Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

According to multiple sources, Eichel had a contentious exit interview with the organization. No one is commenting, but it’s believed he is exploring — on the advice of his medical team — an artificial disc replacement in his neck.

The Sabres and their captain are believed to have agreed to a month-long “pause” to see how Eichel reacted to rest. The end of that period is approaching, and, from what I understand, he still wants the surgery. The Sabres aren’t thrilled with the idea, and have not indicated they will approve.

I find it hard to believe Eichel isn’t consulting the best of the best, while Buffalo’s reticence comes from artificial disc replacement lacking evidence of its effectiveness on elite-level athletes. It’s a relatively new phenomenon. As far as I could find, there are no examples of NHLers who returned to play after having one.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-caused-disconnect-eichel-sabres/

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I don’t blame the Sabres for not wanting him to get an artificial disc replacement as anything but the last option. I don’t think they’re in the wrong here. I don’t really think Eichel is either for wanting the surgery. I’m sure he’s in pain and wants to be able to relieve it and get back to the only thing he knows - training for + playing hockey. Now, The way Eichel handled his end of season press conference is a different story... I get he’s frustrated but he didn’t exactly handle it like a professional and team captain.

As much as it hurts, I do think the Sabres need to trade him and reset (but only if they get the right offer). He’s been through too much losing, as have a number of other current Sabres. I think that’s a big reason for these loonnnggggg lasting mental collapses/meltdowns every season when things get tough and I’m not sure anymore if you can overcome it with some of these guys on the roster, especially if they already have 1 foot out the door.

Trade them for some high end young talent and a couple good veterans. Vets that are leaders, aren’t washed up and are actually able to still perform on the ice.

Kevyn Adams has a chance to pretty much completely rebuild the team with a couple/few good trades. Eichel and Reinhart should both hold SIGNIFICANT value. 

Hopefully Adams is up to the task...

I just hope KA doesn’t cave in to the pressure and end up taking whatever the best offer is because he feels he has to trade them (or the Pegulas tell him to).

I hope the Sabres realize that they don’t have to trade Eichel this offseason, even if he does officially request a trade.
He’s under contract for 4-5 more years and his NMC doesn’t kick in until after next offseason. Don’t trade him unless a team offers the right deal. 

To buy more time with Reinhart they can qualify him and offer only a multi year deal. If Reinhart refuses and takes them to arbitration, Sabres can then elect for a 2 year deal giving them time to trade Reinhart for proper value. If that fails and for whatever reason they can only get Reinhart under contract for 1 season, then they obviously have to trade him. They could wait until the deadline (and also keep trying to get him signed) but that would be risky.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Eichel is not being honest.

You really still backing the Sabres organization after everything they have done... Or lack of everything.

Edited by TBBills

Some info on the surgery Eichel wants:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2219656/

no previous study has addressed possibilities, limitations and potential risks regarding athletic performance following TDR. Mechanical concerns remain and the implant’s resilience as regards its load-bearing capacity during sporting activities is unknown. 

Thirty-nine athletic patients fulfilled the inclusion criteria for this study. These patients participated in a large variety of different types of sport. Significant and lasting pain-relief was attained following TDR with a mean follow-up of 26.3 months (range 9–50.7 months; FU rate 97.4%). Sporting activity was resumed within the first 3 months (38.5%) to 6 months (30.7%) with peak performance being reached after 5.2 months. Thirty-seven patients (94.9%) achieved resumption of sporting activity. Athletic performance improved significantly in 33 patients (84.6%). Minor subsidence was observed in 13 patients (30%) within the first 3 months with no further implant migration thereafter in 12 patients. 

I can see why the Sabres want him to exhaust other options first.

14 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Are the Sabres set on Granato as the HC? The Rangers just fired David Quinn today per the New York Post.

Granato sure sounded like he already knows he is the HC.

No interest in Quinn

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Some info on the surgery Eichel wants:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2219656/

I can see why the Sabres want him to exhaust other options first.

Therapy will have its shortcomings too.  Would not want to be Eichal with this choice.  He must be in a severe situation

I had a bulging disc in my lower back.  Wow was that painful.  Therapy healed me 100%.

Much later I had a snow-tubing episode with a bulging disc in my neck.  Therapy healed me 100%.  OMG that was many times worse that a back.  Bulging is not as bad as herniation as JE has.  I don't see how Eichal won't have issues as soon as some guy hits him high from behind in a corner.  To that extent, his injury really kills his trade value imo

As I suspected, Eichel was full of crap regarding his side of the injury “disconnect” on Monday. Everyone, INCLUDING Eichel’s own second opinion doctors, agreed on a 12 week conservative rehab timeline, taking new images after that time, and then proceeding on alternatives if required. 

What a shocker that all the medical experts agreed to follow well established medical best practice protocols. 

F Jack Eichel. I’ve long had the impression that he’s a born and raised Bruin fan that never embraced the idea of playing in Buffalo in the first place. He and his pouty ass can’t leave soon enough. Let him take his entitled masshole attitude elsewhere. I mean, what; are we gonna finish worse than last if he leaves? Do whatever we can to accommodate his desire not to be here.

I don’t care how good he is, he’s useless if he doesn’t want to play here. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Actually both Granato and Adams did well. Eichel not so much.

Agree entirely. I think Granato, given where this team is developmentally at the moment, just might be the right guy for the job at the moment; at least in the short term. 

Eichel is an embarrassment for all the bull***t he puts out. The entire Sabres organization may be an embarrassment currently as well, but the Sabres can fix that. Eichel will always be the masshole that he is. 

I’m wondering if after they jettison Eichel and his contract, that they don’t make a full court press to get Reinhart to commit to a long term deal. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

5 hours ago, K-9 said:

As I suspected, Eichel was full of crap regarding his side of the injury “disconnect” on Monday. Everyone, INCLUDING Eichel’s own second opinion doctors, agreed on a 12 week conservative rehab timeline, taking new images after that time, and then proceeding on alternatives if required. 

What a shocker that all the medical experts agreed to follow well established medical best practice protocols. 

F Jack Eichel. I’ve long had the impression that he’s a born and raised Bruin fan that never embraced the idea of playing in Buffalo in the first place. He and his pouty ass can’t leave soon enough. Let him take his entitled masshole attitude elsewhere. I mean, what; are we gonna finish worse than last if he leaves? Do whatever we can to accommodate his desire not to be here.

I don’t care how good he is, he’s useless if he doesn’t want to play here. 

I doubt there's much of anything to that Bruin fan thought.  Jack grew up a BC fan but then went to BU after being recruited by both.  I don't know how familiar you are with that rivalry, but it's not exactly cordial.  He went with the situation that better set himself up moving forward and at this stage, I can't fault any player who thinks they're better moving forward if they're not on this team.

The rest of this situation, the way they're playing it out is downright strange.  I'm one to point my finger towards the agent when a game like this is being played.