Another Bills reporter trying to make himself the story

5 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

In trying to connect the dots, if his faith is real (and from what I know, it is), I would think his conversations were faith-based and he asked for forgiveness.  I don’t think he is looking for a free pass.  I’m sure his text being exposed made him self evaluate the consistency of his beliefs.  No wonder that so many are self censoring when a guy talks about his faith, he gets hammered.  Yes, we wouldn’t be talking about this with your suggested response.  

Doesn't context matter with regard to talking about faith? 

Do you really think guys get hammered just for talking about their faith?  That's not what I see at all.  I think it's widely respected, with a few who disparage (but there are always a few who disparage anything)

Just now, Teddy KGB said:

My .02 cents. 
image.thumb.jpeg.827b822b0269717281abfe5c322fe822.jpeg

Yet you wandered over here, hit the reply button, and dug out a meme to post.

There are more persuasive ways to demonstrate lack of caring.

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I know you’re fielding multiple inquiries so I’ll bow out with this.

I’m not here to debate the relative merit of his views on religion, only to try and understand how him sharing his deeply held beliefs ultimately became unacceptable to someone else and their deeply held personal beliefs, and why it even matters as it relates to a “cop out”.  

He answered the way he wanted to answer.  He hurt no one, offered no controversial take on the world (except, I suppose, for those who aren’t fans of Bible beaters), and quite likely will be even less forthcoming in the future.  

I think saying God before people IS a controversial take when being asked to comment on issues that relate to real people here on earth. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I gave the “spend 5 minutes chatting media presence with his agent” answer. It was a total punt and you equate it to solving world peace? He’s the one that said he wants to be part of the answer and months later said he had been studying up on it.

Let's look at his actual response when asked about the text yesterday:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29615286/jake-fromm-looks-make-amends-elite-white-people-text

Fromm called the text a product of his "lack of perspective, being naive and being young and immature." He said jokes or comments like that were not an occurrence from him growing up and "were never said" in his household.

"I made a mistake and I'm going to own up to it, but that's not indicative of who I am," Fromm said, "and I promise you that is not where my heart is at."

"I think the biggest thing is just seeing the world through a different lens," Fromm said. "I grew up kind of seeing it just one way, and seeing the world from a slightly different way has helped me kind of see the background of what's troubling people. I can say that I'm starting to see it, I'm learning, and I'm getting better, and I'm willing to help and be there for whatever situation is needed.

"My plan here in this organization is to earn everything here, earn the trust of my teammates, treat people with respect and ultimately perform well on the field. Out of this building, that's educating myself, staying really close to my friends that are on the other side, having those conversations and really helping out however I can.

"Being available, I think, is one of the most important things that I can do and be willing to help in whatever situation that's thrown my way."

Is that good enough for you? Does that sound like someone that was unprepared for the question?

This latest "controversy" arose because after all of the answers he gave, MLJ then asked him what he thought in general about social inequality in the country, and Fromm committed the cardinal sin of not saying the exact right thing to make everybody happy.

How much further should we take this? Should he write an essay? I mean really, if what he said isn't good enough then what is? How else should he made amends for a somewhat tasteless joke made in private to a friend?

Edited by HappyDays

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

honestly, I think this would’ve been a 4 and a half page thread and on page 2 already if not for the “how dare you attack his religion” sentiment early on. I don’t think anyone’s passionately against Fromm so much as baffled by those defending as if he’s facing heavy attack.

Exactly this. 

• Like (+1) 1

By the way, MLJ has gotten exactly what he wanted. He tweeted out exactly one out of context statement from Fromm's responses and used it to build a controversy which means people are clicking on his article. Even though reading all of his responses together it is clear that Fromm was ready to answer questions about it and is not deflecting responsibility. Personally I think him having to go through this whole song and dance apology tour is stupid, but he's doing it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

There was a slam dunk follow up there. “Jake, what people need to love god first and people second? Are you saying that loving people first is bad?”

That slam dunk question has a slam dunk answer. "Loving people first is not bad. It's just not what I'm asked to do as a follower of Christ."

Those who follow Christ understand that. How many times have you see Jim Kelly...or hell, a lot of players...post comments like "Faith. Family. Friends. In that order."?

Those who don't follow Christ may not understand that concept, but are willing to accept that. Those who think followers of Christ are batschittcrazy will neither understand nor accept that as an answer, and will often will go out of their way to condone that answer all day, every day, calling them "Jesus Freaks," etc.

If you're one of those people, no scriptural answer will every satisfy you.

I thought Jake did the right thing by dodging the question.

His main responsibility right now is too keep his mouth shut and avoid any additional bad press to the team.

I'm sure he was counseled by his coaches and members of the front office to keep his mouth shut.  Otherwise he may not be a Bill for much longer.

Give the kid credit.  The reporter laid a trap for him and he avoided it.

Maybe that is the most important lesson learned for him.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah, I don't expect Fromm to say all that. He's a 22 year old jock from Georgia. I think it is crazy to expect him to have a perfect answer on what he thinks about racial tension in America. And I don't think he should have to study up on it because he made an insensitive joke in a private conversation. He has answered for the text. He doesn't have to also solve world peace.

I agree on all these points.  However, since he just spent the previous part of the interview talking about broadening his view with discussions etc in response to the text, it would be chill if he said something showing how the discussions he said he had impacted him personally. 

Doesn't have to sound erudite.  Doesn't have to solve world peace.  Just acknowledge that he's learned some stuff about how stuff based on skin color is still going down today and that's not OK.

7 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I don't think so.

Agree.  As evidence: Brees thread.

11 minutes ago, Beast said:

Unless you bow down and worship at the altar of BLM your views are now considered racists at most, and unacceptable at least, by the mob.

Can you accept that there's actually a lot of space between "bow down and worship at the altar of BLM" (whatever that means) and acknowledging that racism still exists today and can affect people and their families personally and directly?

I mean, this kind of stuff.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-torrence-california-couple-arrested-hate-crime-vandalism-video-20200801-35os2p6f7nhahc7wzgs3rtxo2y-story.html

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think saying God before people IS a controversial take when being asked to comment on issues that relate to real people here on earth. 

I can understand this and even agree with it. The teachings of Jesus the Christ have been seen as radical and outrageous by many ever since they were said. Turn the other cheek, love and pray for your enemies, too many to write and not to derail the thread. The point that God should be placed first in priority above even family IS a radical thought. But in doing so the love to others flows even more abundantly and without bias or hindrance Because of that first love to God. Its hard to explain and it requires faith. Jake Fromm I really hope in the future will elaborate further on his growth and maturity and beliefs beyond his faith in God. He and others that have the platform of NFL notoriety can inform many and also inspire many also.   

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can you accept that there's actually a lot of space between "bow down and worship at the altar of BLM" (whatever that means) and acknowledging that racism still exists today and can affect people and their families personally and directly?

I mean, this kind of stuff.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-torrence-california-couple-arrested-hate-crime-vandalism-video-20200801-35os2p6f7nhahc7wzgs3rtxo2y-story.html

Whatever that means? I didn't type that in a foreign language.

And you couldn't pay me to click on the Daily News.

Edited by Beast

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

honestly, I think this would’ve been a 4 and a half page thread and on page 2 already if not for the “how dare you attack his religion” sentiment early on. I don’t think anyone’s passionately against Fromm so much as baffled by those defending as if he’s facing heavy attack.

I gave the “spend 5 minutes chatting media presence with his agent” answer. It was a total punt and you equate it to solving world peace? He’s the one that said he wants to be part of the answer and months later said he had been studying up on it.

The flip side of “how dare you attack his religion” is “how dare he shove his religion in my face”.  It’s always been a contentious issue, always will be.  I tend to default to the middle—really, who cares what either of them think?  There is nothing all outrageous about what either of them think, and honestly we don’t know what really in their heart either way. Besides, how much can one glean from a young guy who gets shots to the head on one side, and a guy who writes about the shots on the other?

As for the pages written, I’m as guilty as anyone else. I was interested, opined and off I go.  In my defense, this may be what middle age looks like when you have some time to kill. 

1 hour ago, Muppy said:

I can understand this and even agree with it. The teachings of Jesus the Christ have been seen as radical and outrageous by many ever since they were said. Turn the other cheek, love and pray for your enemies, too many to write and not to derail the thread. The point that God should be placed first in priority above even family IS a radical thought. But in doing so the love to others flows even more abundantly and without bias or hindrance Because of that first love to God. Its hard to explain and it requires faith. Jake Fromm I really hope in the future will elaborate further on his growth and maturity and beliefs beyond his faith in God. He and others that have the platform of NFL notoriety can inform many and also inspire many also.   

I struggle how people can believe in the teachings of Jesus and support Donald Trump.  I struggle how people of Jesus are against social reform.  That’s the hypocrisy of religion that bothers people.  

1 hour ago, PBLESS said:

In today's world the media decides what it is allowable to say or think, if what you say in public doesn't match their view of correctness, you will be castigated.

Or just don’t say dumb ?.  

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Unless you bow down and worship at the altar of BLM your views are now considered racists at most, and unacceptable at least, by the mob.

Great point.  Hey Jake don’t say terms like elite whites = Bowing to the altar of blm

i never used how people could watch a sport where 70% of the players are black and yet not care about them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That’s no less controversial imo, but probably only to people who don’t see it as you do, and maybe a guy like me who thinks it’s unreasonable to judge someone else by your standards. 

I truly don’t know why you would care to think it controversial, but the point is—Fromm disagrees with you., and Fromm answered.  For those that truly honor God, that’s the hierarchy.  By the way, I couldn’t tell you scripture from Scrabble, and I think it’s splitting hairs one way or the other.