I also believe that to rail on people who want to cause anarchy and burn and destroy people's businesses is not being racist, but trying to keep societal order.  And to strike or protest over some perceived inequity in society will do nothing.  Small town and rural America could care less about what some younger people (athletes or not) feel is unfair in society.  If some of you disagree with my ideas that's fine.  But I will say you have been living way too far down in Alice's in Wonderland's hole for too long and have lost all semblance of reality.  

• Haha (+1) 1