Training camp 8/24

YoloinOhio

11 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s funny because I had an ex girlfriend who hated football and would just be miserable watching it.  Then I dated a new girl who loved football and knew more about it than me (basically like the Bill Belichick of women ?) and I kinda hated that too.  

So basically she knew what a touchdown means?:w00t:

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Getting pretty stoked about this team.

Gabe Davis looks like he's going to see tons of time on the field. Loved the bomb he caught against Tre and Tre's reaction.

Side question: is it an absolute that Buffalo can't have fans in the stands?

Seems like it's up to the states so it could change. I mean it sucks but I'd rather they err on the side of caution than the opposite.

10 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I think we keep 7. Hodgins should not go on the PS.. he’ll get scooped up.. we have to shield him from that.. he’ll probably be a healthy scratch each week.. he’s surprisingly had a pretty encouraging camp so far.. and I think he is a better prospect than Duke Williams.. 5 years younger and on a dirt cheap contract.. 

I find it interesting that we fans always assume one of our draft picks will get scooped up if waived to put on the practice squad. I have seen multiple posts saying Fromm, Bass, and Hodgins won't clear waivers if they don't make the squad. I'm not so sure. Yes, sometimes guys get scooped up, but...

Fromm is a 5th round QB, without a big arm, who just had a small scandal.

Bass was a 6th round pick, and if he can't beat out Hauschka, then I'm not so worried about losing him. 

Hodgins is a 6th round WR from an extremely deep WR class, where any team who needed a receiver got one or two or three. He was picked at 207 of a total of 255 picks. I hope he's a diamond in the rough that the Bills hit on too, but what has changed since the draft to change the opinion of the teams who passed on him 6 times each? A couple of good training camp practices?

And with Fromm and Hodgins, teams would be bringing in a rookie, who doesn't know they're playbook, a week before the season starts, in an already abbreviated offseason.

I'm not so sure that these guys can't make it to the practice squad. Why does everyone seem so sure that they would get scooped up?

• Thank you (+1) 4

The problem in the NFL making it universal is the league is controlled by owners, and the owners if allowed won’t give up $.  JERRY Jones will never not have fans just because other owners can’t like the Pegulas, Maras, and Woody and Chris Johnson as their states won’t allow it.

Now the states allowing fans will most likely change their policies before the end of the season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Me too, but I think the NFL should make it universal.

From a fairness standpoint it probably should be universal. I'm not sure how the owners or players feel about it.

At 25% stadium capacity or less to allow for social distancing along with mask wearing its not like the twelth man is going to help much anyway IMO. 

6 hours ago, folz said:

I find it interesting that we fans always assume one of our draft picks will get scooped up if waived to put on the practice squad. I have seen multiple posts saying Fromm, Bass, and Hodgins won't clear waivers if they don't make the squad. I'm not so sure. Yes, sometimes guys get scooped up, but...

Bass was a 6th round pick, and if he can't beat out Hauschka, then I'm not so worried about losing him. 

Hodgins is a 6th round WR from an extremely deep WR class, where any team who needed a receiver got one or two or three. He was picked at 207 of a total of 255 picks. I hope he's a diamond in the rough that the Bills hit on too, but what has changed since the draft to change the opinion of the teams who passed on him 6 times each? A couple of good training camp practices?

And with Fromm and Hodgins, teams would be bringing in a rookie, who doesn't know they're playbook, a week before the season starts, in an already abbreviated offseason.

I'm not so sure that these guys can't make it to the practice squad. Why does everyone seem so sure that they would get scooped up?

I agree with the sentiment.  Last year, everyone was sure Foster and/or Duke would get snatched up.  I also agree with Fromm....and certainly think it is worth leaving him exposed.  However, I am influenced by someone I heard talking pre-draft (sorry, don't remember who it was), but was asked who he thought was a late round player that could develop into a star and he talked about Hodgins.  All it takes is for one team to think that and he's gone.  As for Bass, yes he is a 6th round pick, but he was also the top ranked kicker in the draft on many boards, so again, if just one team has a need.

7 hours ago, folz said:

I think we lose Bass if we give the job to Haushka, but Fromm and Hodgins likely make the PS.  

A team like the Jets worries me in regards to stashing WR's as they have nobody after their top 3 and might take a flyer on a Hodgins, Duke, McKenzie or Foster, although i'd imagine they'd rather bring in more proven vet depth.

Edited by SCBills

19 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s the same way with the OL, the DL, potentially the TEs and maybe even the safeties. The Bills have more nfl caliber players than they do roster spots.

I’m really perplexed by all of this Maddy Glabb love. She’s a 6 on her wedding day. 

She's a Buffalo 8.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 11:11 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

I think those are spots 4 & 5. Davis is much more likely to make the team than Roberts (for example). The Bills may keep 7 this year but I think Roberts is on the bubble if it’s 6. They just have too many talented receivers to keep a pure punt returner (albeit a very good one). 

Just saying....