Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

12 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Meaning people who are clueless will think he is a bust?

You’re right, they are different.

Edmunds looks like he gives a crap and puts forth effort.

Can’t say that about Dahlin. He’s not a bust, but he’s not a generational difference maker by any stretch. And he won’t be until he ups his effort.

18 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I thought Hutton might have had an excuse because he played hurt last year.  Wrong.  He suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

He’s not an NHL caliber goaltender, at least not for the Sabres.

We desperately need a better backup goalie (Johansson isn’t NHL caliber either. He might not even be AHL caliber) or Krueger just needs to start Ullmark for every single game (not very realistic).

You can see how deflated the team gets when Hutton lets in a softie. It has to be demoralizing.

37 minutes ago, K-9 said:

So, after 10 games, Curtis Lazar has more goals than Eichel and Skinner...combined

As does Rieder.  

Skinner is completely snake bit.  He continues to generate scoring chances but can't buy a goal at this point.  Eichel does not look like himself.  He and Hall were mostly ineffective against the Devils.

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2021/02/02/devils-forced-to-postpone-three-games-because-of-covid/

Devils having a covid outbreak right after we played them.

I wonder what that means for the Sabres?

The Devils played back-to-back games against the Sabres in Buffalo on Saturday and Sunday. Center Travis Zajac missed Saturday’s game after a positive test and forward Kyle Palmieri did not play Sunday after a positive test.

On Monday, Andreas Johnsson, Janne Kuokkanen, Michael McLeod and Pavel Zacha all tested positive. They played in the games over the weekend.

New Jersey now has 10 players on the COVID list, including No. 1 goaltender Mackenzie Blackwood.

Yikes.

edit - yup. Game postponed today. Hopefully no sabres end up with covid.

NHL covid protocols don’t seem to be going as well as the NFL’s so far. But they also don’t have the money to pour into it that the NFL does.

edit 2- 

wtf type of covid protocol does the NHL have?

Maybe they simply can’t quarantine close contacts because literally every player on the team would be considered a close contact?

edit 3-

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Sabres are shut down until at least Saturday. What a mess.

Well that sucks. I think the Sabres have a legitimate gripe against the Devils and the league because the Devils never should have been allowed to play over the weekend.

I’m certain that Matt Irwin is safe though, because he never got close enough to a Devils player to catch the virus.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Well that sucks. I think the Sabres have a legitimate gripe against the Devils and the league because the Devils never should have been allowed to play over the weekend.

I’m certain that Matt Irwin is safe though, because he never got close enough to a Devils player to catch the virus.

I agree that the Sabres have a major gripe.  This is especially true if, as reported, they asked about status and were ignored.  They can’t really do anything like leave for the WHA so they’re basically screwed.  It really sucks for the guys who got sick.

• Like (+1) 2

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2020/division

man, the Sabres division looks brutal.

top 3 teams win-loss records:

7-2-1

6-1-3

6-1-2

then the penguins at 5-4-1

Sabres are 4-4-2

I feel like their only real shot at the post season is either that #4 spot, or staying right on the playoff bubble and hoping the NHL expands the number of teams in the post season to 24 again (because of complications with cancelled games, etc). 

btw, holy **** how bad is Ottawa this season?? They are 1-8-1 and already have a -24 goal differential! 

Super glad Botterill wasn’t around to trade for Matt Murray when Ottawa did... 😂

28 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2020/division

man, the Sabres division looks brutal.

top 3 teams win-loss records:

7-2-1

6-1-3

6-1-2

then the penguins at 5-4-1

Sabres are 4-4-2

I feel like their only real shot at the post season is either that #4 spot, or staying right on the playoff bubble and hoping the NHL expands the number of teams in the post season to 24 again (because of complications with cancelled games, etc). 

btw, holy **** how bad is Ottawa this season?? They are 1-8-1 and already have a -24 goal differential! 

Super glad Botterill wasn’t around to trade for Matt Murray when Ottawa did... 😂

I think they can get in at the number 4 spot. Pittsburgh isn't as good as they once were and the rest of the division doesn't look good at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

Montour and Rieder added to the COVID list for a total of four Sabres so far. Devils are up to 17 in the protocol. I expect more Sabres will be added soon enough. I also suspect other teams are gonna go through similar travails. 

No pun intended, but this NHL season is on thin ice moving forward. I doubt it will be completed without a major shutdown before hand.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.