Pats now need to replace top 4 LBs from 2019 plus starting RT (now up to 8 opt outs)

10 hours ago, Ghost_002! said:

They went 11-5 

Then 3-1 without brady

Their last SB was won on defense. Brady and the offense was nonexistent 

Plus they have won a couple SBs without Dante Scarnecchia(their former oline coach) before.

Those days are over.  And the Cheaters won all their SBs with Scarnecchia and Brady.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I may not like the guy, but Belicheck is up there with Lombardi, Parcells, Paul Brown, etc. as the best coaches in NFL history.  I know all the downsides on cheating and so on, but he is a winner all the way back to DC role for the Giants.  Having said that, losing 7 players, and an amazing offensive line coach, plus the defensive players that left in free agency  (3 of them), it is very difficult to imagine they will have a strong team.  I just hope they win enough to not get close to Trevor Lawrence next year.  That would be a nightmare.

I don’t think they will be that bad to get close to #1, and I don’t see many teams wanting to trade out of their #1 spot for the Pats.  I don’t see the Bengals having that good of a year even with Burrow as the rest of the team is just bad.  It’s also hard to see the Lions and Jags having good teams.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

My bad.  They won 1 without him.

The era is over.  Belicheat will be out of the door soon as well.

Yea they won the Seattle Superbowl during his first retirement. They have better talent on the line now than they did then too, albeit Cannon opting out hurts. Still the oline should be a strength of that team. The problem is other than that and the secondary every other unit looks like a weakness.

12 hours ago, Ghost_002! said:

They went 11-5 

Then 3-1 without brady

Their last SB was won on defense. Brady and the offense was nonexistent 

Plus they have won a couple SBs without Dante Scarnecchia(their former oline coach) before.

You seem to be a fan of BB so I'll leave you to it.  Enjoy the season if we have one.

Those who are skeptical of the Pats continuing their decades long standard of winning the division and contending for a SB are not looking at each of these things in a vacuum and saying “they won a SB without scarnecchia, they can do it again “ they went 11-5 without Brady, they can do it again” “they have won without great WRs, they can do it again” “they win with defensive scheme, not players, so losing all these guys is fine”... they are looking at it as the drip - drip - drip effect of all of these things at the same time. They have not made the playoffs without Brady. They are losing 7 players from an already thin roster. Especially this season, depth and familiarity are going to be critical and they do not have it. My PTSD (Patriots Traumatic Stress Disorder) keeps me from betting against Belichick. But I definitely see why people do not think they will just continue along as they have, as there is a big confluence of factors that point the other way. I tend to think the biggest issue is the loss of defensive starters. Their front 7 is very unimpressive on paper. I think teams could put up some points especially if cam can’t sustain drives. Imo. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Pats, IMO, look to be good enough to not be that good, but also not be that bad.   Ideal scenario would be them drafting in the teens - which based on their talent level, is where I’d envision them.  

Of course, it’s the Pats, so I say that while also thinking they’ll somehow, someway, still win a bunch of games.  

What they dont look like they’ll be, is a team drafting top 5 with a shot a Lawrence or Fields. 

Edited by SCBills

2 hours ago, Doc said:

My bad.  They won 1 without him.

The era is over.  Belicheat will be out of the door soon as well.

As if right now he still there. They are still considered a threat. Ask your GM

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

You seem to be a fan of BB so I'll leave you to it.  Enjoy the season if we have one.

Shouldn't matter. Discussing football.

8 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

As if right now he still there. They are still considered a threat. Ask your GM

Never said he wasn't still there or not a threat.  But it's coming to a close.  My bet is he steps down within the next 2 years.

Just now, Doc said:

Never said he wasn't still there or not a threat.  But it's coming to a close.  My bet is he steps down within the next 2 years.

You would lose that bet...he is not retiring no time soon. He is gunning for Shula's coaching record

34 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The Pats, IMO, look to be good enough to not be that good, but also not be that bad.   Ideal scenario would be them drafting in the teens - which based on their talent level, is where I’d envision them.  

Of course, it’s the Pats, so I say that while also thinking they’ll somehow, someway, still win a bunch of games.  

What they dont look like they’ll be, is a team drafting top 5 with a shot a Lawrence or Fields. 

I think there is a very real chance they have a shot at one of the top QBs now. I think their current talent after opt outs.... they are probably a team that will draft in the top 6 and they have ammunition to move up further. 

On 7/28/2020 at 8:05 AM, Stank_Nasty said:

I’m not a big fan of this. Just setting up that huge asterisk next to your name after we win a division title this year..... that we were gonna win anyways 

Worse they are going to tank for Lawerence.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think there is a very real chance they have a shot at one of the top QBs now. I think their current talent after opt outs.... they are probably a team that will draft in the top 6 and they have ammunition to move up further. 

Depends on whether Cam has anything left in the tank, I suppose.  I’ll believe it when I see it.  

Luckily, they’ll likely have to have the worst record in the NFL to get Trevor Lawrence.  I can’t imagine more than handful of teams would trade out of that spot, and those teams would be shocking to see picking #1. 

31 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Depends on whether Cam has anything left in the tank, I suppose.  I’ll believe it when I see it.  

Luckily, they’ll likely have to have the worst record in the NFL to get Trevor Lawrence.  I can’t imagine more than handful of teams would trade out of that spot, and those teams would be shocking to see picking #1. 

and whose going to be the one to trade it to the Patriots so they can get a new QB for the next couple decades.