Matt Milano: “I’m not focused on a contract. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else”

Same thing is said by every pending fee agent and then they moslty chase the highest dollar.  However there are many that take a few less dollars for the right fit - coaching staff, scheme, city. 

I'm not a hater of Milano I just think he is overrated by this fan base and board.  Someone on here called him rangy. Well that's not true at all. He doesn't play man coverage often and he doesn't cover that well. His greatest asset is quickness in small spaces and instinct.  To that end he is the exact opposite of Edmunds. 

He is a good player that has played well enough to earn a big pay day. If they cut Star and Murphy and draft DE in the first round then I'd be fine keeping him.  He would be a good player to tag assuming they extend Dawkins and White. Control him for another year and don't commit long term. That frees up more money down the road and gives them two drafts to find his replacement. Otherwise let him walk and get a 3rd round comp pick to replace him.

For the record, I'd keep only one between Dawkins and Milano. Not drafting an OT this year means I pay to keep Dawkins even though he is just average. That means a tag for one year or letting Milano walk.

Edited by Ethan in Portland
  • Like (+1) 1

This is good news. Because if there is one guy who likely will need to take a hometown discount to be back.... especially with the cap contraction in 2021.... it is Milano. 

11 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Milano's "bottom line asking price" does not need to be reasonable. What he and his agent ultimately ask needs to fit within the salary structure that the Bills perceive for both the position and the team. Milano will get paid handsomely, if he stays healthy, and the Spain situation is not a good comp. Spain is a borderline starter/backup while Milano is a key cog in Frazier and McDermott's defense as well as a team leader. Don't expect a 'hometown discount'. The Bills will pay him what he's worth or another team will, plain and simple.

Spain is a borderline starter? The guy who gave up zero sacks? Yea. That is wrong. Spain is a really good player and last season wasn't even him at his best. At his best in Tennessee he was a beast. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, SCBills said:

Milano is a good LB in any scheme, but he’s a beast in ours.  As an undersized, speed LB, I think he knows that - hopefully that helps with negotiations.  

Definitely want him back.  He’s had a few games where he was the best defender on the field. 

HIs time as a safety in college gives him coverage instincts that other lb's don't have.  I think he has big play/ints in his future as those instincts pay off.

Why can't they all have this mindset? Of course we will see how much he really wants to be here when the time comes I guess. Good to hear though. 

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

That's good news.  We can just sign him to the vet minimum every year.

We can throw in a one year membership to the jelly of the month club too.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Same thing is said by every pending fee agent and then they moslty chase the highest dollar.  However there are many that take a few less dollars for the right fit - coaching staff, scheme, city. 

I'm not a hater of Milano I just think he is overrated by this fan base and board.  Someone on here called him rangy. Well that's not true at all. He doesn't play man coverage often and he doesn't cover that well. His greatest asset is quickness in small spaces and instinct.  To that end he is the exact opposite of Edmunds. 

He is a good player that has played well enough to earn a big pay day. If they cut Star and Murphy and draft DE in the first round then I'd be fine keeping him.  He would be a good player to tag assuming they extend Dawkins and White. Control him for another year and don't commit long term. That frees up more money down the road and gives them two drafts to find his replacement. Otherwise let him walk and get a 3rd round comp pick to replace him.

For the record, I'd keep only one between Dawkins and Milano. Not drafting an OT this year means I pay to keep Dawkins even though he is just average. That means a tag for one year or letting Milano walk.

We can re-up everyone.. Allen, White, Diggs, Dawkins, Edmunds, Milano etc.. when the time comes, but it will take hitting on Defensive Line via the Draft and mixing in some low cost vets.   Hughes, Addison, Star, Murphy, Butler and Jefferson all come off the books in the next 2 years. That leaves Oliver, Harry, AJ and (potentially) Darryl Johnson if he progresses.   

If we’re going to have some high priced defensive players and protect Allen, while providing him weapons -  I’d suspect the areas where Beane and McDermott will go with low cost draft picks and scheme fit mid-level vets is the DL and RB. 

12 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

This is exactly right on imo. 

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I dont even think he has great instincts. He constantly attacks the wrong gap in run defense, opening those wide open holes opposing teams ran through last year.

Contract should be cheap then. Everyone has the same film eh

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I dont even think he has great instincts. He constantly attacks the wrong gap in run defense, opening those wide open holes opposing teams ran through last year.

If that was the case, he wouldn’t have been on the field nearly 100% of the snaps.  McDermott isn’t a guy to shy away taking a player off the field of he’s that much of a liability.

33 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

We didn't really have much behind him. 

That doesn’t mean you keep a huge liability on the field that often.  If he’s that bad, he’s easily replaced and not only that, we would have signed his replacement this past offseason....or drafted him.

We signed 6 players on defense and none of them are taking Milanos place.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If that was the case, he wouldn’t have been on the field nearly 100% of the snaps.  McDermott isn’t a guy to shy away taking a player off the field of he’s that much of a liability.

86% of defensive snaps last year, Edmunds 95%

53 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If Milano was that much of a liability, he would be out there anywhere near 86%.  

He also I believe missed the 2nd half of the Titans game and didn’t play much at all in the season finale.

He’s not a liability at all, he’s just replaceable and not someone to whom you should allocate significant cap space.