Why Not Beane as President & GM of the Bills?

LB48

On 8/15/2020 at 1:55 AM, GunnerBill said:

I am still not convinced that when the rubber hits the road the final say is not McDermott's. I think they are totally aligned and rarely disagree but giving the President title to Beane may have some issues from that perspective. The only reason I might consider it is to allow me to keep Joe Schoen.... if I could make Beane President but keep him in charge of the football operation and give Schoen the GM title.... I mean it would tempt me. 

But generally I am in the not broke, don't fix it brigade. 

I came in here to say that I could see the President title ending up with McDermott in the not too distant future. But that would be a few years away still.

Great point about keeping Joe Schoen.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I came in here to say that I could see the President title ending up with McDermott in the not too distant future. But that would be a few years away still.

Great point about keeping Joe Schoen.

I think McDermott gets the final say on everything.

also, why is there a rush to just hand out extensions and job titles?  Let season play out.  Russ Brandon became president, started becoming an actor (excellent draft day performance), and started nailing everything.  Beane’s wife is happy he isn’t the president.  

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think McDermott gets the final say on everything.

also, why is there a rush to just hand out extensions and job titles?  Let season play out.  Russ Brandon became president, started becoming an actor (excellent draft day performance), and started nailing everything.  Beane’s wife is happy he isn’t the president.  

Don't quit your day job.  First, the Pegulas get the final say on everything.  Second, I guarantee they aren't "asking" McD if they are allowed to extend Beane.  McD already said he "can't imagine working with another GM" after he got his deal.  It is extremely likely that the Pegulas will tie McD's and Beane's contracts together in terms of length.  There is literally no reason not to, and now that they have locked up McD there is no logical reason to "let the season play out."  Despite your fear of things falling apart the team is actually in really great shape.

It will be surprising to me if Beane's extension isn't announced before W1.  The only thing that could impact it is if Beane has his eye on something else -- which I don't think he does.

1 hour ago, eball said:

Don't quit your day job.  First, the Pegulas get the final say on everything.  Second, I guarantee they aren't "asking" McD if they are allowed to extend Beane.  McD already said he "can't imagine working with another GM" after he got his deal.  It is extremely likely that the Pegulas will tie McD's and Beane's contracts together in terms of length.  There is literally no reason not to, and now that they have locked up McD there is no logical reason to "let the season play out."  Despite your fear of things falling apart the team is actually in really great shape.

It will be surprising to me if Beane's extension isn't announced before W1.  The only thing that could impact it is if Beane has his eye on something else -- which I don't think he does.

JMHO, but if I owned the team, I'd wait to see Beane get the Tre deal done, and then extend him. It would reward him for the work he's done, and also set him up to confidently work the Allen and Edmunds extensions.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

JMHO, but if I owned the team, I'd wait to see Beane get the Tre deal done, and then extend him. It would reward him for the work he's done, and also set him up to confidently work the Allen and Edmunds extensions.

Interesting angle.  Not how I'd look at it, but interesting.

On 8/15/2020 at 1:45 AM, Thurman#1 said:

Precisely.

Last thing you want to do is give him non-football work to interfere with his team-building duties.

Totally agree.  Maybe down the road, but, let him focus on what he has been focussed on. He is doing great, let him master his job first!