Pats now need to replace top 4 LBs from 2019 plus starting RT (now up to 8 opt outs)

On 7/28/2020 at 8:01 AM, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

oh Boy.

Buffalo is that sort of town who has fans that will be triggered more by victory with no national respect than by losing.

For all the people essentially giving him a thumbs down for this, I literally just responded to someone in another thread who actually said he'd rather have no football at all this year rather than have the Bills win a Super Bowl in a season that "didn't count" to outsiders.

3 hours ago, nrenegar said:

The patriots are doing something fundamentally different in their approach. Let me support that with some statistics.

Right now there are 25 players opting out, 6 on the pats (source: https://www.nfl.com/news/list-of-nfl-players-to-opt-out-of-2020-season). If all players opt out with equal probability, there is a 1/32 chance each is on the pats. The total number of players on the pats opting out would be binomially distributed, with 25 coin flips, and success with probability 1/32 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_distribution). The probability of 6 or more successes (i.e., players opting out) is p<1*10e-4 (https://stattrek.com/online-calculator/binomial.aspx). Therefore having this many opt-outs on the pats randomly occurring would happen 1 in 10,000 times.

Also come on, it's the pats.

And there's a bucket of unknown variables that could throw off your math, plus it's a small sample size.  Other players could just be waiting for whatever reason to announce they are sitting out, with the Pats players jumping the gun.

I'm betting on they are just tired of Belichick's crap.

5 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

And there's a bucket of unknown variables that could throw off your math, plus it's a small sample size.  Other players could just be waiting for whatever reason to announce they are sitting out, with the Pats players jumping the gun.

I'll get out over my skis here and suggest that a disproportionate percentage of NFL players are from the States that are just entering the worst of COVID right now, so these guys have family and friends in the middle of it, and might be legitimately concerned about getting sick and/or bringing the 'vid back to gramma in Alabama.  I'm in USNY like a lot of you, and we're certainly past the peak now, and certainly over the shock of it.  I can tell you, i have family in the deep south and they spent a lot of time mocking New York over this, not so much now

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

Fair point. The math just shows it’s improbable that the high density of patriots players opting out is totally random (assuming players make decisions independently of each other).

A player revolt against Belichick is another plausible explanation.

On 7/29/2020 at 1:07 PM, GreggTX said:

It may well get to the point that so many players opt out that it will end up looking like watching scabs during a players strike. We are now entering a 2nd and bigger wave of the pandemic when other nations have already shown how to fix the problem. If we don't start making smarter choices in Washington DC, this could drag on for a much longer time.

Get Trump to resign replacing him with the Hoodie.

21 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Possible they think due to his age he is likely to get COVID-19 and not be able to coach following year.

On 7/29/2020 at 1:11 PM, machine gun kelly said:

H E Double Hockey Sticks?  That was right out of Happy Days, and loved it.  I agree on the BB never would tank a season.  It’s a conspiracy theory thing.

Lol. I remember Happy Days a bit but it's a bit before my time. Was born in 89. I heard the reference before,  never knew it came from that show. 

Ya I think it's Pats fans trying to feel better about themselves lol. Claiming they have a master plan to get Lawrence.  Give me a break!

On that thought. What ifbtheif is no season, how would the 21 draft work as far as the order??? ?Not fair to use records from this past year. 

Let's hope that we have a season and don't  need to figure that out.

On 7/28/2020 at 4:30 PM, OZBILLS said:

I have no confidence in a full season. Not without a bubble. Even then it's unfeasible 

Agreed this will have some cancelled games no matter what. So it all comes down to which ones. All I know is I want KC. I want them to lose to us...bad. 

We all understand Star opting out but are frustrated by the contract tolling and salary cap impact on the future.  

I have to imagine with 7 players doing so for New England, 3 of them being starters, that New England’s future cap has to be looking all jacked up, no?

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

We all understand Star opting out but are frustrated by the contract tolling and salary cap impact on the future.  

I have to imagine with 7 players doing so for New England, 3 of them being starters, that New England’s future cap has to be looking all jacked up, no?

This actually helps their cap space this year with not having to pay these players this year

Plus money they got back for settling w AB and Aaron Hernandez estate and next year their cap was going to look much better regardless...

Hightower was a lost. Chung to a degree all these other players were not a factor like that. Even Cannon since BB has used plug and play lineman before and still got results. 

Edited by Ghost_002!

26 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

This actually helps their cap space this year with not having to pay these players this year

Plus money they got back for settling w AB and Aaron Hernandez estate and next year their cap was going to look much better regardless...

Hightower was a lost. Chung to a degree all these other players were not a factor like that. Even Cannon since BB has used plug and play lineman before and still got results. 

Having Brady at QB and arguably the best OL coach in football got those linemen to perform and they are both gone this year.

BB went to the players and asked them to opt if they wanted to early. Since the cab is not signed there is not opt out date yet.

Many players are just waiting to see what is going to happen. I think BB made a good decision to get the players that wanted to opt out to announce early so no time was wasted in the so called training period.

8 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Having Brady at QB and arguably the best OL coach in football got those linemen to perform and they are both gone this year.

They went 11-5 

Then 3-1 without brady

Their last SB was won on defense. Brady and the offense was nonexistent 

Plus they have won a couple SBs without Dante Scarnecchia(their former oline coach) before.

Edited by Ghost_002!

3 hours ago, dogbyte said:

BB went to the players and asked them to opt if they wanted to early. Since the cab is not signed there is not opt out date yet.

Many players are just waiting to see what is going to happen. I think BB made a good decision to get the players that wanted to opt out to announce early so no time was wasted in the so called training period.

Welcome. WEO needs a flunky.