Trump's railing about schools reopening, so might as well talk about it

44 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Of course the op wants to sit at home and collect checks ??‍♂️

36 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

That’s exactly what this is about, and he’s hiding behind the pathetic ‘if it saves just one life’ nonsense....

Somehow all this terrible risk is fine for doctors, nurses, dentists, nursing home staff, flight crews, bus drivers, etc......but we need to trash our education system rather than expect teachers to adapt.  

Pretty ***** you guys think a teacher, specifically this one, a Bills fan brethren, wants to sit home and collect checks. You should both be ashamed. Teachers have done a fantastic job since this crap started in March and should be applauded. Absolutely pathetic statements by the both of you.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Class size is something that has mattered to me long before the pandemic, and it is an issue imo. What would you say the average dimensions of a classroom are for your school? Is every room in the school being utilized concurrently? 

I could see allowing students that are excelling across the board to continue learning from home as an option to reduce the population a bit. I think there are options. 

In the state of Florida we have an online school that is very strong, but it needs a student who has some structure and support at home. It is actually so strong that several students at my school who wanted a class we did not offer- Japanese was one- were allowed to do it online during a planned period. Also the biggest issue is regards to students social distancing is not in class but the halls and lunch, classroom I can easily handle but not the other two.

36 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I honestly feel sorry for the people who have to make the decision about sports. It’s so big for so many reasons. I know it was my whole life when I was in school, and it’s a reason many kids go to school. And parents are insane to begin with, telling a gang ho parent their kid won’t get to play, when they were planning on scholarships or just totally into sports won’t be fun. 

this....for many kids, especially the poor, sports would be the only way they can go to college

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

In the state of Florida we have an online school that is very strong, but it needs a student who has some structure and support at home. It is actually so strong that several students at my school who wanted a class we did not offer- Japanese was one- were allowed to do it online during a planned period. Also the biggest issue is regards to students social distancing is not in class but the halls and lunch, classroom I can easily handle but not the other two.

What school?

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Florida Virtual School- we liscence it to several other states to use.

I did some work with a cyber school based in Florida called Mavericks and Joe Biden's brother Frank was on their board. 

31 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

this....for many kids, especially the poor, sports would be the only way they can go to college

That is simply not true anymore- I have students who get free room and board and classes paid for due to their parents being poor at state schools. All can go to a community college cheaply and federal aid will cover them, it might be a loan but a two year degree with a specific job in mind can be financed easily. No student who is willing to work through college will be denied right now due to their parents being too poor.

Just now, 3rdnlng said:

I did some work with a cyber school based in Florida called Mavericks and Joe Biden's brother Frank was on their board. 

Our state had a bunch that came and went over the years, we allow a lot of schools to open that shut down within a few years due to not doing a good job. All of these schools though are voluntary transfers, so I do not worry about it 

2 hours ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Pretty ***** you guys think a teacher, specifically this one, a Bills fan brethren, wants to sit home and collect checks. You should both be ashamed. Teachers have done a fantastic job since this crap started in March and should be applauded. Absolutely pathetic statements by the both of you.

I know it's easy virtue points to prop up teachers, but what have they done worth mentioning?

In my area they've gotten a 3+ month paid vacation. I'm not knocking them, just wondering why you find that applause worthy.

• Like (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, Muppy said:
reposting for a friend of mine who is a Teacher
107383973_1210948462625541_4860292965979

I would agree if that was what was being asked, but it simply isn't. Their job is to educate children. Saying that they are being asked to babysit implies that they have no intention of educating, but rather just occupying the kids' time. Every industry is being challenged with how to continue operations in the safest way possible. Teachers aren't being asked to do anything about the economy other than continue their profession. The vast majority of the country is in some phase of reopening, with guidelines and plans in place to mitigate risk as much as possible. I'm not sure why schools would be any different. 

• Like (+1) 2

For the chicken littles, I'll share this bit that I saw posted elsewhere.

I wish everyone could understand the basics:

Everyone gets exposed. Most without knowing it. A tiny percent of those infected - less than one percent -will die, nearly all at risk. That’s the sad truth.
You can’t hide from it. All you can do is delay it. That’s what we’ve been doing with masks, shutdowns and social distancing.
That is fact. If you don’t understand that basic information, you can’t process the rest.
New York and New Jersey got blasted first, likely because of population density, subways, etc.
All the states that closed down and opened up are going through it.
So why did they open then? Because a vaccine is a year away and they can’t afford to hide from it that long.
EVERYONE GOES THROUGH THIS.
The great tracking numbers in New York and New Jersey (and some of the countries in Europe hit first) show we’re almost out of this.
My prediction: the rest of the country will have way lower daily deaths and cases by the end of the month. You’ll see.
We’ve had some spiking nationally the past few days, but overall our daily deaths have been trending down since mid-May. We’ll never come anywhere near the 2 to 2.6 million deaths in the US predicted by big media. We’re at one-20th of that.
If you want fear, hype, bad news, doom and gloom, look away! Turn on the “news”!  Soak it in! Stay home! Wear masks!
Please don’t try to understand that if our hardest hit (by far!) states have gone way past “flattening the curve,” that means the rest of us will, too. Soon.
We’re coming out of this! You don’t want to hear it, look away. Unfriend.
Current daily deaths in US:

FB_IMG_1594401863908.jpg

In Paris schools  chose certain students to return ,  children who's parent or both parents had to work , those without internet or proper computer. Children old enough to remote learn without supervision or who had a stay at home parent . This is in a area with covid under control. A hybrid system like this is a safer way to start. 

9 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Of course the op wants to sit at home and collect checks ??‍♂️

8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

That’s exactly what this is about, and he’s hiding behind the pathetic ‘if it saves just one life’ nonsense....

Somehow all this terrible risk is fine for doctors, nurses, dentists, nursing home staff, flight crews, bus drivers, etc......but we need to trash our education system rather than expect teachers to adapt.  

Except for the part where I literally say I want to be back in the classroom and am more than willing to do so.

Teaching through distance learning is going to take a lot more time and be a lot more difficult than in-class learning.

Even partial in-class and partial distance learning in a staggered schedule like my school is planning on doing will be a pain.

It's the difference between starting all over as a teacher vs going into my 17th year of continuing to get better at my craft. 

Getting all classroom teachers across the country to suddenly be proficient online teachers is far from ideal.

Trust me, I don't like the prospect of teaching from home, though that's not what my school is doing as of now. I will be in my classroom 5 days a week seeing 1/4th of my students in each class, meaning I will only see my students in person once every 2 weeks.

But I could see that changing in the next few weeks.

If it does and I'm teaching distance learning alone, you both seem like you're in need of better education, so I can offer you that service pro bono, just because you're fellow Bills fans. :beer:

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Except for the part where I literally say I want to be back in the classroom and am more than willing to do so.

Teaching through distance learning is going to take a lot more time and be a lot more difficult than in-class learning.

Even partial in-class and partial distance learning in a staggered schedule like my school is planning on doing will be a pain.

It's the difference between starting all over as a teacher vs going into my 17th year of continuing to get better at my craft. 

Getting all classroom teachers across the country to suddenly be proficient online teachers is far from ideal.

Trust me, I don't like the prospect of teaching from home, though that's not what my school is doing as of now. I will be in my classroom 5 days a week seeing 1/4th of my students in each class, meaning I will only see my students in person once every 2 weeks.

If it does and I'm teaching distance learning alone, you both seem like you're in need of better education, so I can offer you that service pro bono, just because you're fellow Bills fans. :beer:

Ok then Mr. Expert......what's your solution?   You've offered a lot of "it's complicated" and "what about the risks?" hedging, and quite clearly you want to argue with anyone who thinks we need to open schools next month, so that would naturally lead one to suspect that you are not in favor of opening schools.

So go ahead.....outline your plan.    I'm listening.

Edited by KD in CA

18 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I never hid being a teacher.

In fact I mention it all the time and many have already been critical of me and my profession.

And the last statement is silly. We're in the middle of a worldwide pandemic that in the US alone has infected nearly 1.5 million and killed over 135,000 people despite efforts to quarantine, wear masks, and not have large gatherings for months now.

Schools would be the canary in a coal mine.

And having all schools across the country go fully back into the classroom with 20-30 (and often more) students per classroom would likely wind up having pretty serious consequences.

And as I said in the OP and to be very clear: I want and am willing to go back into the classroom. I love and miss my job.

I just think the best anyone can clearly hope for is a mixture of in-class teaching and at home distance learning, often depending on school size.

Cmon who are you kidding - you’re paid too much and are basically viewed as a glorified babysitter according to Trump supporters.

Do your JOB!

• Haha (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Warcodered said:

alternatively it could be seen as abusive to have children gather in large numbers sitting next to each other in government buildings as a pandemic sweeps across our nation.

No, that would be a caveman anti data/science view.

Kids are much less likely to die of covid 19 than the common flu.  That’s not even up for debate.

Children in more studies than not are shown to be very low emitters of the virus comparatively to adults.   

The risks of not having children go to school is borderline barbaric.  Many low income children depend on the nourishment programs from schools.  Many low income children don’t have access to internet and will fall educationally much further behind.  It’s tough enough for many of them and to now fall more behind is cruel and has long impacting detrimental effects.   Many families, especially low income families will be affected in that they depend on having to work and this impedes their work opportunities.  Many families and parents are not equipped to properly teach their children.   Many parents are abusive alcoholics and having children home with all day increases child abuse.

Why are you guys such barbaric anti science/antidata believers who don’t care about children? 

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Magox said:

Kids are much less likely to die of covid 19 than the common flu.  That’s not even up for debate.

Children in more studies than not are shown to be very low emitters of the virus comparatively to adults.   

The risks of not having children go to school is borderline barbaric.  Many low income children depend on the nourishment programs from schools.  Many low income children don’t have access to internet and will fall educationally much further behind.  It’s tough enough for many of them and to now fall more behind is cruel and has long impacting detrimental effects.   Many families, especially low income families will be affected in that they depend on having to work and this impedes their work opportunities.  Many families and parents are not equipped to properly teach their children.   Many parents are abusive alcoholics and having children home with all day increases child abuse.

Why are you guys such barbaric anti science/data believers who don’t care about children? 

image.thumb.jpeg.6f3fac3fce2a9abf393c3841d7ef1ad6.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Magox said:

Why are you guys such barbaric anti science/antidata believers who don’t care about children? 

If Trump was pushing for remote school these idiots would have been shitting their diapers screeching

that children %$#@ing have to go to school or they will burn the schools down.

• Like (+1) 2

Kids need to be with other kids, period. Imagine any if you back in grade school and taking a year off, it would be devastating. The kids I went to school with 50-60 years ago are still my friends. Kids also learn better and faster being with their peers. Adolescent suicides are problem that will only get worse.

If we’re going to have public funding for education, and at this point we’re backwards enough that we are, I’m 100% on board with Betsy DeVos’ suggestion that Federal funding should go directly to the families of students to pursue alternative education, especially while public schools won’t be open.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

If Trump was pushing for remote school these idiots would have been shitting their diapers screeching

that children %$#@ing have to go to school or they will burn the schools down.

Trump has zero credibility - he should just stfu and let the experts decide.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

Kids need to be with other kids, period. Imagine any if you back in grade school and taking a year off, it would be devastating. The kids I went to school with 50-60 years ago are still my friends. Kids also learn better and faster being with their peers. Adolescent suicides are problem that will only get worse.

I'm guessing this is part of the master plan, sort of a late late stage abortion.

2 minutes ago, BillStime said:

image.jpeg.5604a6f480bc64b0dd0db53c89b5725b.jpeg

Irony.

Edited by Unforgiven

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Lmfao.    If I get your education would I have to take the 80% reduction in pay too ? 

It’s a no from me dawg.   

Edited by Teddy KGB

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This is the best argument I've seen so for keeping children home for schooling.

If you are a teacher I wouldn't want my kid anywhere within 5 miles of you.

Edited by Unforgiven
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

If we’re going to have public funding for education, and at this point we’re backwards enough that we are, I’m 100% on board with Betsy DeVos’ suggestion that Federal funding should go directly to the families of students to pursue alternative education, especially while public schools won’t be open.

Completely agree. It's a great idea, and frankly I would love to see them develop a program where this happens regardless of the virus. Tax credits for home schooling or other schools choices, like private/charter schools, like every politician in DC does with their kids.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Completely agree. It's a great idea, and frankly I would love to see them develop a program where this happens regardless of the virus. Tax credits for home schooling or other schools choices, like private/charter schools, like every politician in DC does with their kids.

My preference would be to abolish the Department of Education, and return those responsibilities to the states and municipalities.

Short of that, paying Federal assistance directly to families, and offering tax credits for any money spent on education over and above the subsidy would be ideal.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Two questions you  are easy, if kid is intentionally being unsafe he is suspended, second time he is put online for rest of year. Contact sports must be eliminated for this year at high school level, since they can not make an informed decision. But I appreciate you being reasonable and seeing that the answers are not one size fits all.

Oy.

"Intentionally being unsafe."

Yeah, good luck with that figuring that out in the first place and then going the extra step to enforce it

The lack of respect you guys over here have for education is astounding because much of it stems from sheer ignorance.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Magox said:

Federal food assistance is still available but some parents don't even take advantage of that.  It's understandable from an older teacher's perspective of being afraid to go back to work as schools (especially elementary) are the perfect breeding ground for germs and this is a novel virus.  Getting a cold/flu their first few years is common for a new elementary school teacher until they build up immunity. 

Just to add to your point, studies have shown that kids are about 1/2 to 2/3rds less likely to contract the virus and highly unlikely to transmit it once they have it.  You're pry more likely to contract and spread the virus in a typical office setting.  The fact this isn't common knowledge is where the media fails and the kids are going to be the one's who suffer because of it if they don't reopen in the fall.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Class size is something that has mattered to me long before the pandemic, and it is an issue imo. What would you say the average dimensions of a classroom are for your school? Is every room in the school being utilized concurrently? 

I probably have one of the biggest traditional classrooms on campus and I'm just guessing it's maybe 800 square feet at best. Probably about 30 feet by 25 feet. And oh yes, all rooms are utilized at almost all times on our campus of over 2,000 students.

13 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I could see allowing students that are excelling across the board to continue learning from home as an option to reduce the population a bit. I think there are options. 

Except that would be the heterogeneous classroom that separates students in an education system pushing for the homogenized classroom and inclusion with Special Ed students mixed in with regular students.

I get your point, but I can't see that distinct separation of students in Individual classes actually happening.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I would agree if that was what was being asked, but it simply isn't. Their job is to educate children. Saying that they are being asked to babysit implies that they have no intention of educating, but rather just occupying the kids' time. Every industry is being challenged with how to continue operations in the safest way possible. Teachers aren't being asked to do anything about the economy other than continue their profession. The vast majority of the country is in some phase of reopening, with guidelines and plans in place to mitigate risk as much as possible. I'm not sure why schools would be any different. 

I don't know if you're being disingenuous or if you're just unaware of the wide public sentiment that one of the biggest reasons Trump & Co are pushing so hard for kids to go FULLY back to school IN THE CLASSROOM is for the sake of the economy and childcare most parents can't otherwise afford.

I'm a teacher and education is MY #1 priority, but if education were the #1 priority for everyone including this Administration all along, they would have used the MONTHS we've had now to be sure every child has access to a device of some sort along with Internet and would have required teachers across the country to participate in multiple distance learning Professional Development workshops because we're very clearly going to have at least some form of distance learning.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Ok then Mr. Expert......what's your solution?   You've offered a lot of "it's complicated" and "what about the risks?" hedging, and quite clearly you want to argue with anyone who thinks we need to open schools next month, so that would naturally lead one to suspect that you are not in favor of opening schools.

So go ahead.....outline your plan.    I'm listening.

Above my pay grade, but I think what my school is going to do is a good start.

Block scheduling where you see 3 periods each day for 80 minutes each. 

However, only 1/4th of your students come to class in person in order to minimize students on a campus of 2,000+ students and keep students physically apart in the classroom. One day a week (our school chose Wednesday as a day JUST teachers are in the classroo) dedicated solely to distance learning with potentially Individual students coming in for one on one conferences or tutorials. This means I only see my students physically in the classroom once every 2 weeks to start.

If that's going well, cut to 50% capacity so you see your students once a week.

If that goes well, everyone comes back.

I am actually generally okay with that proposal because I understand the circumstances. A number of my coworkers have serious issues about being in the classroom at all. I completely understand their stances even if it's not my personal position.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, bilzfancy said:

I don't disagree with anything you say here at all.

I believe this year student development is going to suffer.

It's inevitable no matter what we do.

It's mitigation at this point.

4 hours ago, BillStime said:

He should especially because he just makes things worse when he talks.

4 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Lmfao.    If I get your education would I have to take the 80% reduction in pay too ? 

It’s a no from me dawg.   

No worries. I give a good amount of work and have high expectations, anyways.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Unforgiven said:

This is the best argument I've seen so for keeping children home for schooling.

If you are a teacher I wouldn't want my kid anywhere within 5 miles of you.

Thanks for providing me with a fantastic example of the rhetorical fallacy Ad Hominem.

Job never stops

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1