Is anyone else less invested in this season than normal?

Cal

12 hours ago, Augie said:

The Bills are entertainment, not my life. I am seriously looking forward to a distraction from all the other stuff. 

Truth.  If there are also NFL games on Saturday my NFL consumption will actually increase.  It’s really the only sport I watch and there won’t be any/as much college to watch.

• Like (+1) 1

I still love our Bills but this year will be different from any other we've seen in a while ! If they go the route of the NBA and some of their players i will be finding a lot of other things to do in my spare time .

Sports was & is a way for me to get away from the BS going on in the world for a short period of time on the week ends .

Although doing away with racism is definitely a great thing you can't do away with racism against some with more racism against others it needs to include all concerned not just that that covers a certain narrative .

Holding those that continually make terrible decisions in their life as martyr's for a cause and as the face of a movement is IMHO is just another bad decision . That is like some that believe Hitler was a good person NOT !! 

So that being said as we all sit and wait to see exactly what this season holds if the commentary surrounding the game is mostly about politics, and certain agenda's with a certain narrative then yes i'll be less invested than normal   ...

Edited by T master
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I guess I'd need a time machine to do a proper study. Can't acurately perform the study from within the current civilization framework IMO. I'm sure peasants were angry about the king sometimes, but they didn't have a lot of time on their hands to tweet about it...

Social media is a catalyst for anger magnification, and free time is the continuum in which said anger resides.

you don't need a time machine...just common sense.  

social media is just a new way for people to express their anger.  back in the day you stuck someone with a spear, now you send out a nasty tweet.  i'm not a social media guy, but i certainly see the value in it.  it's just a tool like anything else.  people who allow it to make them angry...well, they're just #######s.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

football is 9 days away!!?? That is nuts!!

i do think the buildup hasn’t been there due to no TC and preseason, and risk of covid hanging over the season. But hopefully the normal excitement returns once they kickoff.

Yes, sir they kickoff 9/10 (8 days now).    I think the excitement will come back.   I've watched a bit of baseball and while it's weird with no fans, I still have the same reaction to a home run or strike out I've always had.  Best case scenario is they have some fans back by October.

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

I believe there are more idle minds these days, so collectively, more anger. 

It’s not idleness, it’s lack of personal connection.  What liberal professors and right-wing internet tough guys like Joe have in common is that neither group lives in the real world, neither group interacts with real people from diverse backgrounds.  Instead, they congregate virtually and/or in self-selected groups of like-minded thinkers. And the lack of connectivity has been exacerbated by COVID, which has made it that much harder to connect.  There are few things worse than the tyranny of a closed mind.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It’s not idleness, it’s lack of personal connection.  What liberal professors and right-wing internet tough guys like Joe have in common is that neither group lives in the real world, neither group interacts with real people from diverse backgrounds.  Instead, they congregate virtually and/or in self-selected groups of like-minded thinkers. And the lack of connectivity has been exacerbated by COVID, which has made it that much harder to connect.  There are few things worse than the tyranny of a closed mind.

This is exactly right. The worry is it has started, or had pre-Covid, to seep into personnel connections as well. The number of people I have spoken to in the least 2 or 3 years who have been like "well I can't be around my cousin now because he thinks X" or "I went on a date with this guy and it was going fine but then they said they support Y". And the experiences I mention are from people in a range of different political positions. We are becoming more and more insulated in our own bubbles as humans. When did we decide you couldn't be friends with people who disagreed with you? When did we decide that diverse perspectives was a bad thing? It's terrifying for the future of the species.

I mentioned in the other week in the Fromm thread.... I am firmly an atheist. One of my best friends on this planet is a pretty devout Catholic. We disagree on some of the most fundamental things about human existence. That doesn't mean we can't share a glass of wine and B word about people at work. Or eat pizza and watch a Netflix boxset together. Or go on holiday and get drunk and sunburnt together. My cousin is a strident right wing free marketer. There isn't a single economic principle we share. Yet the 3 or 4 times a year when I at home we have the best nights in the pub together drinking and debating. That is surely what makes life interesting? This increasing need to surround ourselves only with people who think like ourselves.... it is disturbing.

• Like (+1) 5