Voluntary Opt outs

I believe the NFLPA negotiated for guaranteed money rollover in the case of a suspended season. I’ve seen it mentioned a few times on Twitter.

The bit where it gets tricky is when it’s that last year of a contract and a player hasn’t earned all that guaranteed money because of a suspended season. The money can’t be rolled over. Who pays that money out then? Is the NFLPA going to fork over guaranteed money that wasn’t earned?

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Well, WOW! if I had a big guarantee, no freaking way I am not opting out. Holy smokes that is some bad language in the agreement. 

you should opt out. Because if season cancels you are not getting that guarantee. That is what Feliciano is saying. Big guaranteed players are incentivized to opt out. Keeping their contracts fully in place. 

owners wanted a trigger to cancel the guaranteed money in a cancelled season. They got it. Players got the ability to opt out of the 2020 season as a concession

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

NFL Owners wanted to have the ability to cancel money this year. They got it. Now it also allows players to also game the system and make sure to protect their earning power. 

Do you know the answer to the question? Do guys who opt out still get to have their contract pushed out if the season is cancelled? 

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Do you know the answer to the question? Do guys who opt out still get to have their contract pushed out if the season is cancelled? 

Yes they do. If they opt out and season cancelled nothing hurts their contract. It just slides to the left a year. 

so let’s say Star contract expired in 2022. Now with his opt out it expires 2023 even with a cancelled season. 

Edited by MAJBobby

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Yes they do. If they opt out and season cancelled nothing hurts their contract. It just slides to the left a year. 

so let’s say Star contract expired in 2022. Now with his opt out it expires 2023

That is the end of the season. There is just no way every guy on a second or third contract doesn't opt out. It would be crazy for them not to. 

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

That is the end of the season. There is just no way every guy on a second or third contract doesn't opt out. It would be crazy for them not to. 

easy to do for guys that have been paid harder for those on the rookie deals and 1 year deals. 

That is why I have been thinking this season is going to look very much like the Strike Year. Or Preseason specially if a big name opts out. Imagine the ripple effect a Mahomes opt out would cause. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

easy to do for guys that have been paid harder for those on the rookie deals and 1 year deals. 

That is why I have been thinking this season is going to look very much like the Strike Year. Or Preseason specially if a big name opts out. Imagine the ripple effect a Mahomes opt out would cause. 

A strike season is a more apt description. I wouldn't say preseason, though, since the coaching will still be top notch. 

That was an absolutely foolish deal for the NFL to sign.  So much for "#wewanttoplay"

Hmmm... my gut reaction is that this incentivizes opting out. However, a player that does not opt out, but has the season cancelled on him, is one year closer to a new contract and without the miles of an additional NFL season.

Could that be incentive enough for, say, someone like Tre to move forward without opting out?

1 minute ago, schoolhouserock said:

Hmmm... my gut reaction is that this incentivizes opting out. However, a player that does not opt out, but has the season cancelled on him, is one year closer to a new contract and without the miles of an additional NFL season.

Could that be incentive enough for, say, someone like Tre to move forward without opting out?

that is benefit as well. Say a rookie on a 5th year option. Gets 2 games and season Cancelled. Boom a UFA with no Miles

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I bet Morse will opt out.

If the dominoes start falling and the season does happen as planned, this year will really show who the great coaches are if they have to work with a revolving door of players and replacement players.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

He should, he also has an immune compromised brother who I believe he and his wife help care for AND a new baby 

I didn't know his brother was immune compromised, thought he had severe development issues (I believe shaken baby by some bastard).  That is scary stuff.

1 minute ago, Johnnycage46 said:

If the dominoes start falling and the season does happen as planned, this year will really show who the great coaches are if they have to work with a revolving door of players and replacement players.

I didn't know his brother was immune compromised, thought he had severe development issues (I believe shaken baby by some bastard).  That is scary stuff.

I believe I read about his brother being pretty sick I will have to see the exact issue 

40 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

you should opt out. Because if season cancels you are not getting that guarantee. That is what Feliciano is saying. Big guaranteed players are incentivized to opt out. Keeping their contracts fully in place. 

owners wanted a trigger to cancel the guaranteed money in a cancelled season. They got it. Players got the ability to opt out of the 2020 season as a concession

The only concern with opting out if you are Age 25-28 - is yes it pushes your contract out, but you lose a year before becoming a potential FA again.  

Older guys with big guarantees - yep, but if I am younger - even if I lose some money this year - if it gets me to another FA signing in 2022 - I am staying in.  If I had 1 year left and was going to be a FA next year - opting out all the way because there is going to be no money next off-season.

I am really looking at my payout and contract to decide this.

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The only concern with opting out if you are Age 25-28 - is yes it pushes your contract out, but you lose a year before becoming a potential FA again.  

Older guys with big guarantees - yep, but if I am younger - even if I lose some money this year - if it gets me to another FA signing in 2022 - I am staying in.  If I had 1 year left and was going to be a FA next year - opting out all the way because there is going to be no money next off-season.

I am really looking at my payout and contract to decide this.

I think me I am a bit of a gambler.  I think I would keep my contract and not opt our to hope that I can get a year toward UFA without having to play an entire season, Specially if I was paid once and have money in the bank.