Training camp 8/24

YoloinOhio

33 minutes ago, RedDog3940 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the PS has increased from 12 to 16 players, and 4 players are protected.  This would allow for low round draft (or younger) players that have potential but aren't ready to be stashed.  I could see Hodgkins, Fromm, D. Jackson, and maybe even Bass as protected PS players.

But they all have to clear waivers first.

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Is it ok to have a camp crush on a WR who was actually drafted? 

Gabe Davis out there crushing deep balls on all pro CBs

So no "Da'Rick Rogers Award" winner this year?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I was thinking Trey Adams would be that guy ( I know, not a WR) from a team perspective. Not sure it’s going to happen though.

Someone said they noticed him today but not in a good way.

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So no "Da'Rick Rogers Award" winner this year?

Duke's still fighting for it I guess with all those circus catches.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m really perplexed by all of this Maddy Glabb love. She’s a 6 on her wedding day. 

I would imagine that, for those folks not currently living with a partner, it’s been a LOOOOOOOONG quarantine...your typical 6 starts to look an awful lot like an 8.5

EDIT: I should add that this isn’t a commentary on Maddy Glab. I have not made any ruling on her. This is just a commentary on the elevation of previous grades due to QUARANTINE 

Edited by thebandit27
  • Haha (+1) 3

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s funny because I had an ex girlfriend who hated football and would just be miserable watching it.  Then I dated a new girl who loved football and knew more about it than me (basically like the Bill Belichick of women ?) and I kinda hated that too.  

So what you're saying is that you just hate everything all of the time? 

1 hour ago, RedDog3940 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the PS has increased from 12 to 16 players, and 4 players are protected.  This would allow for low round draft (or younger) players that have potential but aren't ready to be stashed.  I could see Hodgkins, Fromm, D. Jackson, and maybe even Bass as protected PS players.

Four players are designated on Tuesday which lasts until game day.  After the game there would be approximately 48 hours when all 16 are subject to being claimed and put on some other team's active roster.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

running with these DBs against these WRs is enough to make a lot people think they've lost a step.

He got mossed by Duke Williams the other day. Probably made him re-think his career trajectory. 

Context on Allen’s day as a passer

Coming into Monday’s practice, Allen had completed 32 of 55 passes for a 58.2 completion percentage. On the surface, Allen didn’t veer too far from his usual form on Monday. He completed 12 of 20 passes on 22 total dropbacks, with a touchdown and two sacks. That pushed his passing stats in training camp to 44 of 75 and his completion percentage to 58.7. For context behind the stats, here’s a look at each of Allen’s dropbacks Monday:

• Dropback 1: Murphy provides pressure against Daryl Williams and Allen throws the ball to get it out of his hands. The off-target pass hits Tre’Davious White’s outstretched hands but falls incomplete. (0-1, 0%)
  • Dropback 2: A beautiful, in-stride throw to Stefon Diggs to the sideline. (1-2, 50%)
  • Dropback 3: A strike to Cole Beasley toward the sideline, though the defense forgot about Diggs and he was all alone even before Allen threw the ball to Beasley. (2-3, 66.7%)
  • Dropback 4: Allen extends the play, sidestepping the pressure from Quinton Jefferson (allowed by Quinton Spain). John Brown works back to the quarterback and Allen throws it to him in stride for a touchdown. This was Allen’s best throw of the day. (3-4, 75%, TD)
  • Dropback 5: A quick pressure from Vincent Taylor on Cody Ford forces Allen to get the ball out of his hand, and he finds Zack Moss for a completion. (4-5, 80%, TD)
  • Dropback 6: Allen throws toward the sideline to Gabriel Davis, but the throw is a bit behind him. Davis catches the pass but has no opportunity for yards after the catch. White quickly makes the stop after the reception. (5-6, 83.3%, TD)
  • Dropback 7: Allen has perfect protection and targets Dawson Knox, but Jordan Poyer reads the play and leaves no space between him and Knox. Allen overthrows it out of bounds, likely on purpose, to avoid turning the ball over. (5-7, 71.4%, TD)
  • Dropback 8: Allen attempts a throw to the sideline and Murphy bats down the pass for an incompletion. (5-8, 62.5%, TD)
  • Dropback 9: Allen finds Diggs by the sideline with a nicely placed ball between the numbers. (6-9, 66.7%, TD)
  • Dropback 10: Allen misfires to Devin Singletary. (6-10, 60%, TD)
  • Dropback 11: Andre Roberts capitalizes on looser coverage and runs a good route to the sideline. Allen hits him with an accurate pass. (7-11, 63.6%, TD)
  • Dropback 12: What looked like a miscommunication between Brian Winters and Ryan Bates allows Vincent Taylor to bust through the offensive line for a sack. (7-11, 63.6%, TD, sack)
  • Dropback 13: Allen spots a weakness in the coverage and finds Beasley quickly over the middle. (8-12, 66.7%, TD, sack)
  • Dropback 14: Knox runs a great route that gets Matt Milano’s shoulders to turn. Allen spots a seam to Knox’s inside shoulder, does well not to tip his hand and confidently puts the ball in Knox’s breadbasket. It was Allen’s best throw from the pocket. (9-13, 69.2%, TD, sack)
  • Dropback 15: John Brown works himself open deep, but Allen under-throws the pass. It allows Taron Johnson to catch up to the receiver and break up the pass. This was Allen’s biggest missed opportunity of the day. (9-14, 64.3%, TD, sack)
  • Dropback 16: Allen freezes A.J. Klein in coverage with his eyes and throws a strike to Tyler Kroft in the middle of the field. (10-15, 66.7%, TD, sack)
  • Dropback 17: Dion Dawkins lets Jerry Hughes get around him on the edge for a sack in the backfield. (10-15, 66.7%, TD, two sacks)
  • Dropback 18: Allen throws in stride to the sidelines to Singletary. Singletary receives a great block down the field from Kroft to advance after the catch. (11-16, 68.8%, TD, two sacks)
  • Dropback 19: Allen hits Beasley toward the sideline as Beasley scampers out of bounds. (12-17, 70.6%, TD, two sacks)
  • Dropback 20: Allen throws the ball away. (12-18, 66.7%, TD, two sacks)
  • Dropback 21: Murphy again beats Williams and gets pressure on Allen. Rather than taking a sack, Allen throws the ball away with a receiver in the vicinity, avoiding a potential intentional grounding penalty. (12-19, 63.2%, TD, two sacks)
  • Dropback 22: Allen stays patient in the pocket, goes through all his reads and doesn’t see anyone come open. He recognizes he doesn’t have a lane to run and throws the ball away. He again throws it in the vicinity of a receiver to avoid a grounding penalty. (12-20, 60%, TD, two sacks)
  • https://theathletic.com/2019883/2020/08/24/observations-from-day-7-of-bills-camp-reactions-to-miami-a-pass-rush-boost/

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I was thinking Trey Adams would be that guy ( I know, not a WR) from a team perspective. Not sure it’s going to happen though.

Then there’s undrafted rookie Trey Adams, who’s struggled with the speed of the game in pass protection. Defensive ends routinely try to get the rookie’s feet moving and, if he oversets, they work him back inside for an easier lane to the quarterback. If he doesn’t, most DEs have the speed to get around the edge and to the quarterback. Adams remains an intriguing practice squad candidate, but he’ll need to put some good practices together to make the initial 53-man roster.

https://theathletic.com/2019883/2020/08/24/observations-from-day-7-of-bills-camp-reactions-to-miami-a-pass-rush-boost/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He got mossed by Duke Williams the other day. Probably made him re-think his career trajectory. 

https://theathletic.com/2019883/2020/08/24/observations-from-day-7-of-bills-camp-reactions-to-miami-a-pass-rush-boost/

so that's what 2-3 misses on Allen if I include Murphy batting one down. That seems a little crazy.

7 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s funny because I had an ex girlfriend who hated football and would just be miserable watching it.  Then I dated a new girl who loved football and knew more about it than me (basically like the Bill Belichick of women ?) and I kinda hated that too.  

Was she more excited about watching the NFL Draft than you? That would be the perfect barometer.

10 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I feel like the dude with the hulk hand on a stick needs to give more effort

Next time I see Josh scramble then suddenly go down and spin around like he's playing dizzy bat I'll know at least he practiced it

Edited by stevewin
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Logic said:

True.

Frankly, I agree with him. 

The competitive imbalance between a team having no fans and a team having 15,000 fans is huge.

As weird as it might seem to do so on the surface, I suggest that the NFL measure the average sound output of 15,000 fans and pipe the equivalent decibels of fan noise into the stadiums without fans to rectify the imbalance.

When teams come to Buffalo Football Team Stadium they should just blare the train horn non-stop the entire game.

You know - like a real game

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, eball said:

Really glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this.  :lol:

If you were drinking maybe you'd think she was a 7 on her wedding day