Voluntary Opt outs

1 hour ago, eball said:

That’s correct, the decision is final once made.  I just would have thought any players considering the opt-out would have already discussed this with their families/agents prior to reporting to training camp for COVID testing.  But you’re right, there are probably still some guys on the fence and as Yolo noted, perhaps the paperwork being filed is another delay.

I believe that the NFL and NFLPA are still hammering out how this works with the CBA. The deadline is either 5 or 7 days after that is finalized. So it is a moving target at the moment. 

55 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

that they may need to report before the terms of opt out are finalized seems not ideal. 

you think in a perfect world the window would be a few days prior through a few after (can avoid showing up or can come in and see protocols in action if you want)

Agreed, but we all know and CBA process takes longer than it should.

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I totally understand the drive to be great.  I played high-level football and sports my whole life

I've gotten into fights on the pickup basketball court because I'm so competitive. I don't think I struggle with competitors striving to be great

But by the time they reach that level a lot of them have lost their passion for the sport. You don't have to love something to strive to be great. That's just competitive nature

“I got in a fight playing pick up basketball. I understand what it’s like to be an elite athlete” 

-Basically you

My dad in his late 30’s got kicked out of a hockey league for getting in a fight, he also played varsity hockey, sign him up for team USA! 

• Like (+1) 1

Was just a few weeks ago, the players were unified in a “we want to play” message to the NFL.  Now, that Opt-Out parameters are in place with a stipend that still puts these athletes in the top 1%, this is all political to preserve their contract another year; hence also the reason for no preseason games.  All about job security under the guise of protecting my family.  I call B.S.

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

“I got in a fight playing pick up basketball. I understand what it’s like to be an elite athlete” 

-Basically you

My dad in his late 30’s got kicked out of a hockey league for getting in a fight, he also played varsity hockey, sign him up for team USA! 

Buf716 is not having the greatest run on this board recently...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Was just a few weeks ago, the players were unified in a “we want to play” message to the NFL.  Now, that Opt-Out parameters are in place with a stipend that still puts these athletes in the top 1%, this is all political to preserve their contract another year; hence also the reason for no preseason games.  All about job security under the guise of protecting my family.  I call B.S.

I hate to be so cynical, but if a player has no underlying health issues and/or immediate family with underlying health issues, it certainly seems as though the opt-out is all about making sure you get paid regardless of how it effects your team.  Star has every right to exercise this option, but I would be shocked if he was locking himself inside his house as to avoid catching COVID.  

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I hate to be so cynical, but if a player has no underlying health issues and/or immediate family with underlying health issues, it certainly seems as though the opt-out is all about making sure you get paid regardless of how it effects your team.  Star has every right to exercise this option, but I would be shocked if he was locking himself inside his house as to avoid catching COVID.  

The first story/picture of an opt-out player hanging out on a crowded beach or playing basketball with friends is going to be fun.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I am still confused on the details..but if a player is putting at risk big money on whether the season will or will not occur,  and he gets screwed if the season gets cancelled after a game or two...i would absolutely opt out if i was that player.

Again, i don't fully understand these rules, so i could just be blowing smoke too

14 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I am still confused on the details..but if a player is putting at risk big money on whether the season will or will not occur,  and he gets screwed if the season gets cancelled after a game or two...i would absolutely opt out if i was that player.

Again, i don't fully understand these rules, so i could just be blowing smoke too

My understanding is guaranteed money is lost if the season is canceled.  Star was scheduled to make $4.5 M guaranteed money this season.  

15 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

My understanding is guaranteed money is lost if the season is canceled.  Star was scheduled to make $4.5 M guaranteed money this season.  

yea, i mean that a lot of cash to bet on a season be played

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

-Basically you

I guess it’s still better than, I watch a lot of espn, therefore I understand what it’s like to be an elite athlete. ?‍♂️ 

pro games also being so scripted and rehearsed, it takes the fun of freelance streetball out of it. I think it was farve that made a comment about trying to find ways to make the game fun. 

33 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Oh, I get it... He's just not a guy i'd want to ride with, especially when (so far) nobody else on our team has opted out....but I completely understand Star's point a view.

12 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I guess it’s still better than, I watch a lot of espn, therefore I understand what it’s like to be an elite athlete. ?‍♂️ 

pro games also being so scripted and rehearsed, it takes the fun of freelance streetball out of it. I think it was farve that made a comment about trying to find ways to make the game fun. 

Unsure if you’re first sentence is about me, but if you read my post above, I commented on what the shift is among elite/pro athletes. Specifically from my time living at the Olympic Training Center. 

To your second point. I agree, a coach needs to be able to integrate fun into the program. Loosen the reigns a bit and get back to the basics. Short term you may not see the effects on the athlete or team, but long term it does a whole lot.

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I totally understand the drive to be great.  I played high-level football and sports my whole life

I've gotten into fights on the pickup basketball court because I'm so competitive. I don't think I struggle with competitors striving to be great

But by the time they reach that level a lot of them have lost their passion for the sport. You don't have to love something to strive to be great. That's just competitive nature

We are the same side this time. I believe your points have merit. Take the big bucks out of the game and a lot of zeal and enthusiasm from many players would be gone. As you have pointed out and everyone typically agrees; it is a brutal game, especially at the highest level. Players walk away now, take the fat stacks away and many more will follow. I would say that many play because they have to. The skill set for football doesn’t transfer to many things and certainly none that pay as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

Unsure if you’re first sentence is about me, but if you read my post above, I commented on what the shift is among elite/pro athletes. Specifically from my time living at the Olympic Training Center. 

To your second point. I agree, a coach needs to be able to integrate fun into the program. Loosen the reigns a bit and get back to the basics. Short term you may not see the effects on the athlete or team, but long term it does a whole lot.

nope not at anyone was just first thought upon reading the other comment.

in general I do think like all occupations, some truly love what they do, some do just it for the money, some lust for power or greatness.  Sports is no different. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, eball said:

That’s correct, the decision is final once made.  I just would have thought any players considering the opt-out would have already discussed this with their families/agents prior to reporting to training camp for COVID testing.  But you’re right, there are probably still some guys on the fence and as Yolo noted, perhaps the paperwork being filed is another delay.

Just because NFLPA agreed does not mean they will not take NFL to court and try to get exceptions, changes. etc.  What they cannot get at bargaining table they try to get in court.

2 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Only those ruled for medical reasons get stipends for which every player's laywer is claiming applies to his client.

The standard one is an advance but how the NFL is going to collect from players who are opting out and were undrafted and will probably spend the money is unclear.

Hard to believe that healthy young men are afraid of this virus, opting out means 1 of 4 things to me, 1) you don’t love the game 2) you are absolutely paranoid by everything the media says 3) you knew you were getting cut so you took the money 4) Because I know there was one case, your life mission is to help others and football doesn’t fit right now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1