Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Heard on the instigators:

That was the Sabres first regulation win in the month of March in THREE YEARS.

Crazy!

Yep.  I was hoping they'd lose last night to keep that streak alive.

We ran into the right team on the right night; Philly is melting down right now and I think their coach is gonna get fired.

This Vancouver Canucks outbreak looks pretty bad.

They are up to 16 players, 3 coaches covid positive so far but I guess the NHL expects basically The entire team to end up testing positive for covid.

best wishes for a speedy recovery for everyone involved!

Their AHL team is also dealing with a covid outbreak, though not as severe. They haven’t played in 3 weeks.

Edited by BillsFan4

54 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

This Vancouver Canucks outbreak looks pretty bad.

They are up to 16 players, 3 coaches covid positive so far but I guess the NHL expects basically The entire team to end up testing positive for covid.

best wishes for a speedy recovery for everyone involved!

Their AHL team is also dealing with a covid outbreak, though not as severe. They haven’t played in 3 weeks.

The NHL is horrible at handling Covid. That isn't good for a dieing sport.

17 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Does that mean a trade for Hall is imminent?

The deadline is this coming Monday. So I think part of it is precaution. But I would hope that they are reasonably sure that a trade will happen. It wouldn’t be the best look to hold him out and then not trade him at the deadline 😂

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

The deadline is this coming Monday. So I think part of it is precaution. But I would hope that they are reasonably sure that a trade will happen. It wouldn’t be the best look to hold him out and then not trade him at the deadline 😂

I think with the mandatory seven day quarantine for Canadian teams trades will come ahead of the deadline this year. He might be dealt today or tomorrow.

17 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Realistic trade hopes for Hall?:

1st rounder or

Legit 3rd line center prospect that could be ready for 21-22 or

Legit goalie prospect that might actually play someday.  Our current pipe dream Lukkkkkononkkonen or however you spell it  has been a “prospect” since Bob Sauve was playing for his middle school team.  I can see the writing on that wall.

Unrealistic trade hopes:

Hall and Skinner for a 5th rounder.  Nobody is taking the remaking 6 years of that albatross contract but one can dream.

46 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

1st rounder or

Legit goalie prospect that might actually play someday.  Our current pipe dream Lukkkkkononkkonen or however you spell it  has been a “prospect” since Bob Sauve was playing for his middle school team.  I can see the writing on that wall.

Unrealistic trade hopes:

Hall and Skinner for a 5th rounder.  Nobody is taking the remaking 6 years of that albatross contract but one can dream.

We need players not picks, as our scouting department hasn't done as any favors lately. Give me a 3rd line player and a prospect and I'll call it a day. I know some mentioned Edmonton as a suitor if so Jesse Puljujarvi and Olivier Rodrigue would make me happy. 

Edited by The Jokeman

or its a group of players trying to play their way out of here at the deadline and also for their UFA. 

Been fooled before.  Organization still sucks.  Stick with Granato and pretend everything is fine on the cheap, we will be right back here in a year. 

12 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

or its a group of players trying to play their way out of here at the deadline and also for their UFA. 

Been fooled before.  Organization still sucks.  Stick with Granato and pretend everything is fine on the cheap, we will be right back here in a year. 

The team is performing under Granato yet they still need to improve talent specifically between the pipes and on the 3rd and 4th lines.  

39 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Organization still sucks.  Stick with Granato and pretend everything is fine on the cheap, we will be right back here in a year. 

25 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

The team is performing under Granato yet they still need to improve talent specifically between the pipes and on the 3rd and 4th lines.  

It's shocking to see the lack of talent in this organization.

Of the 30 players in the organization that have NHL contracts, there's only 7-8 of them who should be playing in the NHL right now.

• Agree 1

What a game by Dahlin last night!!

Mittelstadt had a really good game too. And Thompson looked pretty good as well. So did Rasmus Asplund. Actually, all the kids are playing pretty good hockey right now. It’s definitely nice to see. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

1st rounder or

Unrealistic trade hopes:

I’ll be shocked if we get a 1st for him the way he’s played this season. 

I don’t really care about the pick at all. Just get a decent prospect close to NHL ready. What you mentioned sounds great.

I don’t see Skinner going anywhere. He has a full no move clause and with the NHL salary cap staying flat for the next 4 years, cap space is at more of a premium than I can ever remember. Look at all the good players that have passed through waivers this season because of their cap hits. No team wants to take on cap right now.

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

No doubt there are players that want out, but they aren’t the ones spearheading the turnaround of late. And good riddance to those losers, anyway. 

I’m not advocating for Granato one way or the other; just saying if he continues the trend the rest of the season, he deserves consideration. What’s your specific objection to Granato? That he’s not Beaudreau or Julien? 

Pretend everything is fine? Yeah, ok. 

18 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

What a game by Dahlin last night!!

Mittelstadt had a really good game too. And Thompson looked pretty good as well. So did Rasmus Asplund. Actually, all the kids are playing pretty good hockey right now. It’s definitely nice to see. 

That saucer to Asplund was as good as it gets. I’m enjoying watching the young players because there is little else to grab my attention after not watching a game for nearly a month. Need to see Ruotsalainen in the lineup though. Not sure why Granato chose to dress a 7th Dman to replace Hall last night instead. 

19 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’ll be shocked if we get a 1st for him the way he’s played this season. 

I don’t really care about the pick at all. Just get a decent prospect close to NHL ready. What you mentioned sounds great.

I don’t see Skinner going anywhere. He has a full no move clause and with the NHL salary cap staying flat for the next 4 years, cap space is at more of a premium than I can ever remember. Look at all the good players that have passed through waivers this season because of their cap hits. No team wants to take on cap right now.

Skinner is infuriating. He has NO hockey sense whatsoever. Zero. Zilch. And we are stuck with that albatross contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, K-9 said:

No doubt there are players that want out, but they aren’t the ones spearheading the turnaround of late. And good riddance to those losers, anyway. 

I’m not advocating for Granato one way or the other; just saying if he continues the trend the rest of the season, he deserves consideration. What’s your specific objection to Granato? That he’s not Beaudreau or Julien? 

Pretend everything is fine? Yeah, ok. 

I would say Montour is a big part of the 'turnaround'.  He cant wait to get out of here.  Also guessing Ullmark is counting down the days.  

The team has been doubling down on inexperience or giving a shot for too many years.  They need someone, somewhere with real NHL experience in their roles. They are in need of something significant to happen in their organization.  

I also think it will be very difficult to continue this trend.  It is better than an 18 game losing streak, but their R wins are against the Flyers who are a train wreck currently and the Devils, who the Sabres should be 10x better than on paper.   I dont mean to disqualify their wins, but waiting to see what happens after the deadline and how they play against the real teams.     

They have shown little small-sample-size glimpses in the past that mean nothing and seem to give ownership an excuse to stick with the status-quo and resist much needed changes.  The league is designed to make almost every team believe they are over .500 and 'decent'.  The Sabres are up against some really good front offices and coaches in their (typical) division.  Going at it with Don Granato and Kevyn Adams isn't going to be competitive.

59 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That saucer to Asplund was as good as it gets. I’m enjoying watching the young players because there is little else to grab my attention after not watching a game for nearly a month. Need to see Ruotsalainen in the lineup though. Not sure why Granato chose to dress a 7th Dman to replace Hall last night instead. 

Skinner is infuriating. He has NO hockey sense whatsoever. Zero. Zilch. And we are stuck with that albatross contract. 

Apparently R2 was held out due to cap restrictions.  Probably need to wait until someone is dealt as late I checked , they were only 400k below the cap. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I would say Montour is a big part of the 'turnaround'.  He cant wait to get out of here.  Also guessing Ullmark is counting down the days.  

The team has been doubling down on inexperience or giving a shot for too many years.  They need someone, somewhere with real NHL experience in their roles. They are in need of something significant to happen in their organization.  

I also think it will be very difficult to continue this trend.  It is better than an 18 game losing streak, but their R wins are against the Flyers who are a train wreck currently and the Devils, who the Sabres should be 10x better than on paper.   I dont mean to disqualify their wins, but waiting to see what happens after the deadline and how they play against the real teams.     

They have shown little small-sample-size glimpses in the past that mean nothing and seem to give ownership an excuse to stick with the status-quo and resist much needed changes.  The league is designed to make almost every team believe they are over .500 and 'decent'.  The Sabres are up against some really good front offices and coaches in their (typical) division.  Going at it with Don Granato and Kevyn Adams isn't going to be competitive.

Montour has been better, as has our entire D structure under Granato who insists on taking their shackles off and wants them to be more involved offensively; a complete 180 from Krueger. That’s not Montour all of a sudden deciding to play well in order to get traded, that’s a direct result of a coaching decision. 

Ullmark has been solid going back to last season, was putting up very respectable numbers before the losing streak, and has simply picked up where he left off. So I doubt he, too, just decided to play better in order to get traded. And I doubt he’s going anywhere. 

I agree entirely that the rest of the season will be a difficult road to hoe vs. mostly playoff contending teams, which is why I think it’s a good test Granato and these young players. And again, if they show well, I think Granato should be considered. So I’ll ask again, what is your specific gripe against Granato? Is it because he’s not Beaudreau or Julien? What if the Rutherford and Karmanos rumors pan out and they, in all their NHL wisdom, indeed decide Granato is their guy? Would you support that decision if it came from them instead of Adams or Pegula?

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

Apparently R2 was held out due to cap restrictions.  Probably need to wait until someone is dealt as late I checked , they were only 400k below the cap. 

Much appreciated, inkman. I thought Granato channeled his inner Krueger for a while there. 

Ullmark is a UFA.  he is a goner.  

And if they brought in Rutherford and Karmanos, then yes, I would defer to their wisdom and experience on Granato, and feel overall better about the organization.

Adams and Pegula?  lol.   This organization is such a heavy lift right now.  Zero trust going at it with zero experience anywhere (in the places that are actually staffed).  I want nobody there to witness a few good games or even a good month and decide that the ship is righted.  

Its stunning to me that the Pegulas decided to make Kruger the 5th highest paid coach in the NHL when they hired him.  

25 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Ullmark is a UFA.  he is a goner.  

And if they brought in Rutherford and Karmanos, then yes, I would defer to their wisdom and experience on Granato, and feel overall better about the organization.

Adams and Pegula?  lol.   This organization is such a heavy lift right now.  Zero trust going at it with zero experience anywhere (in the places that are actually staffed).  I want nobody there to witness a few good games or even a good month and decide that the ship is righted.  

Its stunning to me that the Pegulas decided to make Kruger the 5th highest paid coach in the NHL when they hired him.  

I appreciate the answer. What would convince Rutherford and Karmanos that Granato is a good choice for the job?

We will see about Ullmark. If he’s not traded by the deadline, my bet is that he will re-sign here. 

Everybody was fooled by Krueger and his silver-tongued bullcrap. Everybody. 

• Like (+1) 1

If Chad's rumor about Karmanos was true, he'd be working for the Sabres by now.

With every day that passes, I'm thinking that is not going to happen.

Don't want Rutherford near this team; he's over the hill at 72, was a failure in his last go-around, and in general, I don't want anyone from the Penguins organization touching the Sabres.  They are not the organization to copy IMO.

You have to remember any success the Penguins have enjoyed is largely b/c they have 2 of the best 5 players in the world on their team.  That skews things a bit; further, given that they have 2 of the top 5, they haven't won nearly enough.

I would much rather copy LA, as their roster was constructed when they won their 2 recent cups; that was the perfect NHL playoff team IMO.

They were sweeping series and not even losing single games; ironically, it was GMTM who wanted to build a "heavy" team in the LA mold, but he didn't stick around long enough to pull it off.

Some day, Pegula is going to learn that if you keep switching what checkout line you are in at the grocery store, you'll never check out.

10 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

If Chad's rumor about Karmanos was true, he'd be working for the Sabres by now.

With every day that passes, I'm thinking that is not going to happen.

Don't want Rutherford near this team; he's over the hill at 72, was a failure in his last go-around, and in general, I don't want anyone from the Penguins organization touching the Sabres.  They are not the organization to copy IMO.

You have to remember any success the Penguins have enjoyed is largely b/c they have 2 of the best 5 players in the world on their team.  That skews things a bit; further, given that they have 2 of the top 5, they haven't won nearly enough.

I would much rather copy LA, as their roster was constructed when they won their 2 recent cups; that was the perfect NHL playoff team IMO.

They were sweeping series and not even losing single games; ironically, it was GMTM who wanted to build a "heavy" team in the LA mold, but he didn't stick around long enough to pull it off.

Some day, Pegula is going to learn that if you keep switching what checkout line you are in at the grocery store, you'll never check out.

Supposedly everything was put on hold until after the trade deadline.

I still think that Jason Karmanos joins the front office. Pretty much every hockey analyst has said it’s going to happen. I do feel like the Rutherford thing is less likely though. 

I really hope they still add some type of team president or senior advisor. It’s not that I really wanted Rutherford specifically. Just someone experienced who has connections around the NHL and can help Adams rebuild the organization (front office, scouting, coaching, etc).

edit - also forgot to say, I think the thing I liked most about the rumored deal with Rutherford:

that he required a written agreement with the Pegulas that they wouldn’t interfere in hockey operations.

Edited by BillsFan4

58 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

of all the players waived this season.... 🤷‍♂️

I will say He is a high effort/energy guy and the Sabres could use more of that.

He's low cost and younger, toss he doesn't score many goals so he should fit right in. 

• Like (+1) 1

Ciao, Montour.  Glad to be rid of you! 

Botterill took a prospect (Guhle), added a first round pick, turned it into Montour, which we have now turned into a third round pick.

And people wonder why we are bad.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.