Voluntary Opt outs

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

have opted out?

BTW, i dont understand the tweet from Mongo

Guaranteed Money that is due to be paid this year gets to get wiped out with a season Cancelled. So those with big guaranteed money payouts Mango is saying they likely will OPT Out to keep all guaranteed money for 2020 rolled into 2021. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No but prime candidates based on what Feliciano said.

i am really confused

I would think if i have guaranteed money, and season starts, even 1 game, i get my guarantees.

If i opt out, i get the $150 or $350 depending, but then my contract goes tolls to next year...so i could miss a year of guarantees?

Lordy i am confused.

If he is saying if i opt out i get guarantee no matter what, but if i don't and season is cancelled...not much of a choice there. We gunna see a lot more big name opt outs

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Guaranteed Money that is due to be paid this year gets to get wiped out with a season Cancelled. So those with big guaranteed money payouts Mango is saying they likely will OPT Out to keep all guaranteed money for 2020 rolled into 2021. 

he did not say they would likely Opt out. He said some players would likely have it as a consideration. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

wiat a minute

you are saying..if player A opts out and has $10M of guaranteed money for the 20 season and 10M for the 21 season he has $20M guaranteed for 21?

And if same player does not opt out, and season gets cancelled, he does not collect the $10M for this year and it does not roll to next year?

So he is making a $10M bet the season will not get cancelled? 

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

wiat a minute

you are saying..if player A opts out and has $10M of guaranteed money for the 20 season and 10M for the 21 season he has $20M guaranteed for 21?

And if same player does not opt out, and season gets cancelled, he does not collect the $10M for this year and it does not roll to next year?

God i hope not

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

wiat a minute

The 2020 contract and its 10M guaranteed money goes into 2021. 2021 Contract into 2022. Etc etc. essentially you pause the contract. You get an accrued season for benefits reasons but not against contract. 

Edited by MAJBobby

wiat a minute

Seems like it

Whammy GIF | Gfycat

wiat a minute

I’d assume it’s that the contract pushes back differently depending on if you opt out now vs various scenarios if/when the nfl pulls the plug. 

id assume in mongos tweet much of the nuance likely couldn’t be conveyed, even assuming he fully understands all the possible options (not insulting him, just never know how deep guys have gotten in it vs an agent giving them cliff notes advice or hearing bad second hand info from a teammate)

• Like (+1) 1

The 2020 contract and its 10M guaranteed money goes into 2021. 2021 Contract into 2022. Etc etc 

i am still confused...can you lay out what happens in that scenario that a player has $10M guaranteed this year, and $10M guaranteed in 21...and what happens if he opts out, and what happens if he does not but season gets cancelled?

Thank you..i am really confused

i am still confused...can you lay out what happens in that scenario that a player has $10M guaranteed this year, and $10M guaranteed in 21...and what happens if he opts out, and what happens if he does not but season gets cancelled?

Thank you..i am really confused

'

If player opts out...any guaranteed money this year pushes to 2021 and any guaranteed money for 2021 gets pushed to 2022.

If player does not opt out and season gets canceled they get no guaranteed money for 2020.

Ok let me try it this way. 

say player A has 10M guaranteed for 2020. Now doesn’t opt out. Season Cancels buh bye 10M for 2020. 

but his 2021 contract remains. 

now if he opts out (pauses the contract) means no contract this year so 2020 becomes 2021. 2021 contract moves to 2022. 

they keep their entire contract with an opt out. In a cancelled or shortened season. Compared to not getting the full 17 game checks and such if the season is cancelled or shortened. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

say player A has 10M guaranteed for 2020. Now doesn’t opt out. Season Cancels buh bye 10M for 2020. 

now if he opts out (pauses the contract) means no contract this year so 2020 becomes 2021. 2021 contract moves to 2022. 

they keep their entire contract with an opt out. In a cancelled or shortened season. Compared to not getting the full 17 game checks and such if the season is cancelled or shortened. 

Whhhhhhoooaaaaaa.  That was a terrible idea. They are incentivizing guys opting out, especially if they try to read the tea leaves and conclude the season will be canceled.  

What if a guy opts out, but then the season is canceled. Does that result in his contract getting pushed. Or is his 2020 contract year cancelled as well? 

Also to think about with these players. Say player A set to make 17M this season. 

season Cancels after 3 weeks. Player A pockets 3M only. Loses 14M. 2021 contract goes into affect in 2021. 

same player opts out and season Cancels after 3 weeks. He still can earn the entire 17M in 2021 as the contract slides. A year. 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Well, WOW! if I had a big guarantee, no freaking way I am not opting out. Holy smokes that is some bad language in the agreement. 

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Whhhhhhoooaaaaaa.  That was a terrible idea. They are incentivizing guys opting out, especially if they try to read the tea leaves and conclude the season will be canceled.  

What if a guy opts out, but then the season is canceled. Does that result in his contract getting pushed. Or is his 2020 contract year cancelled as well? 

NFL Owners wanted to have the ability to cancel money this year. They got it. Now it also allows players to also game the system and make sure to protect their earning power. 

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

If a player Opts out his contract is Paused. Meaning in a cancelled season nothing happens to his contract. 

guy plays his 2020 portion of the contract goes away if season cancelled.