Why Not Beane as President & GM of the Bills?

LB48

@GunnerBill I think when it's clear that either the coach or GM decision was a mistake, and the power structure is such that both report to the owner(s), you definitely have the potential for what appears to be "meddling" by an owner.  Looking back at 2016, by the end of the season the Pegulas knew Rex would be gone so they acted to protect their "investment" (Tyrod) in a meaningless game.  I don't recall the specifics relating to Tyrod, though -- did that move cost him any bonus money?

1 minute ago, eball said:

Ohhhhh...you mean the W16 decision in 2016...gotcha.

Yea. I do have reason to believe the Pegulas did not like Tyrod though. When they sat him in 2017 Rob Ryan was on UK tv that week and when they got to the Bills highlights he said "I don't know what their problem is with Tyrod but the people in the organisation up there are constantly trying to get rid of him." Now Whaley was gone, the whole front office was gone.... so the "they" to me seemed like it was directed at Terry and Kim. 

1 minute ago, eball said:

@GunnerBill I think when it's clear that either the coach or GM decision was a mistake, and the power structure is such that both report to the owner(s), you definitely have the potential for what appears to be "meddling" by an owner.  Looking back at 2016, by the end of the season the Pegulas knew Rex would be gone so they acted to protect their "investment" (Tyrod) in a meaningless game.  I don't recall the specifics relating to Tyrod, though -- did that move cost him any bonus money?

There was an injury guarantee they were trying to guard against but whatever the reason it was an indirect inference in football matters. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

There was an injury guarantee they were trying to guard against but whatever the reason it was an indirect inference in football matters. 

Yep -- admittedly one that had no practical implications.

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

The Sabres didn’t just finish last one season. They have been terrible for the last decade since the Pegula’s took over...and before anyone crowns them as great Bills owners, maybe they should wait until the team wins a couple of playoff games. 

The Pegula's finally got it right (luck or skill it doesn't matter) with the Bill's front office and coaches.

It's not up to them to win games.  They put the people in roles to do that.  Kim didn't drop the pass in the endzone.

15 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The Bills extended a bad GM, hired a terrible HC, but appear to have gotten it right on their second try.

Put the Sabres and Bills good moves and bad moves in a column and it’s pretty one sided.

Big deal.  They realized their mistake and it was just a 2-year error.

And again, as e-ball said, the issue with the Sabres is that they've hired the wrong guys.  But guys that were widely lauded at the time of their hires and ended up failing at their jobs.  They've done what every fan base wants, which is spend money, money, money.  To hear some talk, it's like they're intentionally trying to sabotage the team.  And then that "thinking" spills over into their opinions on their ownership of the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Big deal.  They realized their mistake and it was just a 2-year error.

And again, as e-ball said, the issue with the Sabres is that they've hired the wrong guys.  But guys that were widely lauded at the time of their hires and ended up failing at their jobs.  They've done what every fan base wants, which is spend money, money, money.  To hear some talk, it's like they're intentionally trying to sabotage the team.  And then that "thinking" spills over into their opinions on their ownership of the Bills.

Yeah hiring the wrong guys is a BAD THING. Is this really a debate?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think since Beane and McDermott arrived the Pegulas have taken a step back. While I don't think they were making football decisions prior to that they hired McDermott - he was their choice - and they hired Rex - he was their choice also. Consequently because of the Rex - Whaley discord I think they meddled in the sense that they interfered in that relationship. Not in terms of "draft this guy" or "cut this guy" but every time they intervened it that power dynamic it indirectly affected football decisions - sitting Tyrod ultimately being the biggest. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

You think the Pegulas played a role in McD sitting Tyrod in 2017?  That's curious; I've never heard that take before.

Not hard to miss something made up.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Why not Beane for President of the United States?  

Because he has no interest in being Czar.

9 hours ago, QCity said:

I love what the Pegulas have done in the area, but Kim has no business being President of either team. That may sound harsh, but it's true.

All I know is that I'm really happy with the way things are trending. Whoever is in charge is doing a fantastic job assembling the right kind of talent and letting them do their job. I wouldn't change a thing other extending contracts like they just did with McD.

I seem to recall having read a number of articles mentioning how much Kim is well respected amongst other owners. Given this, there is really no reason to add to Beane’s plate...I have little doubt he shares his thoughts with her and she carries them to league meetings (if he’s not actually there). 

• Like (+1) 1

If it wasn't for the Pegulas, we wouldn't be talking about the Buffalo Bills right now. We'd be talking about the Toronto Bills (or Rockers, or whatever the hell Bon Jovi would've called them).

So as far as I'm concerned, I'm indebted to them for life, and they can be as involved as they want to be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Gregg, I’ll exercise sober judgment as long as I can have a beer in my hand.  Sorry, too easy and I almost never drink alcohol.  Nothing against it, I just feel like every glass of wine is another 15 minutes on the eliptical.  

I saw the bat signal......this is a drinking thread, right?

29 minutes ago, The Jerk said:

Slow Your Roll GIFs | Tenor

I’m in.

• Haha (+1) 1

Kinda get the feeling from hearing Beane y’all over the past few years that he loves the football side of the job and not so much the business side. Seems to really get charged up in running the personnel side and finding talent. Think he is in his happy place doing so! Either way I expect his extension soon and he and Coach to be here for many productive years!! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

If it wasn't for the Pegulas, we wouldn't be talking about the Buffalo Bills right now. We'd be talking about the Toronto Bills (or Rockers, or whatever the hell Bon Jovi would've called them).

So as far as I'm concerned, I'm indebted to them for life, and they can be as involved as they want to be.

I'm grateful that they stepped-up and bought the Bills and will keep it here for my lifetime.  And they have every right to do with it as they please.  But what they are doing is all anyone can ask for and it's best to keep well enough alone. 

The Sabres are another story but like I said, it's not for a lack of trying on their part.  And that's a discussion for another board.  Personally I wouldn't care if they sold the franchise and concentrated solely on the Bills.  If that means the Sabres move, so be it.  It wold be unfortunate but also one less thing for people to B word about.