Another Bills reporter trying to make himself the story

59 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Why is it the wrong thread? Everything else but the kitchen sink has been in here?

I guess so, but not everything.  I've seen nothing about Fromm's opinion of making Covid masks from equine noggins.

55 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

i agree with all of this to a certain extent. MLJ would have served himself better if he would have explained why he thought Fromm’s answer was unacceptable instead of just stating it as if it was self-evident. (MLJ did elaborate a bit later on in a response to Jason Whitlock on twitter, fwiw.) But again, part of the reason athletes get away with non-answers like Fromm’s ALL THE TIME is because reporters do not press these guys ever for fear of public rebuke, lost access, or whatever else and MLJ seems guilty of that today.

as to the leaker and her motivations, I don’t know them for certain, but I doubt they were noble.

How about reporters press quarterbacks about football and politicians about politics?  Would that make more sense?

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

How about reporters press quarterbacks about football and politicians about politics?  Would that make more sense?

that would be ideal, yes. But for better or worse, Fromm’s entry into the league was coupled with this texting story, and currently reporters see it as the most popular interesting thing about him; certainly more interesting than his prospects as a possible third string QB on a team with an entrenched starter. 

honestly, I don’t see the point in talking to him at all. 

15 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

that would be ideal, yes. But for better or worse, Fromm’s entry into the league was coupled with this texting story, and currently reporters see it as the most popular interesting thing about him; certainly more interesting than his prospects as a possible third string QB on a team with an entrenched starter. 

Agreed.  Time 100x better spent with Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I guess so, but not everything.  I've seen nothing about Fromm's opinion of making Covid masks from equine noggins.

It would be nice, but reporters from all genres are basically political activists and not "real" journalists.

5 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Just as I would tell you not to expect everyone else to see it as a cop out.

People see what they want to see. The kid made a joke that got away from him. It's not a reason to cut him, and it's CERTAINLY not a reason for a dime-a-dozen sports reporter to stand in judgement of him for all his readers.

I think the way he dealt with the question is separate to the joke. It isn't a reason to cut him. Absolutely agree. But the scrutiny from the media? That comes with the job and Jake will have to do a better job of deal with it. 

5 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

1.  This is an American board so kindly keep the u out of favors.

2.  You and others may view it as a deflection.  A different group may not.  Can't a person love God and people?  That is what Fromm said he is trying to do.  Is that a bad approach?  Can't someone who doesn't believe think, "well at least he loves people too"?  You or I might view his approach as ill conceived.  That's fine.  Pronouncing it as "unacceptable" in a written statement, not framed as opinion, is wrong.  

So I haven't called it unacceptable.... but when you are talking about perception you have to understand that Jake's perception as a middle class white kid is likely to be different to the perceptions and experiences of a guy who is one of the still relatively few black reporters who made it to the top of sports journalism covering football. So we really do all come at it with our own perceptions. Not just Jake, or me, or people on this board.... but Marcel too. 

2 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I’ve seen this posted a few times here.  

Would you be willing to share what you mean by this?   What, exactly is he copping out from?  Did he not want to share his stories of  personal growth because it was just that-intensely personal and private?  Or, are you of the mind he experienced no personal growth at all, and thus had nothing to share and chose not to be honest?  

I suppose I’m struck by the fact that a young man who nearly decapitated his career before it began would ever speak to any reporter, ever.  There is very little upside for him.  

I have explained it numerous times but to me starting his answer with it would be better if everyone loved God first and people second says "well how I deal with people and society problems doesn't matter that much anyway cos God is more important and I am religious so my faith gets me off the hook." 

Now a number have posters of faith have attempted to explain to me that to Jake that may not have been what he really meant based on his understanding of the bible. But it isn't my job or the job of anyone else digesting these comments on the other end to interpret his faith and what he really meant. The duty is on Jake to explain it and just saying "well God is first" is a cop out. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, njbuff said:

It would be nice, but reporters from all genres are basically political activists and not "real" journalists.

Reminds me of one D A who used to be on ESPN and then joined msnbc , 

21 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Sorry, but he has no such duty. His duty is to prepare to play football.

I agree. And I have no problem with him not wanting to get into politics. Said that numerous times in this thread. But if he wants to throw his faith up as a shield without explaining it then he has to accept the criticism that comes with that too. If he wants people to accept that as an answer then he needs to explain what it means.

Stupid text messages from a kid in his early twenties. I know no one else has ever said anything they regret in their early twenties. Fromm should be ashamed. 

I mean how can we not cut him? The guy in his early 30s who made Anti-Semitic comments was ousted right away...oh wait. 

1 hour ago, Gene1973 said:

Now that is definitely a cop out. His job requires media interaction, just like all players. Jake is in the adult world now and is having a bit of trouble with it, not uncommon with youngsters, and he is finding out that weak statements get scrutiny, he may learn, he may not. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Now that is definitely a cop out. His job requires media interaction, just like all players. Jake is in the adult world now and is having a bit of trouble with it, not uncommon with youngsters, and he is finding out that weak statements get scrutiny, he may learn, he may not. 

Go Bills!!!

So he should have just said “i’m just here so i dont get fined, boss”?

His job requires media interaction. It doesnt require that he bare his soul. Some seem to want a public tar and feathering of a kid that said something inappropriate in a private text message while he was in college. Its silly.

2 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

he has plenty of obligations and things he’d be accountable to each and every day. You only care about one. 

18 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

His job requires media interaction. It doesnt require that he bare his soul. Some seem to want a public tar and feathering of a kid that said something inappropriate in a private text message while he was in college. Its silly.

Is this tar and feathering happening on top of the mountain that doc claims this is? Some of y’all are drama queens.

25 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

No one is asking him to bare his soul. Jake is unfortunate to be in his current circumstance, but at the end of the day it was he who supplied the fuel for the fire as it were, ya see, when this happened to Josh, he owned it, and grew from it, and it is behind him.  Jake is playing the deflection game, and by doing so he is just prolonging his troubles with this situation. The boy needs to own what he said, and only then can he move on. 

Go Bills!!!

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

he has plenty of obligations and things he’d be accountable to each and every day. You only care about one. 

Is this tar and feathering happening on top of the mountain that doc claims this is? Some of y’all are drama queens.

There’s one thing we agree on, it seems. Some of y’all are indeed drama queens. He was a dude in college.  He texted something to someone inappropriate. He expressed regret over texting what he did. Get over it.

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

No one is asking him to bare his soul. Jake is unfortunate to be in his current circumstance, but at the end of the day it was he who supplied the fuel for the fire as it were, ya see, when this happened to Josh, he owned it, and grew from it, and it is behind him.  Jake is playing the deflection game, and by doing so he is just prolonging his troubles with this situation. The boy needs to own what he said, and only then can he move on. 

Go Bills!!!

Didn’t he own it when it came out? But now the reporter wants to drag it back up and make sure that he keeps owning it?  When can he move on? Its his teammates that he is accountable to. Not you, or me, or Marcel Louis Jacques. Its all just silly.

9 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

I agree with that last.  Fair time why don’t they put Webb out to interview?  Oh that’s right no one wants to talk to the practice squad guy.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have explained it numerous times but to me starting his answer with it would be better if everyone loved God first and people second says "well how I deal with people and society problems doesn't matter that much anyway cos God is more important and I am religious so my faith gets me off the hook." 

Now a number have posters of faith have attempted to explain to me that to Jake that may not have been what he really meant based on his understanding of the bible. But it isn't my job or the job of anyone else digesting these comments on the other end to interpret his faith and what he really meant. The duty is on Jake to explain it and just saying "well God is first" is a cop out. 

I know you’re fielding multiple inquiries so I’ll bow out with this.

I’m not here to debate the relative merit of his views on religion, only to try and understand how him sharing his deeply held beliefs ultimately became unacceptable to someone else and their deeply held personal beliefs, and why it even matters as it relates to a “cop out”.  

He answered the way he wanted to answer.  He hurt no one, offered no controversial take on the world (except, I suppose, for those who aren’t fans of Bible beaters), and quite likely will be even less forthcoming in the future.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

My recollection was that Fromm implied nobody should have guns...then joked....well maybe elite white people.  I took that to mean most whites would also be excluded.  Elite is definitely a qualifying word.

Not guns, suppressors.

15 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah, Fromm wasn’t talking about guns: he was talking about suppressors, a.k.a. silencers. In a private text to a girl he was probably trying to impress with a bed, miss placed joke.  Somehow that got interpreted to mean that he was talking about black people.  And anyone wonders why he doesn’t want to answer the question?

Spellcheck issue I’m sure, but I cracked up because as written it may just have a lot to do with the whole text interaction and motivations to leak it ?