Bills are expected to sign DT Justin Zimmer and DT Tanzel Smart

BillsMafi$

I’m surprised, actually. I didn’t think DT was a major concern at this point, simply because Star opted out. ‘The Horrible One’ was playing terrific before getting injured, Oliver & the returning backups were adequate and we added experienced players in FA. This ‘discovery’ must have taken place recently at camp, I suspect. 

They (DTs) have to keep interior OL from reaching Tremaine & Milano 1st & foremost, then clog running lanes and shoot for the QB if possible. Evidently, these requirements weren’t being met by the incumbents. jmo.

• Like (+1) 4

I think what they are doing is looking for replacement players for season and are signing, updating their files and releasing them since they smaller cap and no preseason games to evaluate them in.  Neither Justin Zimmer nor Tanzel Smart will be on 53/55 roster.  Smart certainly has PS eligibility with new rules.

• Like (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Thanks Mafia.  I don’t remember those two guys.  I didn’t think we needed more DT’s, but they are probably camp bodies.  Maybe not.  Maybe one makes it.

It’s going to be tough for sure, especially since there’s no preseason and the fact that some of the Bills DE can move to inside.  

With Star our this year, there might be chance if they can beat out Vincent Taylor as a 4th DT.  I think a lot depends on the health of Harrison Phillips...and whether they want to keep 4 DT’s on the roster

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I think what they are doing is looking for replacement players for season and are signing, updating their files and releasing them since they smaller cap and no preseason games to evaluate them in.  Neither Justin Zimmer nor Tanzel Smart will be on 53/55 roster.  Smart certainly has PS eligibility with new rules.

You’re smarter than you look Lime Man.  Just kidding, and I like that opinion.  Shrewd my green friend.

A move to hedge on D line stability and Harry’s Knee. If SMs & BBs preferences pan out there is a good chance neither make the roster. Being that I trust our guys judgment, I’ll just watch the pieces move around the board.

Go Bills!!!

I said it when it was first reported, Star will be missed big time. The ONLY stable force we've had inside for the last two years. Harry is coming off of knee surgery last year and nothing behind him. Good luck.

• Like (+1) 1

I remember Zimmer when he was a UDFA. He dominated at the DII level and had an incredible regional combine. Here's a decent BR article about him at the time he was signed in 2016.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2016/5/16/11648400/justin-zimmer-2016-nfl-draft-scouting-report-buffalo-bills-edition

I was hoping at the time he'd be our version of an undrafted Javon Hargrave but he never made it through camp. Maybe he'll find better luck under McD.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, CookieG said:

I remember Zimmer when he was a UDFA. He dominated at the DII level and had an incredible regional combine. Here's a decent BR article about him at the time he was signed in 2016.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2016/5/16/11648400/justin-zimmer-2016-nfl-draft-scouting-report-buffalo-bills-edition

I was hoping at the time he'd be our version of an undrafted Javon Hargrave but he never made it through camp. Maybe he'll find better luck under McD.

I remember being really fascinated by Zimmer, too. His college highlights were off the charts!

I didn’t realize that he had stuck around the league for this long. Time flies.