Is anyone else less invested in this season than normal?

Cal

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The problem with our country again is it’s the loudest idiots making the most noise.  No cop should get killed for doing their job.  All their lives matter. 

but when a black man gets killed for selling cigarettes while a loser incel with a bowl cut who massacred a black church group gets picked up by the cops and taken to Burger King, that kinda seems a bit uneven. 

Yes but that’s not the case all the time.  The DC Sniper massacred several people and was calmly arrested....he was black. 

If you aren't invested because of the "politics" that will be messaged then honestly why watch a sport comprised of 68% young African American men and be surprised that they want to speak out about the issues they feel are impacting their communities? If you are invested less because of Covid, then I understand. No fans in the stands doesn't bother me personally (been watching the NBA bubble and it isn't any less interesting to me) but I can get people not enjoying it as much. Also while there haven't been a ton of opt outs there is enough to make you think things are a bit off more than usual. 

The only thing that is making me less invested this season is the possibility of a Covid outbreak on a team messing up the season. I think the NFL should have bubbled up like the NHL and NBA (Make 4 regional bubbles) and this way the chance of an outbreak is far more limited. If I knew that there wasn't a good chance of a Covid outbreak I would be just as invested as ever, right now I am "just" 90% as invested as I would be for a "normal" season. 

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes but that’s not the case all the time.  The DC Sniper massacred several people and was calmly arrested....he was black. 

To quote the late great Patrice O'Neal, "they for sure thought the DC Sniper was a white guy... Sniper? That's a white guy crime"

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

If you aren't invested because of the "politics" that will be messaged then honestly why watch a sport comprised of 68% young African American men and be surprised that they want to speak out about the issues they feel are impacting their communities? If you are invested less because of Covid, then I understand. No fans in the stands doesn't bother me personally (been watching the NBA bubble and it isn't any less interesting to me) but I can get people not enjoying it as much. Also while there haven't been a ton of opt outs there is enough to make you think things are a bit off more than usual. 

The only thing that is making me less invested this season is the possibility of a Covid outbreak on a team messing up the season. I think the NFL should have bubbled up like the NHL and NBA (Make 4 regional bubbles) and this way the chance of an outbreak is far more limited. If I knew that there wasn't a good chance of a Covid outbreak I would be just as invested as ever, right now I am "just" 90% as invested as I would be for a "normal" season. 

To quote the late great Patrice O'Neal, "they for sure thought the DC Sniper was a white guy... Sniper? That's a white guy crime"

RIP Patrice....I hate many great comedians are gone so soon.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

RIP Patrice....I hate many great comedians are gone so soon.

There isn't a month that goes by since he passed in late 2011 where I don't think "what would Patrice have thought about this issue" agree or disagree with his take he always had an interesting perspective. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I hear your point.  I just think that people are forgetting that Police Lives Matter as well.  48 were killed last year.   

I just don't know what you expect a Cop to do if a guy isn't responding to a taser and you can't take him down to the ground and get on top of him.  I've got many friends who are Cops and it nearly makes the job impossible.  

Somehow they deal with that situation in England for instance, where cops don't carry guns. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/why-london-won-t-arm-all-police-despite-severe-terror-n737551    So it can't really be all that impossible now can it?  

50 minutes ago, Georgia Bill said:

Somehow they deal with that situation in England for instance, where cops don't carry guns. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/why-london-won-t-arm-all-police-despite-severe-terror-n737551    So it can't really be all that impossible now can it?  

Its two different countries.  The US murder rate is 18 times higher than the United Kingdom.

Cops are also killed at an 8 times higher rate in the US than the United Kingdom.

On 9/4/2020 at 10:45 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Completely terrible as well and I’m glad that idiot got taken out.  

but it’s unfortunately two different things.  When you sign up to be an officer, you know the risk.  That’s why they are held to a higher standard than a lot of the garbage they deal with.  You can’t just make mistakes as a police officer.  That’s the main message people are saying.  And if they do make those mistakes, they need to be held accountable, which the overwhelmingly amount of the time they are not.  

I think every rational person knows how important police are so it’s a weird thing to try to politicize.  

The margin of error must be much higher then what the public thinks. 

The public makes knee jerk reactions and decisions when they see police use lethal force on video.  They make judgements on emotions and visual interpretation, usually on a few short seconds or the tail end of an encounter gone wrong, not on the actual full scope of the situation.  They aren't having that experience in real time, they can't get an idea of how erratic a suspect was or what he was saying or what kind of vibe you were getting from being around that person.  All of those things must be taken into consideration when deciding if an officer acted as appropriate as you would expect in that same situation. 

It's easy to judge someone sitting in the safety of your chair but if you were wrestling around with some stranger on the ground, who was reaching for the weapon you had in your pocket, I can guarantee you, you don't know what his intentions are and you would use whatever force you needed to, to come out of that alive. 

At the end of the day police are human beings, they are going to make mistakes as no one is infallible. The question that needs to be asked is, were these mistakes made reasonable considering the situation? Police need to be given a larger margin of error given the type of situations they are put in on a regular basis. They are risking everything being out there because they want to be somewhere where they're protecting people. Unless it is clear  the police officer was using truly unnecessary force, then leeway must be given. If you continue to beat the drum and call all cops bad or expect them to be arrested and prosecuted for taking risks in their job you're going to have no one who wants to be a police officer. No way would it be worth it to risk your life protecting your community and then have to be worried about making a mistake while protecting the community that lands you in prison for the rest of your life.

I am MORE invested in this season than ever before! I have never experienced the Bills winning a division title, hosting a playoff game, winning a playoff game, or playing in an AFC Championship game. They finally constructed a team that has a realistic shot at achieving all of this.

It’s definitely a little sad to know that the Bills won’t be playing this year in front of their typical home game crowds. But I also can’t think of a more poetically beautiful season for the Buffalo red, white, and blue to win its first Super Bowl than during the year of Covid-19...and 100 years after the Staley Swindle, no less! America loves its Cinderella stories with likeable characters (players). Maybe America NEEDS the Bills to lift its spirits from the mess that has been 2020?

I won’t get into any of the political stuff here. I respect everyone’s right to boycott the NFL as much as I respect everyone’s right to support BLM in the manner that they feel is warranted. Just remember that life is short and often mostly painful. If following professional football brings you joy and a bit of relief in your life, then that alone could be a worthy reason to keep watching. Just my stupid opinion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/1/2020 at 7:07 PM, Cal said:

I don't know. I'm not as excited for football as normal. Maybe it's the political bs that we are going to have to see, listen too before and after each game or the other stuff we have to deal with nowadays. Also the no preseason and games with no fans.

We've had season tickets for 50 years in my family, will be the one of the first ones in when they allow any amount of fans. I really don't care as much. We've seen the NBA ratings are not great with limited sports on. People may be fed up and sports is no longer a outlet. Is it just me? 

Nevertheless. Go Bills!

I've been so disinterested I forgot to draft in 2 of my fantasy leagues... 

Didn't even remember football was starting up soon until I saw a link in another unrelated sports article (Novak Djokovic hitting some woman in the throat with a tennis ball?) that showed a Bills helmet, then popped on over to the boards.

8 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I am no less invested in the Bills than I ever have been. Why should I be? If the players want to act out for justice, I will support them in that as well. Go Bills!

Adding on to that:

I mainly just want to watch them play the most high level of football in the world. Its something to enjoy with friends and family.

Anyone who can't compartmentalize this ***** is in a real emotional predicament of their own making. What a waste of time. We only have a limited amount of time here...

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/1/2020 at 8:50 PM, Coach Tuesday said:

Honestly go watch NASCAR and UFC and conspiracy videos on Facebook.  No one cares.  If you feel triggered by the politics of the people who entertain you then just don’t pay for the product.  Why is it that the same folks who want athletes to “shut up and play” can’t “shut up and leave”?  

I went back and read the OP again. The poster comes off as a person who was thinking about the situation and wanted to talk about it with other Bills Fans. I don't necessarily agree with everything he writes, but he makes points and is expressing his feelings in a non-combative way. Would you care to explain what triggered you to the point of hostility?

Thanks, because I am missing the part of his post which moved you to the degree of getting angry at and offensive to him.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I went back and read the OP again. The poster comes off as a person who was thinking about the situation and wanted to talk about it with other Bills Fans. I don't necessarily agree with everything he writes, but he makes points and is expressing his feelings in a non-combative way. Would you care to explain what triggered you to the point of hostility?

Thanks, because I am missing the part of his post which moved you to the degree of getting angry at and offensive to him.

What “triggered” me Bill was that we’ve had about 100 threads in the past year about how athletes speaking up for social causes is inappropriate, ruining the game, and causing folks to tune out.  We did not need another one.  This has been discussed ad nauseum.  We are now one week away from what should be a very exciting season of Bills football and we did not and do not need yet another thread saying the exact same thing, which by the way are always started by posters who just happen to disagree with the political message at issue.  We get it - some of you cannot stand the message and will tune out.  Just do it already and let the rest of us enjoy the season.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mattynh said:

After week one investment will be there.  Except for boycotters who don’t like the anthem protests

I’m still waiting to hear a single person say, “I totally support and agree with the message, I just hate mixing sports and politics so I’m going to boycott it.”  What an amazing coincidence that the “separate sports and politics” crowd uniformly disagrees with the politics.  Crazy how life works!

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

What “triggered” me Bill was that we’ve had about 100 threads in the past year about how athletes speaking up for social causes is inappropriate, ruining the game, and causing folks to tune out.  We did not need another one.  This has been discussed ad nauseum.  We are now one week away from what should be a very exciting season of Bills football and we did not and do not need yet another thread saying the exact same thing, which by the way are always started by posters who just happen to disagree with the political message at issue.  We get it - some of you cannot stand the message and will tune out.  Just do it already and let the rest of us enjoy the season.

OK then. I still missed the part where he was trying to deprive you of doing and/or saying anything. 

Edited by Bill from NYC

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

OK then. I still missed the part where he was trying to deprive you of doing and/or saying anything. 

But you know that isn’t the issue.  We have had about 100 threads about “keeping politics out of sports.”  Here.  On a sports message board.  We have had about 100 threads about “I’m tuning out sports.”  Here.  On a sports message board.  Do you really fail to see the irony?

Edited by Coach Tuesday