Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Would you take Seth Jones and 5th overall  pick from CBJ for eichel? Would be a bad situation for eichel, another bad, Rebuilding team 

No.

Seth Jones is 1 year away from UFA and already told Columbus he’s testing free agency. Why would Buffalo think they could sign him? CBUS has been a much better team than Buffalo and he won’t sign there.

and, without Jones, 5th overall just isn’t a good enough center piece for Eichel.

I just don’t see what Columbus even has to be the center piece of an Eichel trade. 
The value would have to be made up from the 1at round draft picks they hold in this draft. #5, mid 20’s and Tampa’s pick (last?). I’d rather gamble on an unprotected CBUS 1st next year vs. taking back later round picks this year, in a weak draft. 

Im really hoping Adams is just using Columbus to drive up the price with other teams. They just don’t have the high end prospects other teams do. And no interest in either of their goalies unless it’s just a throw in.

17 hours ago, TBBills said:

They need 2 first round picks.

No. 2 firsts isn’t nearly enough. They need high end prospects back. No interest in gambling on picks in an Eichel trade. They need as close to sure things as possible.

The only deals that even remotely interest me would be the Ducks for #3 + Zegras +. Or Chicago for Dach + 11 ++. Or LA for Byfield ++

They need the other teams top prospect, and that prospect has to be a top 5 in the NHL (IMO).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

No.

Seth Jones is 1 year away from UFA and already told Columbus he’s testing free agency. Why would Buffalo think they could sign him? CBUS has been a much better team than Buffalo and he won’t sign there.

and, without Jones, 5th overall just isn’t a good enough center piece for Eichel.

I just don’t see what Columbus even has to be the center piece of an Eichel trade. 
The value would have to be made up from the 1at round draft picks they hold in this draft. #5, mid 20’s and Tampa’s pick (last?). I’d rather gamble on an unprotected CBUS 1st next year vs. taking back later round picks this year, in a weak draft. 

Im really hoping Adams is just using Columbus to drive up the price with other teams. They just don’t have the high end prospects other teams do. And no interest in either of their goalies unless it’s just a throw in.

No. 2 firsts isn’t nearly enough. They need high end prospects back. No interest in gambling on picks in an Eichel trade. They need as close to sure things as possible.

The only deals that even remotely interest me would be the Ducks for #3 + Zegras +. Or Chicago for Dach + 11 ++. Or LA for Byfield ++

They need the other teams top prospect, and that prospect has to be a top 5 in the NHL (IMO).

Not necessarily as I would take Kevin Fiala, Joel Erickson-El, Matthew Boldy and a pick from Minnesota. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

What a win by the Isles in OT! Especially after getting destroyed 8-0 last game.
Amazing they forced a game 7. I really want them to pull off the series win. 

Just wanted to say “Thanks”, for keeping us up to date on NHL and Sabes. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

What a win by the Isles in OT! Especially after getting destroyed 8-0 last game.
Amazing they forced a game 7. I really want them to pull off the series win. 

Did you ever record a game and hope to watch it later, without knowing the result?  Yeah, I’ve done that too

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Sorry, I didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to talk about a hockey game in the hockey thread. 

Did you ever record a game and then voluntarily click on a thread that says "NHL" in the title and then blame your foolishness on somebody else ? - )

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Simon said:

Did you ever record a game and then voluntarily click on a thread that says "NHL" in the title and then blame your foolishness on somebody else ? - )

Oh, certainly I take the blame. I was just a bit exasperated and poking a little fun at the spoiler.

I knew if it was critical, I shouldn’t go online at all. I record games all the time and try to get news without getting the wrong news.  I looked at this Sabres thread thinking there may have been some trade news, btw.  So, sure, I take blame.  Of course

On the other hand, with scores in a hundred places, why do people post spoiler ‘news’?  It is completely unnecessary here and , in a case like mine, completely unwanted.  Just my two cents. Not that the OP wanted to spoil, just that it may indeed be more thoughtful to not provide scores these days

Well, the Sabres curse continues.

Staal traded and will now play for the Cup. 

Hey, maybe we can use it as a selling point to free agents!

”Come sign in Buffalo. We’ll trade you to the eventual cup finalist at the trade deadline, guaranteed!” 

😂

• Haha (+1) 4

These idiots are actually going to trade Jack Eichel before bringing in a proven NHL-winning HC, and seeing if that can solve some of our problems.

I feared this approach several months ago, but at that time had hope they would not be *that* stupid.

Only Terry Pegula would conclude that our problems are somehow related to Jack Eichel--the guy who is, by far, the best player on the team and more than a point a game player when healthy.

I wonder if our garbage goaltending is related to our losing?  Our complete lack of talent and depth throughout the lineup?  Our garbage 3rd and 4th line forwards.  Our mediocre defensive corps?  The completely stalled and regressed development of Dahlin.  Our use of a soccer administrator has a hockey head coach.

Are any of those things related, Terry?  

I've said this for several years now: Terry Pegula is the least informed sports fan you've ever known.

He's "that guy".

Just our luck he ends up owning the team.  

He's a curse and I pray for the day he sells the team to focus on the Bills.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

These idiots are actually going to trade Jack Eichel before bringing in a proven NHL-winning HC, and seeing if that can solve some of our problems.

I feared this approach several months ago, but at that time had hope they would not be *that* stupid.

Only Terry Pegula would conclude that our problems are somehow related to Jack Eichel--the guy who is, by far, the best player on the team and more than a point a game player when healthy.

I wonder if our garbage goaltending is related to our losing?  Our complete lack of talent and depth throughout the lineup?  Our garbage 3rd and 4th line forwards.  Our mediocre defensive corps?  The completely stalled and regressed development of Dahlin.  Our use of a soccer administrator has a hockey head coach.

I've said this for several years now: Terry Pegula is the least informed sports fan you've ever known.

He's "that guy".

By focus on the Bills you mean...stay out of the way and let Beane and McDermott do their thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

He's "that guy".

I’m not here to defend the Pegulas or anything about the recent history of the Sabres but perhaps we shouldn’t be looking at Eichel as if he were some sort of deity.  He is a good hockey player and fun to watch but…..

A number of players have come into Buffalo stating how much they look forward to playing with him.  When they were gone I can’t recall one saying they’d miss playing with him.  Hall, Staal, and ROR are just a few.

The surgery he is seeking is either simply a ploy to get out of town or he is an absolute moron.  Not one major athlete has ever undergone this treatment and his doctor is most likely a quack.  If the Sabres doctors course of action proves fruitless surgery would still be an option.  My guess is that if he is traded the new team will be no more enthusiastic about the surgery than Buffalo.  It’s probably a ploy.

Eichel is from Boston, a town filled with self aggrandizing, arrogant, immature people.  You can take the kid out of Boston but maybe you can’t take the Boston out of the kid.

• Like (+1) 4

I understand why Eichel wants the surgery he does. But I also understand why the Sabres are hesitant.

This article describes the exact procedure he wants, the benefits + risks, looks at the athletes who’ve had it done. Very fair assessment of the situation.

worth a read for Sabres fans.

https://www.diebytheblade.com/platform/amp/2021/5/19/22443208/buffalo-sabres-jack-eichels-artificial-disc-conundrum?__twitter_impression=true

• Thank you (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

He's "that guy".

Jack doesn't want to be here anymore... Pegula didn't conclude anything.

Donnie Meatballs will be named head coach of the Sabres today.

On 6/25/2021 at 6:10 PM, 4merper4mer said:

I’m not here to defend the Pegulas or anything about the recent history of the Sabres but perhaps we shouldn’t be looking at Eichel as if he were some sort of deity.  He is a good hockey player and fun to watch but…..

A number of players have come into Buffalo stating how much they look forward to playing with him.  When they were gone I can’t recall one saying they’d miss playing with him.  Hall, Staal, and ROR are just a few.

The surgery he is seeking is either simply a ploy to get out of town or he is an absolute moron.  Not one major athlete has ever undergone this treatment and his doctor is most likely a quack.  If the Sabres doctors course of action proves fruitless surgery would still be an option.  My guess is that if he is traded the new team will be no more enthusiastic about the surgery than Buffalo.  It’s probably a ploy.

Eichel is from Boston, a town filled with self aggrandizing, arrogant, immature people.  You can take the kid out of Boston but maybe you can’t take the Boston out of the kid.

There's a lot of excuse-making for Jack being unable to succeed with the players he's surrounded by. I think there was always some talent on the Sabres and I blame the parade of bad coaches for misapplying it. But to me Jack never exuded leadership like Josh Allen does. Grant it Josh is in one of the best situations a young QB can be in. But I always got a woe-is-me vibe from Eichel. He expected others to help him succeed, not the other way around.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

The article doesn’t mention it but he’s only had 3 losing seasons in total over his 16 years as a head coach at various levels.

If it was down to Tocchet or Granato (as reported yesterday) I am very glad it’s Granato.

Still would have preferred Boudreau, but if they’re trading away a bunch of veteran players and re-re-rebuilding I’m not sure Boudreau made as much sense. A big reason I wanted Boudreau was to have 1 more kick at the can with an actual proven winner veteran coach w/Eichel still on the roster. I figured this was the last chance for Buffalo to hire a head coach while they still had Eichel and I didn’t think we should gamble on another inexperienced coach. But it seems like Eichel being traded is a foregone conclusion at this point. Same with Reinhart, Risto, etc. 

I wonder if Tocchet could end up being hired as an associate coach?

It’ll also be interesting to see if Matt Ellis and/or Dan Girardi end up on Granato’s staff.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.